2021 Premature Draft- List your top 3 positions of need

MClem06

Overall, the Bills should always draft football players who have a high intelligence for the game who are great athletes. 

Not great athletes that happen to play football. Sometimes they work out like JPP, sometimes they are CJ Spiller.

Tight End.  The Bills haven't invested in a blue chip prospect TE in decades.  I find the current cast to be very average.  

Linebacker.  You can't have too many linebackers.  

Safety.  The Bills will need a new era of Poyer/Hyde soon.  

On 11/23/2020 at 7:21 AM, GunnerBill said:

Pass rusher. Pass rusher. Pass rusher.

After that a 1tech DT, a corner #2 and TE #1 are both on the list as is another linebacker, a safety and a speed receiver. A lot will depend on how many of last year's uninspiring crop of FAs they are willing to move on from. Norman was only a 1 year deal, as is Brian Winters and (in reality) Vernon Butler's. Addison and Klein cost money to get out of.... but that will affect how they approach this year's free agency and, critically as a consequence, how they approach the draft.

Hey Gunner, do you know of an existing breakdown (maybe in another thread) of whose contracts are/aren't easy to get out of this offseason? I'm really curious about our actual ability to sign FAs.

On 11/25/2020 at 5:01 PM, GunnerBill said:

Spotrac is my go to.

I like spotrac a lot.

For draft stuff I do like TDN. Their mock draft machine is pretty cool. If you have the premium you can make trades etc.

I really do wish there was an NFL site similar to what the NHL has in “Capfriendly”. Really cool sight where you can basically pick a team and perform hypothetical trades/signings/create players, etc etc. I know with the NFL’s salary system it might be more difficult but I really believe whoever would create it could get people to pay for that kind of product if it was available.

On 11/23/2020 at 7:17 AM, ProcessAccepted said:

I haven't given up on our RBs. Our ability to pass the ball this year has taken us away from the run. I'd make defense be the focus for the draft. 

Since the Bills just had their bye week and McDermott said they’d be working on the running game, I’ll reserve judgment on the RBs until after the next couple games.

• Like (+1) 1

LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah and TE Tommy Tremble are both freaks on Notre Dame and would be great fits on the Bills IMO.

Koramoah is one of the best (if not the best) LBs in the nation and excels vs the run and the pass, can rush the QB, and has shown a knack for forcing fumbles. Tremble has some athleticism and pass-catching ability at the TE position, but his blocking ability and his enthusiasm for contact is unlike any college player I've seen and what will have him playing on Sundays. Both guys could start in Year 1 and immediately improve our defense and our run game on offense which are the areas that need improvement. 

ND play North Carolina at 3:30 PM ET today, worth a watch. 

To answer the OP's question, I think the 3-4 positions to target in the draft are LB, CB, TE, and OL. 

7 hours ago, ColeB said:

Since the Bills just had their bye week and McDermott said they’d be working on the running game, I’ll reserve judgment on the RBs until after the next couple games.

That's fair. I think having Mitch Morse back on Sunday will help Mongo create lanes for the RBs

Address immediate needs in free agency.

Gotta' play the long game in the draft.

Get the best talent at the high dollar positions that are hard to fill in UFA in the early rounds of each draft.

The positions of that group that could most impact the Bills long range are pass rusher and WR1...........but never pass on a great QB prospect.........and if there is a LT prospect better than the pass rusher or WR1 then take that guy instead.

At worst all of those players are very trade-able........they don't instantly depreciate when driven off the lot.

CB1 is the last of the premium positions on the list(in the Bills system) and it's a good play if the others aren't better players.........it's just that the position is easier to fill in McDermott's D than others.

Needs change every year.

Don't change your strategy to fill holes that's how you end up with Shaq/Ragnuts/Adolphus draft classes..........or like Beane with his Cody Ford/Singletary 2-3 combo that is underwhelming everyone this year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/23/2020 at 7:08 AM, The Jokeman said:

LB, CB and TE. I'm on a work break so don't have much time but the draft name at TE that I like is Kyle Pitts from Florida. 

We absolutely have to draft Pitts in the late 1st.  I'm so sick and tired of sucking at TE.  After that it's all defense. 

On 11/23/2020 at 7:05 AM, MClem06 said:

Mine are LB spot opposite of Milano #1

CB opposite of Trey Day #2 (I acould see us grabbing more than one with our picks)

Best available Run Blocking Offensive Guard/Tackle #3  (some would argue this should be first or second)

Never would have thought this time last year that our defensive needs outweigh the offensive needs.  Would be amazing to get a big splash TE in free agency if there are any coming up that position has sucked for us this year. Knox hasn't panned out yet and kroft's consistency is suspect.  

Feel free to chime in with your draft top 3 and maybe a few free agent names that will hit the market in your perceived pos. of need.  

We have a lot of needs still.

1) OG 2) DE 3)OT 4) TE 5) CB 6) RB 7) LB

On 11/23/2020 at 10:21 AM, BillsRdue said:

I think we need a big body in the middle and go DT early too.  But FA will determine the order. Mine is  LB/DT/TE/CB/RB.

Well they need help here somehow. The most immediate impact is probably to go the FA route. It's tough to know the draft needs until FA has happened.

1. OL (LG and RG. We need 1 more dominant O Lineman and continued improvement across the OL would really unlock this offense).

2a. TE (Knox has been a bit of a snore in 2020. A really good TE would fill a big hole and allow Allen to take another step in his development.) 

2b. CB (There's a big dropoff in talent at CB after TW. We need to keep looking for an upgrade at CB#2 and in the slot.)

3. NT (run stuffer, block eater and pocket pusher. Teams with strong OL's can push our front 7 around too easily.) 

4. Edge/OLB (An elite pass rusher would make the entire secondary better.)

As far as order goes, it's a virtual tie anyways.Upgrading at any of these positions would be a big boost to our chances of winning.