Original Rich stadium scoreboard

jkx2

1 hour ago, chaccof said:

Wow, the Buffalo Jills, remember them?  So they get introduced as "your 1989 Buffalo Jills" but there is clearly snow on the ground?  Did the team just wait until mid to late in the season to introduce them or did it actually snow in Sept?  😆

They got announced like that every game, right before the team announcements.

1 hour ago, Ned Flanders said:

I actually found this video oddly entertaining.

I think that was the John Forcade game/loss?  If so,  I was there,  my buddy and I hung out after game walking around inside stadium.  Got down on the field, ran into a bummed out Van Miller (in his long fur coat) and had a brief exchange with him.  Those were the days (sigh).....  a different world. 

• Sad 1

I sat below it many many times in the Batavia party zone. It was the black and gray (white) look you see in some of the photos.

One of my favorite memories of my first Bills game ever attended was the first ever Monday night football game at Rich stadium Bills vs Kansas City circa 1973 . Howard Cosell was there along with dandy Don Meredith Iconic booth guys from back in the day. Someone took a tantruming kicking his arms and legs baby and put Cosells head on it with a caption that said "You're our Baby Howard" and displayed it on the scoreboard....They showed a picture of he in the booth laughing at it......fun memory. 

Edited by Muppy
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They got announced like that every game, right before the team announcements.

Ah, ok.  That makes sense.  I simply didn't recall that.  I mean, snow in Sept. in Buffalo is just too crazy to believe.  Now October, that's a different story.  

1 hour ago, Muppy said:

I sat below it many many times in the Batavia party zone. It was the black and gray (white) look you see in some of the photos.

One of my favorite memories of my first Bills game ever attended was the first ever Monday night football game at Rich stadium Bills vs Kansas City circa 1973 . Howard Cosell was there along with dandy Don Meredith Iconic booth guys from back in the day. Someone took a tantruming kicking his arms and legs baby and put Cosells head on it with a caption that said "You're our Baby Howard" and displayed it on the scoreboard....They showed a picture of he in the booth laughing at it......fun memory. 

I was that game too. OJ went over a 1000 yards that night only have way through the season and the talked turned to 2000. It was also Halloween or the day before and everybody was dressed in costumes. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, jkx2 said:

I was that game too. OJ went over a 1000 yards that night only have way through the season and the talked turned to 2000. It was also Halloween or the day before and everybody was dressed in costumes. 

it was the only game I ever attended with my mother. she was in her absolute glory that night with the Bills winning.....Do you remember the scene I mentioned on the scoreboard with Cosell? The other thing I remember from that night was the absolute traffic nightmare getting into the stadium...we lleft batavia 4 hours early to be able to tailgate and we barely made it into our seats by halftime it was a DEBACLE

37 minutes ago, Muppy said:

it was the only game I ever attended with my mother. she was in her absolute glory that night with the Bills winning.....Do you remember the scene I mentioned on the scoreboard with Cosell? The other thing I remember from that night was the absolute traffic nightmare getting into the stadium...we lleft batavia 4 hours early to be able to tailgate and we barely made it into our seats by halftime it was a DEBACLE

It was crazy getting in and out. I don't remember that Cosell moment.  Those were the days you could make signs and hang them. I made one and had a hard time finding a place to hang it because there were so many there about Howard. It was a magical night.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Yeah. It was cold, w/light snow, and here were were playing a dome team. Shoulda killed 'em. The 4th, and 23 completion by John Forcade, killed the Bills, instead. The 22-19 loss was a painful one..

Bills-Saints 1989 entire game: 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Muppy said:

Buffalo in the '80s: Bills fans loved to hate Howard Cosell - Buffalo  Stories Archives & Blog

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, boater said:

Speaking of scoreboards... it's a damn shame that the Aud scoreboard isn't somewhere to see.

Someone told me it fell onto the ice.

No, that was the original one at the new arena that fell. The old one at the Aud hung there until they demolished the building. I agree that it would be cool to have at least a panel of it somewhere but you don't really realize how big those things are, even the small ones.

The thing I always wanted out of the Aud was the big buffalo medallion that hung in the wall in the main entrance.

• Like (+1) 1