Russell Bodine & Ryan Groy & Mitch Morse Saga

LB48

When Eric Wood retired abruptly after the 2017 season the Bills needed a new Center. 

First came Russell Bodine who was signed a a free-agent in 2018 after 4 years with the Bengals.  I remember how his signing was disliked on this Board.  He wasn't good!

When Bodine was injured during the season Ryan Groy took over as the starting Center.  He was actually a guard.  He didn't do the job either.

With Josh Allen on board the team needed an experienced Center who could protect their asset.  Mitch Morse was signed to a 4 year / $44,500,000 contract in 2019. He was graded by PFF as the NFL's 6th best Center in '18.  Now, his status with the Bills is in question.

NOW - the irony of it all.  

The Bills traded Bodine for a 2020 6th round pick to the PATRIOTS.  The team cut him one week later.  The resulting 6th round pick is Isaiah Hodgins who was activated just this week by the Bills.  He's a 6'4 receiver who could well help the team as a big target.

Now Bodine is a Center for the Detroit Lions and Groy is a Guard for the CHARGERS!

GO BILLS!

Edited by LB48

38 minutes ago, LB48 said:

When Eric Wood retired abruptly after the 2017 season the Bills needed a new Center. 

First came Russell Bodine who was signed a a free-agent in 2018 after 4 years with the Bengals.  I remember how his signing was disliked on this Board.  He wasn't good!

When Bodine was injured during the season Ryan Groy took over as the starting Center.  He was actually a guard.  He didn't do the job either.

With Josh Allen on board the team needed an experienced Center who could protect their asset.  Mitch Morse was signed to a 4 year / $44,500,000 contract in 2019. He was graded by PFF as the NFL's 6th best Center in '18.  Now, his status with the Bills is in question.

The Bills traded Bodine for a 2020 6th round pick to the PATRIOTS.  The team cut him one week later.  The resulting 6th round pick is Isaiah Hodgins who was activated just this week by the Bills.  He's a 6'4 receiver who could well help the team as a big target.

Now Bodine is a Center for the Detroit Lions and Groy is a Guard for the CHARGERS!

GO BILLS!

Glad to see that “Jethro” is still gainfully employed.  

1 hour ago, LB48 said:

Now, his status with the Bills is in question

I mean, he was injured and they sat him the game before a bye week. Unless I missed something I expect he'll be starting at center this week, unless you mean his status is in question because the amount of concussions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LB48 said:

GO BILLS!

I would take Groy over Winters right about now 

Groy was serviceable at center his first year and then sucked his second year.

Morse was a disappointment last year in terms of the money spent.  PFF may have had him 6th but other ratings had him outside the top 10.  Beane made him the highest paid center in the league continuing a pattern over spending on free agents - Murphy Starr, Ivory etc...  He performed as he has in the past - a middle of the road center that was a significant upgrade from Bodine.  

Morse has never been a dominant run blocker but he is quite serviceableable at pass blocking.  

There is no reason to bench him in favor of Feliciano.  There is no way a Feliciano/Winters combo is better than a Morse/Feliciano combo.  

I seriously wonder if they are playing games with him and trying to get out from his contract and using the concussions as an excuse.

5 hours ago, LB48 said:

It isn't in my eyes. McDermott values players "earning their place" they had just come off two good wins against Seattle and Pats without Morse in the lineup. They decided to go with the continuity and rewarding the players who played in his absence plus the added bonus of resting Morse before the bye week. 

Morse will be starting on Sunday.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m bored.  Let’s make a thread and pretend it’s relevant.

do you just sit there and pull bong hit after bong hit in order to think of this nonsense?

seriously

Yep. Just check the OP and you know what to expect.🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, LB48 said:

GO BILLS!

I’m missing the irony part...

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

It would be amazing if Russell Bodine is claimed off waivers by Buffalo from Detroit and Mitch Morse is traded to New England for a 6th.

The Bills use that pick in a trade for Ryan Groy

Now THAT would be ironic.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Groy was serviceable at center his first year and then sucked his second year.

Morse was a disappointment last year in terms of the money spent.  PFF may have had him 6th but other ratings had him outside the top 10.  Beane made him the highest paid center in the league continuing a pattern over spending on free agents - Murphy Starr, Ivory etc...  He performed as he has in the past - a middle of the road center that was a significant upgrade from Bodine.  

Morse has never been a dominant run blocker but he is quite serviceableable at pass blocking.  

There is no reason to bench him in favor of Feliciano.  There is no way a Feliciano/Winters combo is better than a Morse/Feliciano combo.  

I seriously wonder if they are playing games with him and trying to get out from his contract and using the concussions as an excuse.

They don't need to 'play games' , they can release him and take the cap hit.

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’m bored.  Let’s make a thread and pretend it’s relevant.

do you just sit there and pull bong hit after bong hit in order to think of this nonsense?

seriously

I'll hand him the lighter for inspiration for another thread if you keep this up!....kidding.

Edited by Kwai San

8 hours ago, LB48 said:

Where does PFF rank Morse now?????  Anyone?

I think people are reading the Morse situation wrong. They felt good with Feliciano at center and wanted to give Morse more time to heal from his concussion without saying as much. 
I believe this week we’ll see Ford and Feliciano at the guard spots with Morse at center. 

They also like to play games like that so the other team needs to do more homework and might not necessarily know who’s playing where. They’ll take any advantage they can get.