Could the 2019 Chiefs be the model for the Bills in 2020?

Last year's Chiefs started 6-4, and then went on an a 9 game winning streak to win the Super Bowl.  I would argue that winning the Super Bowl depends on the improvement of your team during the season in the modern NFL. What led to the Chiefs improvement down the stretch? Better defense and an improved running game to support an already efficient passing game. The Chiefs defense (comparing the first 10 games to after that) went from allowing 370/yg to 332/yg and allowing 24/pg to 16/pg. Also, they improved the running game from for 91/ yg to 113 /yg. And, Defensively they went from allowing 148/yg to only 99/yg!

Offensively: the passing game remained efficient, though worse in terms of yards gained. Overall, they saw a slight uptick in scoring going from 28 to 32 p/g, gained fewer yards, but ran much better while maintaining the passing attack.

Defensively: After a slow start, they shut down the running game, pressured the QB, forced Turnovers and took a big step forward.

How do this years Bills team stack up after 10 games? a 7-3 record against arguably a tougher schedule with 7 winning opponents vs only 5 for KC. On offense the Chiefs 28/pg 405 /yg is a bit better than the Bills 27/pg and 377/yg -again schedule difference. Rushing attack are similar. On defense KC 24p/g 370/yg the Bills 27/pg 374/yg. KC allowed 148 yg/rush, Bills 135.

I'm an not arguing this will happen. I'm simply pointing out that improvement from the Defense, getting better production from the running game and continued strong play by the Josh Allen/ Stefon Diggs led passing game is the ticket.

Is the Chiefs model from last year plausible? Can McDermott get his Defense to step up, can Daboll get the running attack to improve, can Josh Allen continue to play efficient QB? Personally, I don't think it's impossible.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Do we have an elite tight end who serves as a safety valve like Travis Kelce?

5 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

That they do not.....THAT makes a huge difference.

Knox currently working with the jugs machine

Football Wtf GIF by Sethward - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha (+1) 2

Don't know about the previous year parallel, but I was thinking about McD and Reid as one. Reid was always a bridesmaid, knocking at the door.  At KC, he kept building a stronger and stronger roster, and Mahomes replacing Smith finally got him over the top.  I don't think the Bills are there yet, but we have the QB and we have the GM/Coach combo to keep making this team better and better until they do get there...

• Like (+1) 1

At first I thought your topic was not going to offer much. But you really made a strong case. TE and stopping the run seem to be the two areas where they had upper hand. Maybe we can improve but as others mentioned TE not so much. Having JA developing into his potential and improved D gives Bills a chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

At first I thought your topic was not going to offer much. But you really made a strong case. TE and stopping the run seem to be the two areas where they had upper hand. Maybe we can improve but as others mentioned TE not so much. Having JA developing into his potential and improved D gives Bills a chance. 

I think with a healthy Milano we may have more upside defensively. Our secondary is better than Kansas City's. Chris Jones is better than anyone the Bills have, but we may be deeper upfront. I think the Bills skill players are plenty good, even lacking a Kelce type. The bigger question  is can Josh continue to make strides or is he done for the year? Again I'm not making the case we're better than KC, just that it's possible with improvement to be in the mix.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1