Levi Wallace is Underrated

Back2Buff

With Levi Wallace missing some games back to the end of last season, and now this season, I had this feeling that we just win more with Levi in the lineup.

I pulled the data this morning, and it is pretty staggering how much he means to this team.

Levi became a regular on this team in Week 10 of 2018.  Since that time, there has been a possible 34 games he could have played in.

In games that he has played 60% or more of the snaps, the Bills are 18-6.  In games where he didn't play 60% or more (this includes games he played 0% because he was hurt), the Bills are 3-7.

This year alone the Bills are 5-0 where he played more than 60% and 2-3 where he was hurt/COVID.

He may make some mistakes, but the guy clearly brings an element that we can replicate when he is injured.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Levi became a regular on this team in Week 10 of 2018.  Since that time, there has been a possible 34 games he could have played in.

In games that he has played 60% or more of the snaps, the Bills are 18-6.  In games where he didn't play 60% or more (this includes games he played 0% because he was hurt), the Bills are 3-7.

This year alone the Bills are 5-0 where he played more than 60% and 2-3 where he was hurt/COVID.

I'm not sure this correlation equals causation.

It definitely helps to have experienced players in the game, but Dane Jackson has looked about as good as Wallace.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm not sure this correlation equals causation.

It definitely helps to have experienced players in the game, but Dane Jackson has looked about as good as Wallace.

Agree correlation is not causation, but Levi is a guy who knows and understand this system. He is also mentally extremely strong. Sometimes this system requires Levi to allow catches against him in order to dictate to the offense. To be able as a corner to see the ball being thrown in your direction and to have the discipline to be able to say to yourself repeatedly "I can't sell out for this, I have to let him catch it and stay in my position and tackle." That takes real mental strength. The games Norman started he really struggled with that and was wanting to make plays on the football in situations where it allowed for big YAC. This defense really is a 1/11th defense. And sometimes Levi's 1/11th is not the sort of role that will ever make you look great or get your name up in lights and yet he just keeps doing it. I'd love to think we can upgrade at that 2nd corner spot opposite Tre but until we do we look so much better when it is played by a guy like Levi who knows his limitations and understands his role in the scheme. He sacrifices himself for the defense more than I think people realise.

• Like (+1) 8

Our poor corners are getting beat up pretty bad in run support this year. 

If your Dline gets pushed back too often, your LB's get swallowed up by the 300 pounders, and far too many times our cb's have to tackle RB's with a full head of steam.

If we could just let Tre and Levi cover and ball hawk we'd be doing everyone a favor.  

What happens in the trenches affects everything.

• Like (+1) 6

This is a stretch.  In 3 of the wins with Levi, the D gave up 28, 32, 34 points.  In those games, he played 87/100/100% of snaps.  In the Raiders game where he was limited to 6%, they gave up 23 points.

He has 17 solo tackles and 3 PD in 326 snaps.  He is allowing 11 YPC, the highest in his career.   To draw any line from his being on the field to the success or failure of the team this season is a massive overstatement. 

He's a solid backup CB.  

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

He's not a starting caliber NFL CB.

When comparing him to Taron Johnson and Josh Norman, yeah he looks awesome.

He's the kinda guy you want on the roster when your starting CB goes down and you need a fill in. That's about it.

And probably when you compare him to most of the CB2s in the league. We tend to have different eyes for our own players (some people skew positive, others negative), but Taron Johnson and Levi Wallace have been an important cog--as usual CB2 and CB3-on a pass defense that's been at or near the best two years in a row. I suspect they're both a bit better than you value them. 

1 hour ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

I think Levi is a quality corner.  In my view, we are definitely better with him out there than Norman.  Dane Jackson could give him a push, but Levi is smart and an asset.

Levi's ideally a depth CB as don't think he has great speed, he does have good quickness though which sometimes allow him to make a play on a ball to prevent a reception but he's not always great at it. Essentially he's inconsistent which to me makes you more of a backup than a starter. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree correlation is not causation, but Levi is a guy who knows and understand this system. He is also mentally extremely strong. Sometimes this system requires Levi to allow catches against him in order to dictate to the offense. To be able as a corner to see the ball being thrown in your direction and to have the discipline to be able to say to yourself repeatedly "I can't sell out for this, I have to let him catch it and stay in my position and tackle." That takes real mental strength. The games Norman started he really struggled with that and was wanting to make plays on the football in situations where it allowed for big YAC. This defense really is a 1/11th defense. And sometimes Levi's 1/11th is not the sort of role that will ever make you look great or get your name up in lights and yet he just keeps doing it. I'd love to think we can upgrade at that 2nd corner spot opposite Tre but until we do we look so much better when it is played by a guy like Levi who knows his limitations and understands his role in the scheme. He sacrifices himself for the defense more than I think people realise.

Nice analysis.  I agree.  I've been a Wallace fan for over a year.   What I like is that he just doesn't make mistakes.  Corner is a position where by definition you are going to lose your battles more than you win them - passing offenses are too sophisticated and too effective to expect that corners are going to make plays all the time.  70% completion rates are common.  What's important for corners is to avoid making mistakes.  Stay with your guy, make the tackle, don't take penalties, support the run defense.   Levi's good at all that. 

As for Norman, I thought he was better than you say.   I was really pleased that he was willing to play within McDermott's system (which shouldn't have been a surprise, given their history).  I think he's a better talent than Levi, and I think the Bills will be in really good shape at corner if they can get him back.  I don't know who will play on that side, but the Bills will have great depth, and a lot of talent to put on the field when they go to the dime.  

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Nice analysis.  I agree.  I've been a Wallace fan for over a year.   What I like is that he just doesn't make mistakes.  Corner is a position where by definition you are going to lose your battles more than you win them - passing offenses are too sophisticated and too effective to expect that corners are going to make plays all the time.  70% completion rates are common.  What's important for corners is to avoid making mistakes.  Stay with your guy, make the tackle, don't take penalties, support the run defense.   Levi's good at all that. 

Especially when you have a guy on the other side that teams actively try and stay away from.