Thank God I like Football more than Basketball

The three point line ruined NBA basketball for me. In a world of analytics they figured out that you get a better return on investment by simply having four guys stand around the perimeter, pass the ball around until somebody is open...and chuck it! The scoring percentages work out in your favor so long as you have somewhat decent accuracy. It’s killed rebounding, eliminated the Center position, and made the sport virtually unwatchable for me.

• Like (+1) 5

15 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

There's enough discussion, debate argument every year here about Free agency and how much money available to sign a certain play, what the cap is, dead cap and debate on some of the rules.

But imagine if this were all about basketball?  We'd be arguing about how to make the salaries match up, luxury tax, two way contracts, mid level exceptions, The Bird Rule exception, non Bird exception, rookie exception, bi annual exception, traded player exception, supermax contract, who's eligible for the supermax, 5/30% vs 5/25% contracts, Cap holds, Over 38 rule, sign and trades, and much more.

Would there even be any time left to talk about actual play in games?

I stopped watching Basketball back when the Bulls Jordan era ended. To many players moving around and no loyalty to the city and coaches that developed you. All these super star players teaming up has definitely destroyed the game of Basketball. 

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Professional basketball is a dying sport in the United States. That is why they are so invested in China. While COVID was responsibly for some of it, the NBA finals ratings were awful and that was with LA and Miami.  It will be hockey by 2030.

Football will dominate and soccer will rise and become the second most popular sport in America by 2030.

Edited by FUTURIST
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Agreed, love college hoops.  Haven't watched an NBA game since the 90s

My feeling exactly.

College Basketball is far more entertaining, and you get the feel of team unity, moreso than in the NBA.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

every game comes down to the final 2 min it seems.  The college game is so much better.  It’s lime the game is too easy at the NBA level fkr those guys. 

I don't know, last year college was becoming un-watchable with the constant reviews that take over five minutes and result in adding one tenth of a second back onto the clock.   Also the one and done's I feel are hurting the game as no continuity with teams and offenses seem to struggle.  Also seems no one in college can shoot anymore.  I'm starting to get back the point where I'm watching the NBA more than college which hasn't happened to me in close to 40 years.

They need to do something to change the last couple of minutes both in the NBA and college.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The three point line ruined NBA basketball for me. In a world of analytics they figured out that you get a better return on investment by simply having four guys stand around the perimeter, pass the ball around until somebody is open...and chuck it! The scoring percentages work out in your favor so long as you have somewhat decent accuracy. It’s killed rebounding, eliminated the Center position, and made the sport virtually unwatchable for me.

Which is why the Rockets have won 4 consecutive titles.

1 hour ago, FUTURIST said:

Professional basketball is a dying sport in the United States. That is why they are so invested in China. While COVID was responsibly for some of it, the NBA finals ratings were awful and that was with LA and Miami.  It will be hockey by 2030.

Football will dominate and soccer will rise and become the second most popular sport in America by 2030.

Soccer is never gonna be dominate in the United States. That statement was made when MLS first hit and to this day it's still not being watched.

ratings for all sports are down. For those complaining about basketball. The urban kids or kids in general are still keeping the sport alive. YOU(people complaining)  may not watch it but it remains one of the more popular sports with the youth. H.S. school games are being played on ESPN, AAU is a big money marker for brands such as Nike, Adidas and Under armour. Game advances and doesn't worry about older folks complaining about it. 

also what you(people) are complaining about with basketball-people complain about football.....baseball...etc.  All personnel preference. 

Edited by Ghost_002!
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

Soccer is never gonna be dominate in the United States. That statement was made when MLS first hit and to this day it's still not being watched.

ratings for all sports are down. For those complaining about basketball. The urban kids or kids in general are still keeping the sport alive. YOU(people complaining)  may not watch it but it remains one of the more popular sports with the youth. H.S. school games are being played on ESPN, AAU is a big money marker for brands such as Nike, Adidas and Under armour. Game advances and doesn't worry about older folks complaining about it. 

also what you(people) are complaining about with basketball-people complain about football.....baseball...etc.  All personnel preference. 

