The Bills and Patrick Mahomes

gotme365

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's not what the article says.  It says Whaley and Monos wanted to trade down and get Mahomes at 27 or get a QB the following year.  That was their recommendation to the Pegulas. Terry was the one who wanted Mahomes so badly that he'd do it at 10.  So Monos is admitting that he and Whaley may have had it wrong and Terry alone understood what Mahomes would become.

Fair.

imho, Allen is still getting better, and will ultimately be comprable to PM as an NFL QB.  He has the head and the physical tools to do it.  My heartburn, assuming both are extremely capable, is that Buffalo paid a huge price in draft choices to get Allen, whereas they could have had PM for their #12 that year, and kept all those other choices.  The team, then, might be better right now than it is....via more higher draft choice populating other positions.

59 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ugh, I loved Ty Dunne while he was working for TBN.  I don't know what path his career took but he's started this new football site "Golongtd" and I wish him well.

If this article is an example of his content, though, I'm not feeling it.    It reads as very contrived.

"Everyone associated with the Bills — from Sean McDermott to all faithful servants pounding Cajun-Honey Butter BBQ wings at Bar Bill — is overwhelmed with hope because the Bills, Your Bills, are Super Bowl contenders, *****, and no sober Western New Yorker has been able to say that for 20-plus years. "

Does anyone really feel the Bills are legit Superbowl Contenders this year?  Do we think that's What McDermott believes?  Dunne doesn't make a case for that.  He just asserts it.

I think we all believe the Bills "have a shot IF".  IF the defense gets its act together and toughens up.  IF we get a couple key players back and that makes a difference.  IF the AWOL run game shows up along with the OL getting healthier.   IF we do our job and finish the season strong, instead of letting other teams hang around in the game or come back on us, and sneak past us at the end.    I think you see it in the thread titles here.

Beane has said stuff like "we're not one player away" and declined to make moves at the trade deadline, where other teams like Baltimore, KC etc did.

Lastly the bit about the Bills being close to drafting Mahomes because Pegula liked him.  "the Bills’ brass then decided to trade down from 10th overall to 27th to pick up a future first-rounder with hopes Mahomes would slide."  Really?  Who did the Bills think KC was trading up for then?  C'mon Man, teams only make moves like that for a QB and from what I recall, KC's interest in Mahomes was well known before the draft.  Reid and McDermott are close.

Dunne seems to be banking on the recollections of a guys who got the boot after that draft - Monos.  Maybe he's remembering correctly.  Or maybe he's making a retrospective case that the scouting staff he was part of didn't make a huge whiff, they loved Mahomes, they wanted Mahomes, they Did Their Job and the owner did his, McDermott just whiffed?

So his conclusion is that Josh Allen is under more pressure than any player in professional football because everyone expects the Bills to be Superbowl contenders and Pegula wanted them to draft Mahomes just seems quite contrived to me. 

I think he tried to lead with that to give the article Current Relevance instead of being Yet Another 2018 Draft Rehash, but it didn't work.

If anyone would be under pressure, it seems to me that would be McDermott - and he just got a big extension.

How legit they are depends on if they can play their best football late in the year or not.  Clearly this team when playing like they did against Seattle or Las Vegas can beat any team in the NFL. The question is how consistently will we see those games versus the one we saw against Arizona or Tennessee?

The key to winning the Super Bowl is both having enough talent AND peaking at the right time. And sometimes getting lucky with matchups in the playoffs if there is an upset of a better team.

And there are a number of teams who have won the Super Bowl that had IF's attached to them at this time during the season, so that doesn't really mean much at this point. It only means something in January.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

For all the talk about Mahomes as a potential GOAT and also Mahomes vs. Allen, just look at all the weapons Mahomes has to work with......Kelce, Hardman, Hill, Clyde, Sammy.....and now Bell. It's almost an embarrassment of riches. If the Bills had the most valuable of these weapons (a monster TE), the narrative might be a bit different.

