Favorite Bills Photo

3 hours ago, jkx2 said:

It will always be the Paul Costa diving catch against the Patriots. It was one of a series of I think 6 photos you had to send away for. That photo hung on my bedroom wall for many years.

20201125_052440.jpg

I have to agree. When I read the title of this thread this photo IMMEDIATELY came to mind. It said everything about what football is all about. Like you, I still remember that picture from my childhood. Great great photo!

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Buftex said:

I was living in NYC in the late 80's and early 90's.  I swear, the week of Super Bowl XXV, the Village Voice ran a column, essentially saying that the Bills were the only true New York team.  The writer was making the point that sophisticated NY sports media were acting like the Bills, and their fans were rubes. The writer picked the Bills to win the game, and said that the more ***** NYC sports people talked about the Bills, the sweeter the victory would be.  The Bills were a "special" team, and only their fans knew it...but the world would know soon enough.  The article was accompanied by a black and white photo of Cornelius Bennett, dressed in the Bills all-white road uniforms of that time, coming out of the tunnel in some NFL stadium somewhere..in the bacround you can see fans giving him *****.  He is crossing his hands over his chest,in an "X" , with both middle fingers flipping off the fans.  I have been searching 30 years for that photo, and never had any luck. It was a fantastic image.

That's almost worth contacting their archivist just to see if they've digitized a record of it.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Simon said:

That's almost worth contacting their archivist just to see if they've digitized a record of it.

I feel like there is probably a microfilm of it somewhere at a minimum. NY public library would be my starting point.

I'm not sure where you are, but the erie county library downtown has it on microfilm back to 1955 apparently. 

Lots of libraries seem to have it, you can search by zip code.

https://www.worldcat.org/title/village-voice/oclc/11168826

Edited by That's No Moon

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Ethan, on the fandemonium pic where you’re in it, was that the Jets win where Smerlas blocked the kick, and we won the AFCE in 88, or one of the other games?  Wondering only in that I was on the goal post for that game for all of 7 seconds until too many were trying to use me to climb up and I eventually came flying off (after I smacked my jaw against the post on the way down).  I didn’t care as it was just too much fun.  Anyway, thanks for sharing.  This thread is great, and brings back very fond memories.

Yes. Norwood won in OT. Leonard Smith was ejected and walked right past me into the tunnel.
I was 18 and my brother 15. We always got in the stadium early and we’re down close to the field watching the team warm up. A guy from SI comes over and pulls us from the stands and gives us field passes to hold their cameras.  We ate with the reporters before the game and at halftime. We then watched all the press conferences after the game. 
Full disclosure there is no way to be 100% sure that is my white hat. But I was standing in that exact spot at the moment those pics were being taken. But there were many white hats and so I could be just outside of the shot too.

• Like (+1) 1