Help with non-Bills hall of fame argument

jester43

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Well, I'll say it again... It's the Hall of FAME, not Hall of Stats or Hall of Wins, or anything else. Just Fame.

I hear sports writers (who vote on this stuff) describe the qualifying process as "If you were telling a story of the history of the NFL, would you include this guy in your story when talking about that era?"

Super Bowl victories definitely help "good" players get in because they were part of something greater and gained the notoriety from it. And I'm fine with that. Since really all we're talking about here is another Marketing tool of the NFL (which itself is just a Billion dollar hype machine).

Well I think by that definition you'd have to put Steve Tasker in. He is known around the NFL as the best special teams player of all time (and almost all rankings I have ever looked at list him 1st, and more rarely 2nd). He changed the game in a few ways.

On Wikipedia it rightly says this: "He was the first player to establish himself as a star almost exclusively through special teams play without being either a kicker or a returner."

7 time pro bowler and 7 time all-pro. I feel like he has the accolades, an incredible story, uniqueness, and a lasting impact on the sport. So I do think he belongs and I hope he gets in some day.

I know there are a few bills fans here who don't agree. And honestly I think they are crazy. There's a reason he has been nominated so many times and has been a semi-finalist so many times.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well I think by that definition you'd have to put Steve Tasker in. He is known around the NFL as the best special teams player of all time (and almost all rankings I have ever looked at list him 1st, and more rarely 2nd). He changed the game in a few ways.

On Wikipedia is rightly says this: "He was the first player to establish himself as a star almost exclusively through special teams play without being either a kicker or a returner."

7 time pro bowler and 7 time all-pro. I feel like he has the accolades, an incredible story, uniqueness, and a lasting impact on the sport. So I do think he belongs and I hope he gets in some day.

I know there are a few bills fans here who don't agree. And honestly I think they are crazy. There's a reason he has been nominated so many times and has been a semi-finalist so many times.

I think Tasker should be in. For a while the NFL definitely had a bias against special teamers in the HOF but they have softened on that and so there is an argument for Tasker IMO.

6 hours ago, MJS said:

On Wikipedia it rightly says this: "He was the first player to establish himself as a star almost exclusively through special teams play without being either a kicker or a returner."

I agree with all this, and think Tasker should be in. When talking about the 90s NFL you have to talk a lot about the Bills, and when talking about the 90s Bills you gotta mention the guy who changed Special Teams around the league, and set such a standard they created a Pro Bowl position for him.

That last bit regarding the Pro Bowl expansion should get him in alone. He literally changed the way we watch the game, and the way top players are honored.

And with 4 Super Bowl appearances ("victories" was a bad word to use in my previous post), he should be a shoe-in. SHOULD be.