Ive never really watch pro basketball mainly because we don't have a pro team. I watched a ton of Bulls basketball in the 90s of course because of Jordan, but that was about it. Not a soccer fan, and not a baseball fan. I think again because of the not having a local team thing in Buffalo. Although i havent watched the sabres in years either, but mainly i think cuz they have been so terrible and they took most of hitting out of hockey which was the best part.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Ive never really watch pro basketball mainly because we don't have a pro team. I watched a ton of Bulls basketball in the 90s of course because of Jordan, but that was about it. Not a soccer fan, and not a baseball fan. I think again because of the not having a local team thing in Buffalo. Although i havent watched the sabres in years either, but mainly i think cuz they have been so terrible and they took most of hitting out of hockey which was the best part.

yea it's a personnel preference and a regional thing as well. As you know college sports aren't popular up north here where we are, but down south of course it's treated like a major sport. 

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Although i agree with what the game has become with the 3 point shooting and how it's viewed and it has taken away some aspect of the sport viewing wise, but if you are a fan, you are a fan. Yes the center position or a big man as you knew it is gone. But that has evolved "the big man" to an all around player. Sports in general evolves and grows as athletes grow (TEs in football : about 10 plus years ago where mainly used for blocking and pass catching once in a while-now today's TE can catch more than they block) 

The big man in today's basketball he doesn't just stay in the paint any more..he can dribble and shoot. It is a gift and a curse because for those who watch the sport see a luka doncic who can do it all for someone his height and it's great to see. You then get a Joel Embiid  who does shoot from 3 too much and should be in the paint more. 

Edited by Ghost_002!

46 minutes ago, Ghost_002! said:

MLB and NBA ratings were in decline before Covid.  Now they are just cratering  The NFL is doing fine. Barely down 6 percent this year. It is a juggernaut.

MLB and the NBA have problems.  One is basically and old white person's sport. The other a young black person's sport.  Recipes for disaster. MLB has lost virtually all of it's young viewers and most of it's African American viewers.  Basketball is hemorrhaging  it's white viewers across all ages and Hispanics and Asians in the US have no real interest.

Soccer is growing and will continue to grow.  It has the perfect demographics for the future.

Data does not lie. Baseball and Basketball have to either grow overseas or they are heading towards hockey numbers.

5 hours ago, BillsDude said:

Agree. But, Thank God I like basketball more than hockey. Hockey and baseball bores me. Enjoyed the Buffalo Braves on tv...

Yeah, hockey is slow and boring. The high speed end to end rushes on skate blades while firing a puck 100+ MPH and hard body checks doesn't excite me at all. But basketball is intense with tons of Fouls, Freethrows and Time-outs! Give me a break!! 🙄

15 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

There's enough discussion, debate argument every year here about Free agency and how much money available to sign a certain play, what the cap is, dead cap and debate on some of the rules.

But imagine if this were all about basketball?  We'd be arguing about how to make the salaries match up, luxury tax, two way contracts, mid level exceptions, The Bird Rule exception, non Bird exception, rookie exception, bi annual exception, traded player exception, supermax contract, who's eligible for the supermax, 5/30% vs 5/25% contracts, Cap holds, Over 38 rule, sign and trades, and much more.

We are all free to focus on whatever aspect of sports we chose.

I have no idea why so many fans like to pretend they are GMs and get mucked up in the details of the CBA.  That's the least interesting aspect to sports I can think of, and it has no relation whatsoever to the aspect of sports that makes me interested in watching them.

I enjoy watching the moment-to-moment athletics on the field/ice.  Everything else is a distant second.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

MLB and NBA ratings were in decline before Covid.  Now they are just cratering  The NFL is doing fine. Barely down 6 percent this year. It is a juggernaut.