The other thing about this article that I find interesting is McDermott's approach.   He didn't want a QB at 10 because of the signal it would send to his team.   He wanted his team to believe they could win now, and drafting a QB at 10 would say they were starting over.  McDermott in fact knew he was starting over, but he wanted the rebuild to start in the following year.   The first year was about establishing culture (which is something he said at the time).  Taking Mahomes at 10 would mean Mahomes pretty much had to start, and that says "REBUILD!!"   White and 10 and Mahomes at 27 says "Mahomes is the future, but Tyrod and White are going to win for us now."  

It's very interesting, but not surprising, that McDermott was that strategic about that draft.  

3 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

For all the talk about Mahomes as a potential GOAT and also Mahomes vs. Allen, just look at all the weapons Mahomes has to work with......Kelce, Hardman, Hill, Clyde, Sammy.....and now Bell. It's almost an embarrassment of riches. If the Bills had the most valuable of these weapons (a monster TE), the narrative might be a bit different.

Plus a certifiable offensive genius for a head coach.  

I think Mahomes and Allen are the Manning and Brady of their generation.  

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I like who we have thank you very much. I am just tired of hearing about Mahombs

( I spelled his name wrong un purpose)

3 minutes ago, A Firm Tree Does Not Fear said:

coulda, shoulda, didn't.

what is past, is past. who cares what some think about what could of been. JA is a buffalo bill, take it or leave it.

Hear, hear! I'm sick of these "we could've had Mahomes" threads. GET OVER IT!

This is worse than the Russell Wilson threads.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The other thing about this article that I find interesting is McDermott's approach.   He didn't want a QB at 10 because of the signal it would send to his team.   He wanted his team to believe they could win now, and drafting a QB at 10 would say they were starting over.  McDermott in fact knew he was starting over, but he wanted the rebuild to start in the following year.   The first year was about establishing culture (which is something he said at the time).  Taking Mahomes at 10 would mean Mahomes pretty much had to start, and that says "REBUILD!!"   White and 10 and Mahomes at 27 says "Mahomes is the future, but Tyrod and White are going to win for us now."  

It's very interesting, but not surprising, that McDermott was that strategic about that draft.  

Plus a certifiable offensive genius for a head coach.  

I think Mahomes and Allen are the Manning and Brady of their generation.  

2 great points

That was one helluva article.

Eye-opening.

What I (and many others) suspected about that bum Rex Ryan was true. He wanted the glamour of the NFL but didn't want the work that came along with it.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

If you read it, that's not correct... Terry was close to just overruling and taking Mahomes at 10.  Good article btw.

And for as long as he owned team there would be "fans" complaining about a non-football person making football decisions.

Those who want to constantly bring this up please write about Nazis winning WWII.  At least it is more interesting when done right.

1 hour ago, gotme365 said:

According to this article Pegula really wanted Mahomes. I love Josh but reading this made me really sad.

https://golongtd.substack.com/p/part-i-the-pressure-is-on-josh-allen

What a fantastic read, so much interesting information for Bills fans. Also, the critique of "Josh Allen's improvement opportunities" is right on the money. All that is good about Josh is fantastic. However, he must continue developing his recognition and processing skills (as he has so far) if he/we are going to be elite now and for years to come.

Thanks for sharing. This made my morning.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

imho, Allen is still getting better, and will ultimately be comprable to PM as an NFL QB.  He has the head and the physical tools to do it.  My heartburn, assuming both are extremely capable, is that Buffalo paid a huge price in draft choices to get Allen, whereas they could have had PM for their #12 that year, and kept all those other choices.  The team, then, might be better right now than it is....via more higher draft choice populating other positions.

The price wasn’t really that bad at all, when you factor in them getting Tre White with the trade-down pick and then the Chiefs 1st rounder the following year.  
Getting Allen cost them Cordy Glenn, and then the 2 second rounders.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

If you read it, that's not correct... Terry was close to just overruling and taking Mahomes at 10.  Good article btw.

I think you mean, if you BELIEVE it, that's not correct.   Just because he wrote it doesn't make it true.   Was Tyler Dunne in any draft meetings with Pegula, Whaley, and McD?

• Like (+1) 1