2021 Premature Draft- List your top 3 positions of need

MClem06

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Pass rusher. Pass rusher. Pass rusher.

After that a 1tech DT, a corner #2 and TE #1 are both on the list as is another linebacker, a safety and a speed receiver. A lot will depend on how many of last year's uninspiring crop of FAs they are willing to move on from. Norman was only a 1 year deal, as is Brian Winters and (in reality) Vernon Butler's. Addison and Klein cost money to get out of.... but that will affect how they approach this year's free agency and, critically as a consequence, how they approach the draft.

While I agree we need a true game breaking DE that can take over, I fear because we've invested so heavily this past offseason that we will ignore the position this offseason. 

My needs are;

A true MLB

1 tech DT

#2 corner

We have some depth needs at guard and if we lose Darryl Williams RT shoots to the top of the needs list. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DJB said:

While I agree we need a true game breaking DE that can take over, I fear because we've invested so heavily this past offseason that we will ignore the position this offseason. 

My needs are;

A true MLB

1 tech DT

#2 corner

We have some depth needs at guard and if we lose Darryl Williams RT shoots to the top of the needs list. 

Murphy is gone as UFA.

All the contracts Beane handed out last offseason are cheap and easy to get out of if we decide to replace them (and we should).

There is no way Beane can ignore the DE position this offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

They have needs, the only glaring need is LB if Milano leaves, the others are needs. The way they have put the roster together is they are positioned to take best player available. The caveat I would put on that in rounds 1-3 there are definitely value plays based on their cap hits under a rookie contract:

Round 1: The value plays by position are QB, WR, OT, CB, DL (mostly pass rusher though DTs go high too). Bills don't need QB, WR, if they re-sign D. Williams they are good at OT,  so it would be CB or DL

Round 2: RBs can be of value, but this is where TE, OG and LB are fertile value ground

Round 3: Any of the above that haven't been address, take best player available

After round 3 it's best player at any position, stick to your board and pick the best one, probably best athlete with upside. 

Even though they will be picking low they should be able to get 3 good players. 

2 hours ago, MClem06 said:

Mine are LB spot opposite of Milano #1

CB opposite of Trey Day #2 (I acould see us grabbing more than one with our picks)

Best available Run Blocking Offensive Guard/Tackle #3  (some would argue this should be first or second)

Never would have thought this time last year that our defensive needs outweigh the offensive needs.  Would be amazing to get a big splash TE in free agency if there are any coming up that position has sucked for us this year. Knox hasn't panned out yet and kroft's consistency is suspect.  

Feel free to chime in with your draft top 3 and maybe a few free agent names that will hit the market in your perceived pos. of need.  

Agree with LB and CB.  O line depends on what happens with Williams and Feleciano.  If they were to both come back then the line has their 5 starters, need goes way down.  If anything I'd argue more for a center/guard in case Morse decides he's had enough in one more year or so. You seem to need to use high draft picks on O line if you want the guy to be an instant starter.  Assuming Morse comes back at least for 2021,  you can develop mid range picks into starters in year 2 to 3.

I think with the money invested in White, you need a low cost option at #2 CB so would be in favor of drafting one there maybe in 2nd or 3rd.  Probably look for LB late in the first,  should still be someone good at #32.  Could also get a good starting LB in FA too.  I'd almost favor that and draft an Edge late in the 1st round, though not certain how well you can find one that late.  Or even draft Star's replacement for 2022/23.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Murphy is gone as UFA.

All the contracts Beane handed out last offseason are cheap and easy to get out of if we decide to replace them (and we should).

There is no way Beane can ignore the DE position this offseason.

Hughes & Addison have been good this year.  I'd be surprised if either is cut.

We just used a 2nd Round Pick on Epenesa.   

I just don't see DE as a huge need next year.

Now, the '22 Draft, i'd be scouting early round pass rushers for sure. 

8 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

TE, LB, DE. I'd say DT but Star will be back to be the 1T, and CB is a need but I mean for more in the slot. Levi, Dane, plus a FA can battle it out next year while you bring along another mid round pick at outside CB.

Star will be back so they don't need a guy to start at the 1tech but they need some depth there. What we have learnt this season so far is that the second best 1 tech on the roster after Star is a guy who was drafted to play 3 tech, weighs under 300 lbs and isn't a very good 1 tech.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Process said:

I'm honestly shocked how few people are saying DT. Its the number one need and probably not close, imo. 

DT

TE

LB

We already have our starters for next year in Star/Oliver.   Even if we cut Harry, Jefferson and Butler, i'm completely fine drafting DT's in the mid-late rounds.   

Enough with the constant high picks on defense.  

We have:

Jordan Poyer at S

Tre White at CB

Edmunds at MLB

Oliver at DT

Epenesa at DE

That's 5 guys who are either recent high picks or recent pay day players.  

Figure it out..  I'll lose my mind if we draft a LB, DT and DE in the Top 100.  

LB will be a high priority if Milano leaves and with the growing list of TE weapons, drafting another linebacker high (especially when we only really play two of them) makes sense. 

DT, draft a rotational guy in the mid-rounds.  DE, start scouting for a high pick in '22.  

Edited by SCBills

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

LB, CB and TE. I'm on a work break so don't have much time but the draft name at TE that I like is Kyle Pitts from Florida. 

Kyle Pitts is likely long gone by the time the Bills pick.  The consensus right now is that the Bills will pick a CB with their first round pick.  I agree they have needs at LB and TE in addition to CB.  I think they need a good edge rusher too.  Hughes and Addison are not going to last forever.  Epenesa may develop as an all around defensive end, but he'll never be the athletic edge rusher Buffalo needs.

29 minutes ago, Process said:

I'm honestly shocked how few people are saying DT. Its the number one need and probably not close, imo. 

DT

TE

LB

Well.. you have to figure that Star will be back.. that helps a lot.. but to be honest, I’d like to see another big fat NT to plug in next to him.. People forget that Pat Williams, Sam Adams and Ted Washington did get a fair amount of pass rush.. sometimes 3 or 4 sacks a year... that’s a lot better than what Ed Oliver has done.. DTs that post 10 sacks a year or more are unicorns.. gimme another hog to plug in next to Star and watch our run defense go into the top 5.. Draft a DE RD1 and see if Hughes is willing to take a 50% pay cut.. 

Between Jackson, Wallace and Norman I think we have a solid #2 CB in there somewhere. We might have Gaines next year as well. Injuries have been the issue this year but I think on paper we are okay. 

I think in the next couple years we should look to replace Hyde with a young , stud safety. 

Edited by Process

16 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Well.. you have to figure that Star will be back.. that helps a lot.. but to be honest, I’d like to see another big fat NT to plug in next to him.. People forget that Pat Williams, Sam Adams and Ted Washington did get a fair amount of pass rush.. sometimes 3 or 4 sacks a year... that’s a lot better than what Ed Oliver has done.. DTs that post 10 sacks a year or more are unicorns.. gimme another hog to plug in next to Star and watch our run defense go into the top 5.. Draft a DE RD1 and see if Hughes is willing to take a 50% pay cut.. 

thats not what this defensive scheme calls for, and that aint changing anytime soon.

Now drafting a big fat NT to play behind Star/take over for him, im all about and think that is a very real need. But we wont see them next to each other very often, Maybe goal line situation or something. 

DE - Bills really need an impact DE on the edge

TE - Kroft is a decent stop gap but doesn't really threaten a team, as deep as this years TE class the Bills could really land a good one 

DL (1 tech)- was torn between G or a 1 Tech DL as this is more of a hole right now