2021 Premature Draft- List your top 3 positions of need

MClem06

I have a couple thoughts on the topic. I keep thinking about who we have to beat to get to and win a Super Bowl. Is our preference going to be a pressure/pick or a coverage/sack approach. I am leaning more coverage sack because of the success New England has had over the last couple years. Their secondary has been excellent and have been able to frustrate teams with press man and have been able to create confusion and pressure with the DL/LB groups. There are too many good QB's in the league now with an arsenal of weapons. I am leaning for cover people. Would love to add a top end cover corner to go with a big nickel/LB like Kyle Duggar and Jimmy Chinn that we were looking at very closely last year. I don't know who they are yet, but I will in time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

TE, LB, DE. I'd say DT but Star will be back to be the 1T, and CB is a need but I mean for more in the slot. Levi, Dane, plus a FA can battle it out next year while you bring along another mid round pick at outside CB.

EJ Gaines might be back next year as a veteran option but I'd still sign another one. Kevin Johnson might be a guy to consider bringing back or maybe him and another guy if have health concerns. 

Linebacker and Tight End are the two biggest holes on the roster. 

3rd is somewhat difficult to pin down, Cornerback, Guard, Safety (Hyde and Poyer are quietly getting older). 

I'll say Defensive End/Line is still a need. It's old Trent Murphy, Jerry Hughes (still producing), Attison, and a bunch of guys at DT - Oliver, Phillips, Butler, Zimmer and so on. 

The Bills should also keep adding WR's. Keep developing the skill positions and try to get faster. 

• Like (+1) 1

I would like to see them put top resources into Offense.

Make the OL better, get a real TE who can run and catch, maybe even try to upgrade the WR corps, as good as it has been.

Not sure it can't be made better.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Hughes & Addison have been good this year.  I'd be surprised if either is cut.

We just used a 2nd Round Pick on Epenesa.   

I just don't see DE as a huge need next year.

Now, the '22 Draft, i'd be scouting early round pass rushers for sure. 

I'm fine with bringing in competition at any position.  

I see the cut candidates as - Butler or Jefferson (probably not both - but it's dependent on where the cap sits), Morse, Smith, and Brown.  If you release Brown, it's a big signal to davis/hodgins that they better step up.  

They offensive line currently loses: Williams Nsekhe Feliciano Winters and boettger is a RFA.  From the rest of the team - Milano Murphy Kroft Norman roberts are FA.  Milano is well discussed.  I could see bringing kroft back - he's actually rather appropriately paid and has outperformed knox this season.  Normans done unless he wants to play for league minimum.  Murphy's for sure gone.  

This draft to me feels like it'll be heavy oline.  A guard and a tackle in the first 3 picks.  I'm personally reluctant to cut morse, since 4 players are already at risk of leaving, so it depends who is brought back - but right now its just Dawkins-Ford-Morse-???-???

I think the dline will get a chance to improve with star returning.  They'll try and retain milano.  Marlowe can probably come back for cheap in that big nickel role.  I also think buffalo will look in the 2nd at those tweener LB/S players with plus athleticism.

So id expect - OL S OL in the first 3 rounds.  In the 5th I'd expect a pass rusher, a corner maybe, and depth.

7 minutes ago, ogham26 said:

Tight end is the number one need going into next offseason.  trade draft or free agency they need to get a threat from that spot.  after that its probably 2 linebackers 

I think its a vastly overrated need.  Krofts been fine there.  The team can't run the ball, and has needs along the offensive line - it also serves a dual purpose of protecting the most important asset on the team.  

I don’t know about “top 3” in the draft, but I hope that we:

-Continue to strengthen the OL.  Run blocking needs to improve and pass protection must be top 5.

- add another starting caliber CB to battle Dane and whomever else we keep.

-  upgrade Taron Johnson.  Worst case, add someone that will challenge him.  It’ll be the last year of his rookie contract.  I feel that the only thing he is consistent with is throwing his little body in harms way to try and make plays.  The kid has heart and I respect him.  I just don’t think he’s good enough in coverage.  He’s got a few months to prove me wrong.

