Thank God I like Football more than Basketball

On 11/25/2020 at 9:02 AM, badassgixxer05 said:

Ive never really watch pro basketball mainly because we don't have a pro team. I watched a ton of Bulls basketball in the 90s of course because of Jordan, but that was about it. Not a soccer fan, and not a baseball fan. I think again because of the not having a local team thing in Buffalo. Although i havent watched the sabres in years either, but mainly i think cuz they have been so terrible and they took most of hitting out of hockey which was the best part.

If you watched the Bulls because of Jordan, you should’ve been been watching Lebron for the last 18 years.  Can’t stand the guy....but he’s just as special. Sadly 

On 11/25/2020 at 10:05 AM, Marv Levy said:

Yeah, hockey is slow and boring. The high speed end to end rushes on skate blades while firing a puck 100+ MPH and hard body checks doesn't excite me at all. But basketball is intense with tons of Fouls, Freethrows and Time-outs! Give me a break!! 🙄

The scoring in hockey is slow.  Fast pace and lots of back and forth with no goals.  I enjoy both, but I see why those don’t enjoy hockey.  When I try and put the sabre games on with my wife in the room, I’ll ask her to watch a bit of it and give it a try.  She has trouble following the puck

My oldest daughter started watching the Portland Trailblazers last year, so I ended up watching quite a few games with her.   In my mind the 2010 Heat killed basketball as they made it more about the player than the team.   I am not sure how the NBA expects fans to be loyal to a team when the stars are constantly changing teams, and the parity is so low.    Long story short, I cant devote my time to a game that allows players to carry the ball half way down the court or a game that is essentially a glorified three point contest.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

My oldest daughter started watching the Portland Trailblazers last year, so I ended up watching quite a few games with her.   In my mind the 2010 Heat killed basketball as they made it more about the player than the team.   I am not sure how the NBA expects fans to be loyal to a team when the stars are constantly changing teams, and the parity is so low.    Long story short, I cant devote my time to a game that allows players to carry the ball half way down the court or a game that is essentially a glorified three point contest.

That’s really the biggest problem. Buffalo had just lost its team when I started getting into the nba, so I rooted for UNC (loved their uniforms) and their alums Mcadoo (also buffalos best) and james worthy with the lakers.  They were my team til worthy retired.  Luckily, they drafted kobe a couple years later, so I didn’t have to jump ship.  I had a great product and player to root for.  My two favorite played their entire careers with the lakers.  As Kobe’s career was coming to an end, I followed my college guy, Harrison Barnes with the Warriors. Had some fun years watching that team, but when KD replaced him and he signed with dallas, I became a Mavs fan....then they drafted Luka and he became my favorite player. 

it’s a players league. There are many hardcore fans of teams, but the NBA markets their stars.  It seems that 1/3 of the nba fans today are LeBron fans.  Wherever he goes, his fans follow.  Like jordan captivated my youth and Kobe my early adulthood, LeBron is doing the same with today’s youth.  

To go back to the bolded in your post, while fans might have a tough time sticking to individual teams in today’s nba, they can always be a fan of their favorite players.  

On 11/25/2020 at 5:54 AM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yeah except the skill level is lower across the board - The pro game is played above the rim, the college game is back and forth passing at the top of the key waiting for a contested 3, holding onto the ball for over 30 seconds a possession.

The NBA skill level is higher when it comes to dribbling, driving into the paint, kicking for the open-3, the passing/screens are more efficient.

I’ve always enjoyed watching elite athletes play in the NBA, verses the frantic, under the rim game of College.

Absolutely. I know it's a personal preference but I can't imagine preferring college basketball.. I'd be saying I like bad basketball.

Could be cause I like Syracuse.. and their zone calls for some ugly low score games. The fact that NBA teams can shoot their way out of zones while I'm watching Syracuse and the opposing team constantly bricking it settles the debate for me. 

As far as contracts, for me NBA is fun. I don't need to understand everything possible for a team's cap moves. But I like that it's so flexible leading to so much midseason and off-season blockbuster trades.