MLB and the NBA have problems.  One is basically and old white person's sport. The other a young black person's sport.  Recipes for disaster. MLB has lost virtually all of it's young viewers and most of it's African American viewers.  Basketball is hemorrhaging  it's white viewers across all ages and Hispanics and Asians in the US have no real interest.

Soccer is growing and will continue to grow.  It has the perfect demographics for the future.

Data does not lie. Baseball and Basketball have to either grow overseas or they are heading towards hockey numbers.

speaking of data...

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2020/10/nba-playoff-ratings-decline-finals-record-low-sports-viewership/#:~:text=The 2020 NBA Playoffs averaged,and June (4.83M).

Steep NBA playoff drop in line with broader trend

asserts from the article:

"While the coverage might make one believe that the NBA suffered a sharper ratings drop than any other league, the numbers tell a different story."

"The 37 percent decline is in line with the broader trend facing the sports industry since the wave of cancellations and postponements in March. The NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs declined an almost identical 38% across NBC’s TV and digital platforms (from 1.53M to 953K) and the MLB Division Series sank 40% on TBS, FS1 and MLB Network (from 3.04M to 1.82M)."

"Like the playoffs as a whole, the steep drop for the Finals is in line with the industry-wide trend. Even after losing half of its year-ago audience, the Finals held up better than the Stanley Cup Final (-61%) or the final round of golf’s U.S. Open (-56%), which were similarly shifted from June to late summer."

"

During the playoffs, the NBA delivered television’s highest rating in adults 18-49 on 30 of 41 nights. The final two games of the NBA Finals each had a 3.2 rating in the demo — well below last year’s comparable games, but TV’s best (non-NFL) rating in the demo since February’s Academy Awards.

The NBA’s decline has generated greater media attention than those of other sports because of the perception that the league is being punished by viewers for its support of the Black Lives Matter movement. The data does not indicate any meaningful shift in the racial make-up of the league’s audience. Through the first four games of the NBA Finals, white viewers made up 45 percent of the audience. That compares to 46 percent last year."

Sports viewing trend

sports viewership trend

also note that soccer is not even listed on this chart.

So you were saying?? 

Edited by Ghost_002!
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/24/2020 at 11:40 PM, RiotAct said:

Not to mention the final minute of a basketball game takes like two hours.

Thing I hate the most is when there's like 30 seconds left and team A takes a time out. Then the time out ends and they're about to in bounds the ball, and then team B takes a time out. It's so ridiculous. 

• Eyeroll 1

On 11/25/2020 at 1:03 PM, FUTURIST said:

I believe that soccer is highly unlikely to ever succeed in the US as a major spectator sport because the simple fact of the matter is that Americans don’t want to watch an inferior product. Professional soccer in the US is played at a lower level than Turkish professional soccer. That is all you need to know. If an American player is any good, he ain’t gonna play here.

On 11/25/2020 at 7:49 AM, FUTURIST said:

Soccer will probably be more popular than it is now by 2030 because it’s consistently on TV as opposed to its past coverage.  It will not be on the same level as the NBA though.  The NBA are the best players in the world.  MLS is not.  And hockey is not even in the discussion.  That’s a niche sport in the U.S. and there is nothing about it that would attract a casual observer.  

The NBA is expanding to China because there is money to be made.  The NBA game  is internationally popular and star NBA players are some of the most recognized brands in the world.  If Connor McDavid walked down a street in China, Barcelona, Brazil or Nigeria I would bet 99-100% of people would not know who he is.  Or Sidney Crosby.  Or Jack Eichel.  

This TV ratings argument is overblown.  I believe ratings were down across all sports.

• 2 months later...
On 11/25/2020 at 5:09 AM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I used to love basketball very much, it was my hobby. Every day after school I would come home and read https://newyorkessays.com/basketball/ to learn more about the rules and history. Then, already in college, the guys and I constantly played in the yard. And now sports, like everything else, has become a big business. But nevertheless, we have legends and idols!)

Agree with you!

Edited by Mark90
  • Angry 1