Help with non-Bills hall of fame argument

jester43

I just saw the list of 25 semi-finalists for Canton.  It reminded me of a difference of opinion I had with a Steelers fan who happens to work in local media where I live.  I'm not going to say anything bad about the guy, because it's not his fault he was raised to like the Steelers.  I view it as sort of a disability.

Anyway, Tony Boselli and Alan Faneca are both on the semi-finalist list this again year.  Setting aside the tackle-vs-guard part of the argument, which one of these guys is more deserving (if either) of enshrinement?

I say Boselli, who was the most dominant player at his position for several seasons.  Remember how much trouble he gave Bruce Smith?  He was known around the league for being one of a tiny number of players with the ability to slow down #78.  He was just a truck.  

The Steelers fan I'm debating says it's Faneca.  He had a longer career with more All-Pro honors (due to the longevity, of course).  

Boselli had a shorter career because of injuries.  But at his best, I say he was far better.  I admit you have to respect 13 years of excellence, but Faneca was just never an indomitable as Tony Boselli.

Anyone have an opinion on this?  

16 minutes ago, jester43 said:

It reminded me of a difference of opinion I had with a Steelers fan who happens to work in local media where I live.  I'm not going to say anything bad about the guy, because it's not his fault he was raised to like the Steelers.  I view it as sort of a disability.

I feel like I can insert several team names into this sentence and still get the same chuckle I got when I read this - hell I didn't even make it past that and I replied to this.....some funeee stuff there.....good opinion!!

Edited by Kwai San
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jester43 said:

I just saw the list of 25 semi-finalists for Canton.  It reminded me of a difference of opinion I had with a Steelers fan who happens to work in local media where I live.  I'm not going to say anything bad about the guy, because it's not his fault he was raised to like the Steelers.  I view it as sort of a disability.

Anyway, Tony Boselli and Alan Faneca are both on the semi-finalist list this again year.  Setting aside the tackle-vs-guard part of the argument, which one of these guys is more deserving (if either) of enshrinement?

I say Boselli, who was the most dominant player at his position for several seasons.  Remember how much trouble he gave Bruce Smith?  He was known around the league for being one of a tiny number of players with the ability to slow down #78.  He was just a truck.  

The Steelers fan I'm debating says it's Faneca.  He had a longer career with more All-Pro honors (due to the longevity, of course).  

Boselli had a shorter career because of injuries.  But at his best, I say he was far better.  I admit you have to respect 13 years of excellence, but Faneca was just never an indomitable as Tony Boselli.

Who was better Curtis Martin or Terrell Davis? I go with Curtis because he had a longer career of success despite Davis' better years are better than Curtis'. 

See I would go with Davis in that argument.  I'm not against lifetime achievement awards per se, but I can't agree with leaving out a dominant player whose career was cut short by injuries.  It's the Gale Sayers defense.  

9 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Who was better Curtis Martin or Terrell Davis? I go with Curtis because he had a longer career of success despite Davis' better years are better than Curtis'. 

25 minutes ago, H2o said:

Richmond Webb used to do fairly well against Bruce also. He's not in the HOF either. If it were up to me, I'm leaving them both out. 

Richmond Webb SHUT DOWN Bruce on many occasions.

He was a great OL.

So was Keith Simms on that same Miami OL.

• Like (+1) 1

compared to the other major sports, the NFL enshrines more candidates and this in on purpose and I am fine with the concept...however the flipside is that more members actually diminishes the concept of limiting it to greatness and thus includes the very good...my pocket argument is that both Steelers WRs from their super bowl era are in: Swann and Stallworth...really do both players playing the same position on the same team belong ?  Which one was better ?  Hard to say because they were both great, or was one great and the other very good, or were they both very good and they got the advantage of the super bowl hype and rings ?

Boselli only played 7 seasons and only 3 of those were full seasons, his 7th was 3 games.

He doesn't belong for really what is 4 or 5 great years.  The last 3 (Roaf, Pace, Ogden) played at least a dozen years--and were better).

Being "dominant for several seasons" on an O-line ain't enough to get in to HOF.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Boselli should go in.

He’s certainly in on quality.  Quantity hurts him, but I’d lean yes. He was that good, but even when he played he was often hindered, as I recall. If he had a healthy 12 year career we might be comparing him to Munoz. 

2 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

compared to the other major sports, the NFL enshrines more candidates and this in on purpose and I am fine with the concept...however the flipside is that more members actually diminishes the concept of limiting it to greatness and thus includes the very good...

Yeah, I'm looking at the list of 25 candidates, and it seems we're quickly getting to the Hall of Good. Some obvious choices in there (Manning), but a lot of stretches too.

my pocket argument is that both Steelers WRs from their super bowl era are in: Swann and Stallworth...really do both players playing the same position on the same team belong ?  Which one was better ?  Hard to say because they were both great, or was one great and the other very good, or were they both very good and they got the advantage of the super bowl hype and rings ?

Well, I'll say it again... It's the Hall of FAME, not Hall of Stats or Hall of Wins, or anything else. Just Fame.

I hear sports writers (who vote on this stuff) describe the qualifying process as "If you were telling a story of the history of the NFL, would you include this guy in your story when talking about that era?"

Super Bowl victories definitely help "good" players get in because they were part of something greater and gained the notoriety from it. And I'm fine with that. Since really all we're talking about here is another Marketing tool of the NFL (which itself is just a Billion dollar hype machine).

7 hours ago, jester43 said:

Neither, IMO. But I could go Faneca. 13 seasons, all at a high level, and a Super Bowl ring. If we had to put one of them in, I'd vote Faneca.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

5 hours ago, Augie said:

He’s certainly in on quality.  Quantity hurts him, but I’d lean yes. He was that good, but even when he played he was often hindered, as I recall. If he had a healthy 12 year career we might be comparing him to Munoz. 

Once TD got in the argument to keep Boselli out was lost IMO.