-  LB has issues and questions.  I have no idea what we’re going to do here.  If we resign milano, I see us adding depth.  If we don’t resign him, he needs to be replaced and his replacement must be able to cover as well as play the run.  Maybe his replacement will be a MLB and Tremaine goes outside?  That’s what I’ve been hoping but I doubt they move him.

- continue to look for pass rushers.  They are a premium and it’s not easy to find the elite pass rushers.  Maybe rd 1.  Too many possible moving parts here to list the possibilities.  

-  getting star back and make sure we have a good backup 1 tech.  Beane not replacing him was his biggest mistake this offseason imo.

-  Kroft is a FA. Dawson Knox has a few weeks to show us that he doesn’t suck.  We’ll need to add at least 1 starting caliber tight end.

-  I’d love to be able to trade Motor for a 3rd or 4th.  Not happening, I know.  But one can dream.  Then we could add a good RB with some speed to pair with Moss.  I really think we’re missing speed in our backfield. 

I couldn’t tell you what the top 3 draft pick needs are, but I hope we take care of the above 

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Under the doomsday cap scenario, I think we move on from Morse/Milano & use that money to re-sign Feliciano/Williams. 

C/G

LB

WR (Speed is essential to this offense)

I'm rolling with Knox next year unless Pitts or Freiermuth are somehow in our range.

Looking forward to see how Bills defense plays the rest of season and whether Milano returns this year.  Could decide Milano's fate.

Also, I believe Morse has had 5 documented concussions.  His next one could be his last one before retiring.  Just don't see how the Bills keep him after this season.

A lot of this depends on who they bring back, and what they do in free agency. They don’t have a ton of space but can create some cutting expensive players (Vernon Butler, Lee smith, Tyler Matakevich) or renegotiating contracts to push money down the road (Morse or Diggs), or extend guys with only one more year left in their deals (John Brown, Micah Hyde, Addison).

I think the offense has its key components. The needs there (even if they lose Williams) aren’t crazy. 

I do believe they’ll bring back Feliciano.

I do think they keep Brown around and even extend him to lower his 2021 cap #. 

-I believe they need one starting offensive lineman, and one depth player. Could be a tackle or guard. Many here aren’t fans, but I think they believe Cody Ford gives them inside/outside flexibility. I think he and Feliciano were a decent combo on the right side last season and we’re good for the run game together. I see them having faith that Bates can become the swing tackle and Boettger will be ready for a full time reserve role on the inside. 

-They  need a running back with speed in order to make defenses defend the edge when we run the ball. Singletary and Moss are nice, and the run games lack of success is not entirely on them, but we need speed in our backfield badly. 

-The biggest need might be at tight end but I wonder how much they fee the need to incorporate one, how much they like Kroft, and how much faith they have that Knox can still develop. I don’t think it’s a 1st round pick need for them, but I could see a 2nd round or later pick used if they find the right guy. I also wonder if they could use Hodgins in a lot of the ways they want to use Knox as a split out Tight End that basically ends up being a big slot receiver. Hodgins has good hands and a reputation as a red zone target from college. 

Defense:

-they need a 1-Tech. Star should be coming back, so that helps. But they need someone behind him as well. 
I fully expect their DT’s next year to be Oliver,

Lotulelei, H. Phillips, a cheap UFA backup 1-tech, and Zimmer. Jefferson will return but he’ll be a guy who moves around more (DE/DT) once they figure out the 1-tech issue.

Butler will be cut imo.

-I don’t expect them to go crazy for an edge rusher. Hughes, Addison, Epenesa & Johnson will return, and Jefferson will likely play a lot more as a LDE. 
D-Line will basically be:

DE: Hughes/Addison/Jefferson/Epenesa

3T-DT: Oliver/Zimmer

1T-DT: Lotulelei/UFA 

-With Daryl Johnson and Harrison Phillips being the depth that is usually scratched on game days. 

-At LB they need to add at least one early in the draft. Possibly two. I wonder if they look for a Milano replacement as well as an eventual Lorax replacement as well. Zaven Collins from Tulsa could be a candidate for the Lorenzo Alexander role that Klein is somewhat trying to fill but really can’t. 
I think Owusu-Koramoah would be a perfect Milano replacement, or addition even if Milano sticks around... but I don’t think he falls to us.

