Young people aren't sports fans and that's a huge problem

PromoTheRobot

16 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I get what you are saying. When I was a kid, we had this “back yard baseball” league in our neighborhood. Played with tennis balls and a bunch of other rules— but it was awesome. We had three different “stadiums” (yards), each with its own challenges. One was like Fenway— short with a super high wall (ie, deck), and then a really long narrow yard, etc.  We’d keep stats and everything. 

Did anyone play 'strike out'?  All you needed was a school wall with a strike zone chalked or painted on it, two players, and a tennis ball.  Sometimes if a third kid was available, they would act as umpire on balls and strikes, decide what level a hit was, and also to shag the ball back into the pitcher.  Filled in the times between little league practices and games.

20 hours ago, Gugny said:

I love watching baseball.  I love listening to games on the radio, too.

People who find it boring don't understand the game.  I get it.  I think hockey is the most boring sport in the world - but I know that I feel that way because I don't understand the game.

It's a shame that they're changing the game to try to lure new fans.  It's a fantastic sport and I really hate to see any drastic changes being made.

This is how I feel about baseball. The  game is still good and entertaining, it does NOT need to be changed. I understand why they added new ideas to the abbreviated season, but I hope that does not become permanent. I hated having a runner on 2nd base to start extra innings.

I hope they never choose to have a pitching timer, to speed up the game. There is a strategy to that, and taking that away from the game would be awful.

I also think that baseball is the best sports game to listen to on the radio. It's a much slower pace, and much more easily described, than all the franticness of the other sports.

I really enjoy hockey too, although it is 1000X better watching hockey LIVE, than it is on television.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Did anyone play 'strike out'?  All you needed was a school wall with a strike zone chalked or painted on it, two players, and a tennis ball.  Sometimes if a third kid was available, they would act as umpire on balls and strikes, decide what level a hit was, and also to shag the ball back into the pitcher.  Filled in the times between little league practices and games.

Absolutely. We used a stick ball bat.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.