The Bills and Patrick Mahomes

gotme365

These “what if” debates are pointless because judging GMs based on who they didn’t draft is generally an unfair metric.  There are some situations in which it would be fair, but this isn’t one of them.  For example, if the Jets trade away the first pick and Lawrence becomes a superstar, it would be fair to hammer them.  Mahomes wasn’t the consensus can’t miss guy, though.  He wasn’t even the consensus number 2 QB.  There’s a reason he was available at 10.

McDermott had a plan.  He wanted to use his pick at 10 as a way to move up in the 2018 draft and grab a QB.  He did that, and if Allen turns into a legit star, it would be a success even if he had given up his first in 2017 and 2018 entirely to move up in 2018.  He didn’t, though.  He moved down in 2017 in order to move up in 2018 and still walked away with a ProBowl CB.  

Read that again.  McDermott had the 10th pick in the 2017 draft and the 22nd pick in the 2018 draft.  He turned that into an elite CB and a potentially elite QB.  Oh by the way, he managed to take the team to the playoffs for the first time in 18 years in the season separating the two drafts.  And people are STILL complaining.  It makes no sense.

Edited by Billl
  • Like (+1) 3

Interesting read - makes you think about a lot of what if's.  At the end of the day JA is the QB and PM isn't.  It is what it is and we are where we are.  I for one am excited about JA.  Warner's take?  How in the jack diddly muthureff does he know whats going on INSIDE of ANYONE's head.  He can take that jesus loving BS of his somewhere else.  Last I checked no one died and left him god of analyzing QB talent.

Go BILLS!  Go JA!

1 hour ago, FUTURIST said:

Mahomes would not be Mahomes if he came to Buffalo and had the Bills receivers and offensive line his first few years.  He was put into an offense with a ton of weapons and had a line that could actually block.

Mahomes is better than Allen, but the difference is not as large as people believe.  Mahomes is an A+ talent. Allen is an A- talent.  Guaranteed Hall of Famer vs borderline Hall of Famer.

Are your grades based on current performance or expected?  That is, Mahomes is already close to his ceiling--he will get marginally better as he matures.  Allen made a very significant jump this year, but there is so much more room to grow--there is significantly more space (compared to PM) between where he is and what he's capable of.  In two years, I won't be surprised to see a post or article, similar to this post, with the conclusion "Thank goodness Pegula didn't prevail..."

• Like (+1) 1

You guys do realize that the premise of this article is completely false and made up, right? The Bills never wanted Mahomes in 2017. 

Tyler Dunne literally made this whole thing up to add to the media's Anti-Josh Allen campaign. I can promise you - Pegula never wanted Mahomes in 2017. That's a flat out lie. 

Then again, Josh Allen will be better than Patrick Mahomes when he gets a #1 TE and a #1 RB...2 things that Mahomes has that Allen doesn't have...yet. Allen is more talented than Mahomes and still has the higher ceiling. Mahomes has the much better Coach and Offensive Cast, and probably would not even be a star player in Buffalo.

12 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Damn! I really wish I didn’t read this article...I think I’m gonna be sick....

The article is fake. Completely fake.

It's just adding to the media's Anti-Josh Allen campaign.

Nothing in this article is even true.

Don't be gullible and naive. Think.

This article is a direct response to my post in this thread:

https://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/809287-josh-allen-2020-outlook/page/17/

You see the 1st post on that page? (Page 17)

That's why this article was written.

I called out the media for getting played for fools (which is true)

100% Lies. The Bills NEVER wanted Mahomes in 2017. Do not believe this made up story. Completely made up out of nowhere to generate Josh Allen hate.

Edited by JoshAllenReceipts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Oh man I’m disgusted we were that close to Mahomes. A true ALPHA

Maybe you should take a break from TSW for a while until you recover.

If ever there was an ALPHA it's Josh.

Josh is the perfect QB for the Bills, I wouldn't trade him for anyone. 

All these whiney posts, what if...should of, Mahomes, 3 years after the fact need to GTFOH.

Take the panties off and put some big boy pants on, get behind Josh and stop crying, or go wash Mahome balls at the KC board.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Interesting that the two 2s the Bills traded to Tampa in the Josh Allen trade up (#53 and 56) amounted to MJ Stewart (DB drafted by TB) and Duke Dawson (DB drafted by NE). Neither are still with Tampa, nor their original team. Not trying to knock either player since the draft is a crapshoot, but also speaks to how much teams and fans (myself included) over value draft picks sometimes. 

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Tyler Dunne has been thoroughly exposed.

Btw, he also used Doug Whaley (total lie) because I also dissed Whaley in the past for being an abhorrent GM, which he was.

Your participation in this conversation is unhinged and bizarre. Can you provide (I feel like I'm talking to Rudy Giuliani) any information that might give you a shred of credibility?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Your participation in this conversation is unhinged and bizarre. Can you provide (I feel like I'm talking to Rudy Giuliani) any information that might give you a shred of credibility?

It's a very very long story. Just take my word for it.

Remember that I made this 1st post on Page 17:

I also dissed Doug Whaley in the past. Hence, Tyler Dunne: "I spoke with Doug Whaley and he told me this" . Complete BS. 1000% Lies.

Just take my word for it. This entire article is a complete lie. Do not believe a single word. I put that on my mother and grandmother's grave. 

The Buffalo Bills were NEVER interested in Mahomes in 2017. 

