The Bills Aren't a Top-Tier Team Yet

Shaw66

I've let myself get so excited about the Bills' recent success that I stopped paying attention to the measurables.  I looked this morning.  The data make it pretty clear that the Bills still have some growing to do.

Look at the standings (and ignore the NFC East).  The Bills have a decent record, like most of the other division leaders, but they are behind the very best teams.  The Bills are just barely above .500 in points for/points against, worst among all the division leaders.   

Go to the team stats.  When you look collectively at yards per game offense, points per game offense, yards per game defense, points per game defense, this is a middling team.   The Bills pass pretty well and defend the pass pretty well, and the Bills aren't very good running or stopping the run.  

The Bills don't come to mind when you think of physically tough teams like Tennessee, Baltimore, Pittsburgh.  

The Bills' quarterback is barely top 10.

There just isn't much of anything that says the Bills are one of the best teams. 

Still, I'm optimistic.  I'm optimistic because what the Bills have is a process where they continue to get better.   I wrote earlier this season about McDermott's mid-season slump.   I think it's real.  I think the Bills get better from week to week for 17 weeks, focusing on all parts of their game.  Other teams focus more narrowly, like maybe Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Arizona - by focusing narrowly, they get better faster, but they plateau.  I think in that regard the Bills operate like the Patriots have operated.  I think the Bills will continue to win, and I think that may even put up some wins that will surprise some people.  It will happen because we haven't seen the best of 2020 Bills yet - they're built to peak in December. 

Although I'm optimistic, it's clear that the Bills still are a little short of talent.  They don't have a dominant defensive line player, and they don't have a stud linebacker.   They don't have an explosive (either in terms of speed or power) running back.   

Bottom line, I don't know where the Bills will finish, but I like how they build and attack the season.  They keep getting better, which makes them a threat to win every game.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I expect us to be 12-4 or 11-5 depending upon who plays the last week. We all know you are what your record is and that appears to be very good to me.

Plus a great QB can fill the cracks in your lineup. "Barely top 10" is incorrect. I only have maybe 5 that are better.

• Like (+1) 2

I think every year there are only maybe 2-4 teams that can be labeled "Top Tier". We certainly arent there right now.

But we are on track to get there, and much closer than we ever have been over the last 25 years. I'd put us right below that Top Tier cutoff.

I like that we are being built to be a perennial winner. Maybe not always the best team in the league, but always a shoe-in for the playoffs. And then anything can happen from there.

• Like (+1) 7

I think our schedule says we are a really good team. The wins we have over other teams with winning records says we are a really good team. What I'm missing from the post is what teams are above us.

I can't get behind Josh Allen barely being a top 10 qb. Other than Mahomes and Rodgers who would you rather have right now? Wilson...I won't argue too hard. But the list of qbs better than Allen right now is not very long. 

• Like (+1) 7

Which begs the question 

which teams are elite?

KC lost to the Raiders and had a close late game win against them. 

GB?  They lost some head scratchers and just don’t seem to have it all together 

Pitt?  Big Ben and the preseason softest schedule 

Seattle?  

Saints maybe still 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

I can't get behind Josh Allen barely being a top 10 qb. Other than Mahomes and Rodgers who would you rather have right now? Wilson...I won't argue too hard. But the list of qbs better than Allen right now is not very long. 

I stretched it to 5 but barely top 10 is WAY OFF.

Great post and I'm sure there will be "extremists" flaming you to death, but you're right.

This is why it was a good idea not to make a trade at the deadline, despite those same people screaming for it.

This year the goal is the Super Bowl, but the realistic expectation is Playoffs with a hopeful first round win.

Next year, the goal and expectation is Super Bowl. We need all the ammo we can get for that.

And for the "You Are What Your Record Is" folks, do you think the Steelers are one of the top 6 teams of all time?

The objective way to look at a team is DVOA and we are slightly above average there as well.

Edited by Rigotz
  • Like (+1) 1

I actually think the Bills’ overall talent level is average at best.  Josh Allen’s remarkable ascent to top-5 NFL QB has covered up some truly lousy drafting by Beane.  If anything happens to JA, we are in Jets territory.  

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Sorry I still am not sold on the Steelers.  Look at their schedule.  

I will put KC on a different level and that is it.

Again it is all about game planning & coaching.

That's it for me. Kc and everyone else.  Not that you can't beat them but the margin for error is pretty small. Everyone else in the NFL doesn't make me think we have to play a perfect game to win

Top Tier:

Kansas City Chiefs

MAYBE the New Orleans Saints (with the way their defense is starting to play)

After that there are just A LOT of really good football teams this year, especially in the AFC. I don't put Pittsburgh in the top tier, but they are right there on the cusp at the moment. I really do believe the playoffs are wide open at this point in time. Any one of these teams could knock off an opponent on the road. The Chiefs have that winning experience on their side, as well as an insanely talented offense, which is always a plus. But even last night we saw the Raiders keep up with them for the entire 60 minutes. 

I thought people would react to the Josh Allen comment.

First, my post was from the point of view of the stats.  That's what I said at the outset.   Look at the stats.  Yards, 6th.  Yards per attempt, 8th.  TDs 8th.  INTs, about 10th.  Rating, 9th.   That's why I said barely top 10.  

If you're talking about the future, about the QB I want to have for the next ten years, Allen's in my top 5, maybe actually in my top two, with Mahomes.  Allen is going to be phenomenal.  But if you're talking about the present, he isn't quite there yet.  Rivers, for example, showed again yesterday how good the really good field generals can be, and even though Rivers can't hold a candle to Allen in terms of physical talent, running the team is what sets apart the great from the good QBs.   Rodgers, Rivers, Ben, Brees, Mahomes all have that. 

Josh has made great strides in three years, and as I've always said, he needs another year or two.  When he's a great a field general, the only guys who will be able to play with him will be the guys with great arms.   That's Mahomes and maybe Watson.   

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills coaching staff is very good when they are behind at halftime. They identify and make the adjustments to counteract the opponent's game plan. On the other side, the Bills coaching staff sucks when they are ahead at halftime. When it's the other team who has identified and made adjustments to the Bills game plan it always reverts to playing it safe, trying not to turn the ball over, and running clock. It's like there is never any "on the fly" identifying and adjusting being done. It always only happens at halftime. The Bills are good about coming from behind when they are losing, and they are great at letting the other team hang around and pull momentum away when they are winning. That's the simple explanation for why their point differential is so close to .500. Maybe they need better in game communication between the coaches so that adjustments can be made quicker..... i don't know. It's what it seems like though.

Edited by pigpen65
  • Like (+1) 4

I'm to the point where when there's less than 2:00 on the clock and they're down by a score or less, I expect Josh to take the team down the field for the winning score.  Other than Mahomes, Wilson or Rodgers, there isn't another QB that I feel that way about.  I can't believe that I just wrote that about a Buffalo Bills QB.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It pains me to admit how good Tennessee is. The Bills will probably be battling them at the top of the AFC for a while. I really hate the Titans.

If Allen stays on this trajectory, the Bills will be fine. He's definitely top 10. I agree with your take on McDermott's process. It's very thorough and they have to wade through some muddy waters along the way. What we're seeing is a very Pittsburgh- .. Patriots- .. Seattle- like transformation into a perennial contender.

• Like (+1) 1