-I think they will look for someone to fill that 3rd safety, big nickel role. With Milano hurt it really exposed Taron Johnson in coverage. They need a bigger body who can man up with guys like a Kittle in the slot but also stick with guys like Edelman. Hamsah Nasirildeen is a guy I think that could do that, and also be a candidate to replace Hyde or Poyer long term as well. 

-At corner I think they do what they usually do. Draft a guy in the mid-late rounds and then sign a couple low key UFA’s.

Overall I would rate their needs like so:

(how I believe they’ll address it in parentheses)

1. 1-Tech DT (Star L. & UFA backup)

2. Big Nickel/Slot (Draft Early)

3. OL (Draft Early to Mid rounds and UFA)

4. SLB/Passrusher (Draft Early)

5. CB (Draft mid to late rounds)
6. Tight End (Draft mid to late rounds)

7. Speed Back (Draft Late or UFA)

I believe it’ll be a defense heavy draft. You’ll see one or two offensive lineman, and maybe a tight end drafted, and the rest of the picks will be defense.

Also, their cap being as limited as it will be, I expect them to try to trade down and attempt to get more picks later on in the draft in order to add cheap depth wherever they can. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/23/2020 at 9:05 AM, MClem06 said:

Mine are LB spot opposite of Milano #1

CB opposite of Trey Day #2 (I acould see us grabbing more than one with our picks)

Best available Run Blocking Offensive Guard/Tackle #3  (some would argue this should be first or second)

Never would have thought this time last year that our defensive needs outweigh the offensive needs.  Would be amazing to get a big splash TE in free agency if there are any coming up that position has sucked for us this year. Knox hasn't panned out yet and kroft's consistency is suspect.  

Feel free to chime in with your draft top 3 and maybe a few free agent names that will hit the market in your perceived pos. of need.  

1. TE

2. OL

3. DE or LB

We are in the same conference as Mahomes, Burrow, Lamar Jackson, and Herbert. We need to score a lot of points. We have our franchise QB - build around him and hope MCD and co can land a couple of quality defensive players in the later rounds. 

A TE like Waller or Kelce would take this offense to an elite level. 

Edited by bobobonators

On November 23, 2020 at 2:53 PM, ogham26 said:

Tight end is the number one need going into next offseason.  trade draft or free agency they need to get a threat from that spot.  after that its probably 2 linebackers 

I think LB is priority one. I'm gonna keep beating the drum for Nick Bolton on this forum. The same way I did for Rivers, Metcalf and Jonathan Taylor. Bolton is a tackling machine. Diagnoses plays and attacks. Kuechly like. He's 6' 230 lbs. I think he's an immediate impact player

13 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

1. TE

2. OL

3. DE or LB

We are in the same conference as Mahomes, Burrow, Lamar Jackson, and Herbert. We need to score a lot of points. We have our franchise QB - build around him and hope MCD and co can land a couple of quality defensive players in the later rounds. 

A TE like Waller or Kelce would take this offense to an elite level. 

This is a deep TE draft class. Look at highlights for Charlie Kolar, Kenny Yeboah, Jake Ferguson, Noah Gray, Cary Angeline. All could be had later in draft

On 11/23/2020 at 9:05 AM, MClem06 said:

Mine are LB spot opposite of Milano #1

CB opposite of Trey Day #2 (I acould see us grabbing more than one with our picks)

Best available Run Blocking Offensive Guard/Tackle #3  (some would argue this should be first or second)

Never would have thought this time last year that our defensive needs outweigh the offensive needs.  Would be amazing to get a big splash TE in free agency if there are any coming up that position has sucked for us this year. Knox hasn't panned out yet and kroft's consistency is suspect.  

Feel free to chime in with your draft top 3 and maybe a few free agent names that will hit the market in your perceived pos. of need.  

I love the fact that it's Thanksgiving, and I don't give a crap about the draft! I mean, I enjoy talking about and researching Bills draft needs, but that's usually what gets me through the off season, after the Bills are out of it. 

Edge Rusher

Linebacker x2

Tight End

I'd pick up a corner or two in free agency. Honestly, a free agent TE would be nice too. I don't have any confidence that a rookie TE can come in and contribute. And honestly I don't value the TE position as much as other positions.