Me, speaking on the media's negative bias towards Josh Allen:

"That's a beautiful thing....it keeps him under the radar and allows him to go out there and take a dump on his haters with nothing to lose. Much easier to play without the burden of expectations. The media is actually doing Josh Allen a huge favor (they're too stupid to realize it tho, that's the funny part). The media has completely taken the pressure off of JA. They are being played for the fools they are."

This article is a direct response to the above post I made.

TRUST ME. 

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And thank god Terry made the right choice of staying out of the way and letting the football people do their jobs. Maybe he should take more of that stance on the hockey side.

I guess I should have said "Was never going to happen as long as it was up to McD", and it was. Luckily.

Umm nope. Bills are a better team today with Mahomes whether people want to admit it or not.

Mahomes will be the best player in football for years to come. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ugh, I loved Ty Dunne while he was working for TBN.  I don't know what path his career took but he's started this new football site "Golongtd" and I wish him well.

If this article is an example of his content, though, I'm not feeling it.    It reads as very contrived.

"Everyone associated with the Bills — from Sean McDermott to all faithful servants pounding Cajun-Honey Butter BBQ wings at Bar Bill — is overwhelmed with hope because the Bills, Your Bills, are Super Bowl contenders, *****, and no sober Western New Yorker has been able to say that for 20-plus years. "

Does anyone really feel the Bills are legit Superbowl Contenders this year?  Do we think that's What McDermott believes?  Dunne doesn't make a case for that.  He just asserts it.

I think we all believe the Bills "have a shot IF".  IF the defense gets its act together and toughens up.  IF we get a couple key players back and that makes a difference.  IF the AWOL run game shows up along with the OL getting healthier.   IF we do our job and finish the season strong, instead of letting other teams hang around in the game or come back on us, and sneak past us at the end.    I think you see it in the thread titles here.

Beane has said stuff like "we're not one player away" and declined to make moves at the trade deadline, where other teams like Baltimore, KC etc did.

Lastly the bit about the Bills being close to drafting Mahomes because Pegula liked him.  "the Bills’ brass then decided to trade down from 10th overall to 27th to pick up a future first-rounder with hopes Mahomes would slide."  Really?  Who did the Bills think KC was trading up for then?  C'mon Man, teams only make moves like that for a QB and from what I recall, KC's interest in Mahomes was well known before the draft.  Reid and McDermott are close.

Dunne seems to be banking on the recollections of a guys who got the boot after that draft - Monos.  Maybe he's remembering correctly.  Or maybe he's making a retrospective case that the scouting staff he was part of didn't make a huge whiff, they loved Mahomes, they wanted Mahomes, they Did Their Job and the owner did his, McDermott just whiffed?

So his conclusion is that Josh Allen is under more pressure than any player in professional football because everyone expects the Bills to be Superbowl contenders and Pegula wanted them to draft Mahomes just seems quite contrived to me. 

I think he tried to lead with that to give the article Current Relevance instead of being Yet Another 2018 Draft Rehash, but it didn't work.

If anyone would be under pressure, it seems to me that would be McDermott - and he just got a big extension.

1) The Bills are legit SB contenders the same way that Manning's SB winning Broncos were and Flacco's SB winning Ravens were.

The Steelers and Patriots were much better all around teams than those Broncos......but injuries to those teams opened up a path for a team with woeful QB play...........and on the flip side Flacco just got red hot and the Ravens upset Manning and Brady.     And the other SB that Manning won in Indy they got there because half the Patriots team was ill with the flu.    

If ever there was a postseason that could go sideways for the teams with the highest SB odds,   it's THIS one.    

2) The story about Pegula wanting to select Mahomes was out there immediately after that draft...........it was discussed here.  @thebandit27 talked about it, among others.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Umm nope. Bills are a better team today with Mahomes whether people want to admit it or not.

The Bills were never even remotely interested in Mahomes in 2017.

On a scale of 1-10, their interest level was a 0. Zero. Zip. Nada. Zilch. 

See above posts.

13 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

I also dissed Doug Whaley in the past. Hence, Tyler Dunne: "I spoke with Doug Whaley and he told me this" . Complete BS. 1000% Lies.

Just take my word for it. This entire article is a complete lie. Do not believe a single word. I put that on my mother and grandmother's grave. 

"That's a beautiful thing....it keeps him under the radar and allows him to go out there and take a dump on his haters with nothing to lose. Much easier to play without the burden of expectations. The media is actually doing Josh Allen a huge favor (they're too stupid to realize it tho, that's the funny part). The media has completely taken the pressure off of JA. They are being played for the fools they are."

TRUST ME. 

You want us to believe that Ty Dunne wrote this article as a response to YOU — some random dude on a message board — and that Monos colluded with him by making up a story about Terry Pegula?

Forgive me, but it seems FAR more likely that you have paranoid delusions of grandeur.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

See above posts.

Your responses in here are... fascinating.

What makes you believe TD is writing articles in direct response to a barely seen message board post? Does he post there too?

• Thank you (+1) 1

See above posts.

I’d rather watch Guy Fieri take a shower than read any of the above posts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

giphy.gif

Just now, Jay_Fixit said:

I’d rather watch Guy Fieri take a shower than read any of the above posts.

Make you a permanent resident of FLAVOR TOWN!

8 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

TRUST ME. 

How does it benefit Whaley to admit he bungled the pick when the owner strongly urged him to take Mahomes? Also what are you smoking and where can I get some?

I'm impressed with Josh this year but Mahomes will be the goat barring an injury. I dont care about his weapons, they are amazing but even when hill and kelce go out he gets it done with journeymen. It could be far worse since Josh is a franchise qb now so I'm over it.