Week 12: Chargers at Bills

YoloinOhio

15 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

he definitely though turned the corner that last season in San Diego, but then got injured. It was silly for SD to let him Walk, in hindsight. The injury obviously had zero

effect. 

I dunno I think I remember reading an article about his shoulder being pretty messed up. Obviously Miami doctors wouldn’t clear him. I don’t think it was a slam dunk that his shoulder was going to be ok.

24 minutes ago, zow2 said:

As ESPN pointed out this morning. Buffalo has lost 7 of the last 8 vs the Chargers and our overall winning % is in the low .300’s against LA.  The worst against any opponent in Bills history.  So Buf has to change the mojo around tomorrow.  

Yeah that always bugs the snot out of me that the NFL brings up years of head-to-head team history as though it is relevant to today.

What's relevant is that McDermott as Bills HC has lost two games to the Chargers, both badly.

1) The infamous "Peterman" start in 2017

2) Josh Allen's first start in 2018.  Which Josh is rightly embarrassed about in hindsight - "how little I understood about our protections", where his answers were to various defensive schemes etc.  Not only did he not know it, he didn't know he didn't know it.    But That was Then, This is Now.

Our previous game against the Chargers was 2014.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I really think highly of the Chargers but this is a bad matchup for them. Our strengths pass rushing, generating takeaways play to their weaknesses. Also, call me crazy, but I still feel our secondary is underachieving and will snap back into a better place. On paper, we have the studs back there to cover and contain. 

Plus, this D down DBs ,  Ingrahm, Nwoso, beat up , methinks Josh will move the ball up and down the field and have time to throw.

Edited by RichRiderBills

44 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I agree, but i don’t think it’s a trap game.  The Bills know the significance and will be prepared.  you just don’t know if there will be rust and how turnovers will play into this.  

As ESPN pointed out this morning. Buffalo has lost 7 of the last 8 vs the Chargers and our overall winning % is in the low .300’s against LA.  The worst against any opponent in Bills history.  So Buf has to change the mojo around tomorrow.  

Ancient history.

Bills 35

Bolts 23

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, wvbillsfan said:

Results probably would’ve been the same. Maybe earlier picks a few years. 

It’s just hard to believe out of all those years we didn’t draft a better QB man I’m glad we got Allen first time since kelly I bought a bills jersey 

17 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

and yet they have gotten nowhere with any of them

In that time frame, they have had a 14-2 season, a 13-3 season, two 12-4 seasons, five playoff wins, and a championship game appearance. Yeah, there haven’t been any Super Bowls, but those highlights amount to a fair bit more than “nowhere.” 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

After the last game there is no way this is a trap game.  They will be primed to redeem.

I agree with you coming off a bad lost and with the AFC playoffs so tight no way this is a trap game if we lose it’s because they just beat us but I don’t see that happening 

9 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

After two years?

I’m not saying he’s done in Buffalo, but can we afford to go into 2021 with Ford as the unquestioned starter at LG? 

Solid competition must be added.  He’s in a lucky position due to the fact that all of our other guards are free agents, as is D Williams.  We’re going to have to spend and/or draft to fill  RG and RT, so adding competition at LG might be relegated to minimum salary FA or later draft pick.  His play has been way below par for a starting OL imo.  Hopefully he can make the improvements needed this offseason

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Wallace v Mike Williams is the matchup that intrigues me. How will he handle the length of Williams. Can't sleep on Josh Kelley running the ball either

bigger slower WR he does much better. not worried about that matchup

keenan allen is going to make me worried. BUT eleker out of the backfield will tear them up if he plays 

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m not saying he’s done in Buffalo, but can we afford to go into 2021 with Ford as the unquestioned starter at LG? 

Solid competition must be added.  He’s in a lucky position due to the fact that all of our other guards are free agents, as is D Williams.  We’re going to have to spend and/or draft to fill  RG and RT, so adding competition at LG might be relegated to minimum salary FA or later draft pick.  His play has been way below par for a starting OL imo.  Hopefully he can make the improvements needed this offseason

He was drafted in the 2nd round. He will a shot to start in 2021. Has he been great no, but it’s less than a half a season at his more natural position. By this time next season I think we can made more of a judgement. 

9 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

He was drafted in the 2nd round. He will a shot to start in 2021. Has he been great no, but it’s less than a half a season at his more natural position. By this time next season I think we can made more of a judgement. 

so being a 2nd round pick = getting handed a starting position?  That’s not what McD has preached since day one.

If we don’t add any solid competition for Ford, I feel we’ll regret it.  I’m not saying he definitely isn’t the answer.  I’m saying that he hasn’t even been average.  He’s been a negative player.  His play hasn’t earned him a starting position.  When you’re the weakest link along the OL, your job is in jeopardy unless you perform.  If we wait until AFTER NEXT season to give him competition, it could waste our 2021 season.  This time next season is a bad time to decide whether or not we add competition for his starting spot

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

... and a high draft pick...  That's where I am at.  He feels like trade bait to me.  Others have stepped in.  Others could step in.. When he's in there, he hasn't wowed.  Is the sample size too small?  Absolutely.  Can teams afford to wait anymore?  Debatable. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

so being a 2nd round pick = getting handed a starting position?  That’s not what McD has preached since day one.

If we don’t add any solid competition for Ford, I feel we’ll regret it.  I’m not saying he definitely isn’t the answer.  I’m saying that he hasn’t even been average.  He’s been a negative player.  His play hasn’t earned him a starting position.  When you’re the weakest link along the OL, your job is in jeopardy unless you perform.  If we wait until AFTER NEXT season to give him competition, it could waste our 2021 season.  This time next season is a bad time to decide whether or not we add competition for his starting spot

All good points. I’m saying he’s had about 6 starts at his best position.His potential alone is worth seeing how it plays out. If he doesn’t win the positive in preseason then he does not start. 

1 hour ago, Mailman said:

Ford has been a bit of a disappointment. However I was hoping he would be back so we could see him get more game time at LG and determine his future role with the team. 

Maybe.

I just believe that you have to think long term with players. Not every player is going to be an instant success.

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Maybe.

I just believe that you have to think long term with players. Not every player is going to be an instant success.

I recall Jim Ritcher, a first round pick and an All American in college.  He did not even start until his 4th year in the league.  Ended up playing 16 seasons in the NFL and 2 pro bowls.