1 minute ago, FormerlyPT5P said:

Absolutely. I know it's a personal preference but I can't imagine preferring college basketball.. I'd be saying I like bad basketball.

Could be cause I like Syracuse.. and their zone calls for some ugly low score games. The fact that NBA teams can shoot their way out of zones while I'm watching Syracuse and the opposing team constantly bricking it settles the debate for me. 

As far as contracts, for me NBA is fun. I don't need to understand everything possible for a team's cap moves. But I like that it's so flexible leading to so much midseason and off-season blockbuster trades.

Well said.  Can’t stand watching SU and Virginia.  I respect the D that they play, but it’s a tough watch because of it.  They make the offense work hard for sure.  

teams need to attack the SU zone with a high/low.  Give a big that can shoot the mid range jumper the ball at the fouls line.  Shoot it if he’s open.  If the D pops out, quick post pass to a 1 on 1 in the post.  

I gave up on the NBA 10 years ago or so(and even then I was just a casual fan).  I still loved NCAA BB, but the “one and done” got so out of control that I never watch regular season now, and my interest in March Madness has gone from must-see TV to maybe watch if there is a close game or interesting team/story line. 

Edited by BTB

On 11/25/2020 at 9:49 AM, BITE ME said:

Professional basketball is a dying sport in the United States. That is why they are so invested in China. While COVID was responsibly for some of it, the NBA finals ratings were awful and that was with LA and Miami.  It will be hockey by 2030.

Football will dominate and soccer will rise and become the second most popular sport in America by 2030.

Lol, NBA has been the fastest growing professional league over the last 10 years. 

Obviously ratings are going to be down when the finals are played through week 1 or 2 of the NFL season, during Sunday Night Football.

On 11/25/2020 at 12:03 PM, BITE ME said:

Data does not lie. 

No it doesn't 🤔

Edited by FormerlyPT5P

Lol, NBA has been the fastest growing professional league over the last 10 years. 

Obviously ratings are going to be down when the finals are played through week 1 or 2 of the NFL season, during Sunday Night Football.

Especially when the huge underdog in the finals was missing their 2nd and 4th best players.  Shouldn’t be the case this year.  I can’t stand Kyrie, but I hope to see Brooklyn represent the east this year.  Brooklyn vs Utah, Lakers or a healthy Clippers would be entertaining.  Much more so than last seasons finals 🤮 

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Especially when the huge underdog in the finals was missing their 2nd and 4th best players.  Shouldn’t be the case this year.  I can’t stand Kyrie, but I hope to see Brooklyn represent the east this year.  Brooklyn vs Utah, Lakers or a healthy Clippers would be entertaining.  Much more so than last seasons finals 🤮 

I don't like them either, but Nets would certainly be very entertaining. I'm sure the NBA would have loved a Celtics Lakers matchup last year.

I don't like them either, but Nets would certainly be very entertaining. I'm sure the NBA would have loved a Celtics Lakers matchup last year.

For sure.  That’s what I was hoping for.  Much respect to jimmy butler, but that Miami team didn’t stand a chance even if they were healthy imo 

Its pretty easy to live in Buffalo and view NBA as a dying entity, but since i moved near Charlotte, its really reignited my childhood love for the game that i lost for 20years.  I never had an NBA team before, and im like a kid on Xmas when the Hornets are on.  Itll never come anywhere near the level of football for me, but its been nice to have something help me curb my NFL offseason blues.  Smaller teams makes it easier to jump into a league you dont know and have a sense of whats going on.  Thats proli the biggest reason that my friends who never got into football have for not watching.... 52 dudes x32teams, and the most complex strategy sport isnt exactly new user friendly...

GO HORNETS!

On 11/25/2020 at 7:43 AM, SoCal Deek said:

The three point line ruined NBA basketball for me. In a world of analytics they figured out that you get a better return on investment by simply having four guys stand around the perimeter, pass the ball around until somebody is open...and chuck it! The scoring percentages work out in your favor so long as you have somewhat decent accuracy. It’s killed rebounding, eliminated the Center position, and made the sport virtually unwatchable for me.

