Thank God I like Football more than Basketball

There's enough discussion, debate argument every year here about Free agency and how much money available to sign a certain play, what the cap is, dead cap and debate on some of the rules.

But imagine if this were all about basketball?  We'd be arguing about how to make the salaries match up, luxury tax, two way contracts, mid level exceptions, The Bird Rule exception, non Bird exception, rookie exception, bi annual exception, traded player exception, supermax contract, who's eligible for the supermax, 5/30% vs 5/25% contracts, Cap holds, Over 38 rule, sign and trades, and much more.

Would there even be any time left to talk about actual play in games?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

There's enough discussion, debate argument every year here about Free agency and how much money available to sign a certain play, what the cap is, dead cap and debate on some of the rules.

But imagine if this were all about basketball?  We'd be arguing about how to make the salaries match up, luxury tax, two way contracts, mid level exceptions, The Bird Rule exception, non Bird exception, rookie exception, bi annual exception, traded player exception, supermax contract, who's eligible for the supermax, 5/30% vs 5/25% contracts, Cap holds, Over 38 rule, sign and trades, and much more.

can you imagine? Amortization of signing bonuses is like rocket surgery here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Not to mention the final minute of a basketball game takes like two hours.

every game comes down to the final 2 min it seems.  The college game is so much better.  It’s lime the game is too easy at the NBA level fkr those guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

The ultimate flaw of basketball, which I consider to be an otherwise beautiful game, is that intentionally committing fouls is a major strategy at the end of almost every close game.

And how would you stop it? I guess any foul deemed to be intentional could result in 2 free throws AND possession for the team who was fouled. 

But I mean how is this really any different than the NFL having players do kneel downs to end the game?  

I get that one is to prevent the other team from winning and the other is done to win but both similarly take away from the way the majority of the game is played.

Edited by matter2003

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

There’s also the Disabled Player Exception, which the Warriors just applied for after Klay Thompson’s season-ending achilles injury.

15 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

And how would you stop it? I guess any foul deemed to be intentional could result in 2 free throws AND possession for the team who was fouled. 

But I mean how is this really any different than the NFL having players do kneel downs to end the game?  

I get that one is to prevent the other team from winning and the other is done to win but both similarly take away from the way the majority of the game is played.

it’s a tough problem to solve for sure. I’ve heard what you’ve suggested before and i’m not entirely against it. 

I guess it’s good to remember that the intentional fouls go hand in hand with a winning team intentionally trying to dribble out the clock. If that (valid) strategy didn’t exist then the fouling wouldn’t either. There is no victory formation, kneel on the ball option in basketball.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

The ultimate flaw of basketball, which I consider to be an otherwise beautiful game, is that intentionally committing fouls is a major strategy at the end of almost every close game.

In football as well.  NFL had to change the rules again due to Coach Billicheat tip toeing down line on fouls to manipulate time last year.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

In Basketball - any foul in the last 2 min of the game or in the bonus, the team that was fouled can choose to take the 2 shots or get the ball on the side with a 5 second runoff.
That would discourage teams for fouling intentionally just to stall the game. 

Edited by BillsIsrael
Clarification

51 minutes ago, BillsIsrael said:

In Basketball - any foul in the last 2 min of the game or in the bonus, the team that was fouled can choose to take the 2 shots or get the ball on the side with a 5 second runoff.
That would discourage teams for fouling intentionally just to stall the game. 

“Stalling the game” is not the purpose of the tactic, it’s a consequence. The purpose is to gain possession back as soon as possible. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

What I don't like is when players draw fouls to get to the free throw line. Can you imagine running into a player in football then falling to the ground to get a penalty on the other team multiple times a game 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

“Stalling the game” is not the purpose of the tactic, it’s a consequence. The purpose is to gain possession back as soon as possible. 

The main idea is to give the fouled team the option to choose if to shoot the 2 free throws or take the ball on the side - just like in football you can decline a penalty. if there's 1 minute to play and you're down by 6. Play good defense and get the ball back and make a 3 - don't play 'Hack the Shak' - fouling their worse FT shooter.

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

every game comes down to the final 2 min it seems.  The college game is so much better.  It’s lime the game is too easy at the NBA level fkr those guys. 

Yeah except the skill level is lower across the board - The pro game is played above the rim, the college game is back and forth passing at the top of the key waiting for a contested 3, holding onto the ball for over 30 seconds a possession.

The NBA skill level is higher when it comes to dribbling, driving into the paint, kicking for the open-3, the passing/screens are more efficient.

I’ve always enjoyed watching elite athletes play in the NBA, verses the frantic, under the rim game of College.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsIsrael said:

The main idea is to give the fouled team the option to choose if to shoot the 2 free throws or take the ball on the side - just like in football you can decline a penalty. if there's 1 minute to play and you're down by 6. Play good defense and get the ball back and make a 3 - don't play 'Hack the Shak' - fouling their worse FT shooter.

I don't think the option goes far enough as inbounding is a significant risk.  You'd have to give them both.  But also, it's now up to the judgement of the ref and that opens its own can of worms.

My thought is to change the rules to limit calling timeouts in the last 2 minutes.  And limit substitutions also.

That's the thing that really kills me, it seems like 6 or more timeouts always get called.

Edited by GaryPinC