Tommy Sweeney out for the season - myocarditis

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm a cardiologist. 

Myocarditis can occur with a wide variety of viruses not just Covid. Remember there are other coronaviruses besides COVID-19 and many other common cold viruses than can cause myocardial. Typically it resolves without therapy but you can treat with steroids or immunoglobulin with unclear efficacy. 

Whoever posted about a pacemaker is 100% wrong. 

Abnormal heart rhythms can occur with inflammation of the heart but are almost never treated with a pacemaker. Almost always self limited and resolves when the inflammation resolves. 

Weakening of the pump called cardiomyopathy is the complication most feared.  Though typically self limited it can be permanent even with treatment. 

Thank you, sir.

16 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Presumably when the inflammation disappears the heart rhythm irregularities will resolve themselves.  The question is, do the heart rhythm irregularities present a risk of death from ordinary (not football) activity in the meantime.  If not, they'll just have him wait it out, maybe treating with medications if they can.

Yes.  Andy Gibb died in 1988 at the age of 30 from the heart condition myocarditis. 

For some reason I hadn't spotted this. A tough break for Sweeney, to be sure, but hopefully he can bounce back from it next year.

Credit must also go to the guys who devised the protocol for returning. Without getting cleared by a cardiologist, how badly could things have gone for any guys affected like this?

I've always thought that Sweeney has got more to offer, and had hoped we would get to see more of him this year. Atm, if he had been fit, I would have had him behind Kroft as our #2 TE, simply because Knox appears to have not improved.

I hope everything goes well for him, and will look forward to hearing about him lighting up TC next year.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/23/2020 at 1:20 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Fortunate that they caught it. Glad that he’s expected back next year. 

Yeah - that would have been horrible if not caught till something happened during a game. We have had enough tragedies with our TE's (Kevin Everett) over the years.

Hoping he makes a full recovery.