Totally agree.  The NBA is just a 3 point shooting contest now... BORING.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

If you watched the Bulls because of Jordan, you should’ve been been watching Lebron for the last 18 years.  Can’t stand the guy....but he’s just as special. Sadly 

I don't think Lebron James has the same presence that Jordan had. And I think Jordan was a little more likable than Lebron too. So ultimately I do think he had a larger, more varied audience willing to watch him.

So while they may be similar as far as talent and dominance, I think it was easier for people to watch Jordan. And, maybe the NBA as a whole was a little easier to watch back then versus now. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like players change teams a lot more often today, even some of the greatest players. Jordan played the majority of his career with one team.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think Lebron James has the same presence that Jordan had. And I think Jordan was a little more likable than Lebron too. So ultimately I do think he had a larger, more varied audience willing to watch him.

So while they may be similar as far as talent and dominance, I think it was easier for people to watch Jordan. And, maybe the NBA as a whole was a little easier to watch back then versus now. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like players change teams a lot more often today, even some of the greatest players. Jordan played the majority of his career with one team.

For sure.  Jordan worked very hard to build a perception of himself and was very successful in doing so.  He was one of the first to build himself into an entire brand.  If Jordan was trying to build that perception in today’s world, he would’ve failed, based on who he really is as a person.  The worlds microscope sees all today. It saw very little back then.  

I’ve met both guys several times. Both were complete ***holes to me in almost every instance.  I’d put Jordan ahead of LeBron in terms of being the bigger ***hole.  Kobe on the other hand.....didn’t disappoint.  Always a class act in each of my interactions with him.  

On 11/25/2020 at 1:18 AM, Big Turk said:

And how would you stop it? I guess any foul deemed to be intentional could result in 2 free throws AND possession for the team who was fouled. 

But I mean how is this really any different than the NFL having players do kneel downs to end the game?  

I get that one is to prevent the other team from winning and the other is done to win but both similarly take away from the way the majority of the game is played.

Kneel downs don’t stretch the last 90 seconds into 20 minutes. 

50 years ago I was a much bigger basketball fan than a football fan.  During the 71-72 season I saw every team play at least once in both the NBA, mostly Braves games in the Aud & ABA, mostly Nets games in Nassau County.  I went to the Braves games while in Fredonia & then I'd go home for semester breaks in South Hempstead.  I saw games in Toronto (ABA doubleheader), Madison Square Garden, and the strangest place I ever saw a pro basketball game Uniontown Pa high school.  The reason I went to Uniontown was the only team that was missing was the Utah Stars.  They had a game scheduled in Pittsburgh & I figured t was the closest place to see Utah.  So I drove down to Pittsburgh & when I got to the Civic Arena I was told the game was moved to Uniontown.  I had to drive another 40 miles or so & got to the high school pretty early.  I ended up sitting with some of the Pittsburgh Condors players while the preliminary high school game was being played.  I remember talking with Dave "Big Daddy" Lattin & I told him I'd be going to the Condors at Nets game during my semester break.  I ended up seeing him in the parking lot as the team bus unloaded at the Nassau Coliseum for the Nets game & I said "Remember Uniontown"  He then offered me a ticket but I already had one so I thanked him & we went our separate ways. 

I didn't go to my 1st NFL game until 1973 when Rich Stadium opened.  I eventually followed the NFL more than the NBA (post ABA merger) mainly because the Braves left Buffalo for San Diego & the Nets left LI for New Jersey.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/25/2020 at 8:43 AM, SoCal Deek said:

The three point line ruined NBA basketball for me. In a world of analytics they figured out that you get a better return on investment by simply having four guys stand around the perimeter, pass the ball around until somebody is open...and chuck it! The scoring percentages work out in your favor so long as you have somewhat decent accuracy. It’s killed rebounding, eliminated the Center position, and made the sport virtually unwatchable for me.

A lack of talented big men eliminated the center position, but it's coming back around.