Christian Wade, will we ever see him?

BeastMode54

On 11/25/2020 at 6:18 PM, JoPoy88 said:

From the little we’ve seen of him, Wade looks very fast, along with some of that rugby elusiveness. I think his best chance to secure a spot is as a special teams player. 

I hope they give him a legitimate shot next year, but he’ll need to beat out guys much more seasoned than him.

I was thinking that very thing.  What I don't know is if he has the "screw loose" that ST guys need to have.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

ummm.

He played a tough contact sport with hard hits like football but they don’t wear helmets and pads.  

I could be mistaken, but I don't think said tough contact sport involves 11 other people racing down the field towards you as fast as they can with the express intention of de-cleating you.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be mistaken, but I don't think said tough contact sport involves 11 other people racing down the field towards you as fast as they can with the express intention of de-cleating you.

I played rugby in college, and it seemed more like a Chick-fil-A drive thru than NFL Special Teams where they all get a running start and you’re the piñata. I know, it was just college, but I played both and rugby is safer, IMO. Put on a helmet and pads and everyone thinks they are a lethal weapon! 

54 minutes ago, Augie said:

I played rugby in college, and it seemed more like a Chick-fil-A drive thru than NFL Special Teams where they all get a running start and you’re the piñata. I know, it was just college, but I played both and rugby is safer, IMO. Put on a helmet and pads and everyone thinks they are a lethal weapon! 

FWIW my impression came from talking with a friend's son, who played football at the state champion level in HS and club rugby through HS and college....he said rugby was tough, but in a different way, hard tackling but less potential for being totally blown up was my understanding.

• Like (+1) 1

Well there are no more excuses about him not knowing the offense so the only other thing they can maybe say is that he doesn't seem to have what it takes to cut it in the NFL which i for 1 think could be BS .

He showed in the limited touches that he has had that he's got really good in game speed which is something neither of the younger players have i would really like to see them use him more in game situations to see exactly what he can do .

I think he could be a real good piece to the puzzle but given that Singletary & Moss were draft picks i don't see them going anywhere soon so in order for him to make the active roster may be a tough row to hoe but i hope he at least gets a in game shot to prove him self especially if he was that good in rugby !

They ought to up they ante and require one active game day player slot be filled with a non-Canadian foreign born player. Then a player like wade could get some snaps in garbage time and move up from there. Teams would be scouring the planet to extract value from the rule. 

Edited by Charles Romes
  • Vomit 1

On 2/26/2021 at 5:04 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

ummm.

He played a tough contact sport with hard hits like football but they don’t wear helmets and pads.  

Rugby is a very physical and oftentimes violent game, no doubt. I played a bit in high school and college. But it's very different from football in that rugby tacklers almost always seek to wrap up, rather than collide with/knock down ball carriers. 

It's almost counter-intuitive to the American sensibility. Less protection does not typically equal more damaging collisions. 

• Agree 1

On 2/26/2021 at 10:12 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Correct.  But only as there are 15 in rugby rather than 11.  A significant part of the game is kicking the ball downfield and chasing, not too dissimilar to a punt in NFL, and attempting to nail the receiving player 0.0000001 seconds after they catch the ball - no fair catch rule unless you’re in your own 22 (roughly the same as the “red zone”) but you can’t hit the player whilst they are in the air if they jump to execute the catch.  That’s not the only situation in which you can get tackled by another player coming at you at full speed but it is the most likely.  

At professional level rugby is a pretty brutal game - and they have similar concussion issues to NFL. 

That said in rugby you are required to wrap both arms around the opposing player in the act of tackling (not doing so concedes a penalty at the minimum and these days either a yellow card (sent off for 10 mins - leaving your team down to 14, no replacements like a disqualification in nfl) or even a red (sent off permanently) - especially if you make contact above the chest - which does mean you can’t (legally) go full lunatic spear tackle / shoulder charge so the hits in NFL can be more extreme.  

21 hours ago, dneveu said:

Well... taiwan jones role maybe as well.  He likely can tackle, and run.  Returning would be a bonus - but id like to also bring back mckenzie.

Im good with McKenzie and Rugby guy has to have a strong pre season.

On 2/28/2021 at 12:57 AM, Charles Romes said:

They ought to up they ante and require one active game day player slot be filled with a non-Canadian foreign born player. Then a player like wade could get some snaps in garbage time and move up from there. Teams would be scouring the planet to extract value from the rule. 

I don’t know about this but I like the “non-Canadian” part a lot.