Week 12: Chargers at Bills

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Lost in all the talks about our defensive drop off is the fact that even after the bye week our D is 8th in sacks and 6th in turnovers. 

... One would think having a knack for those things could have a large impact on a rookie qb. Especially with 2 weeks to prepare. 

Yup, two big possible impacts for this weekend.

3 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Still on the IR for another week.  So will not be playing this game.

the WTOP news report from the  7th RE IR.  

Milano is required to spend at least three weeks on injured reserve, though could miss only two games with Buffalo having a bye week after playing at Arizona next weekend.

and USA Today 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/11/07/buffalo-bills-place-starting-linebacker-matt-milano-on-ir/43015589/

The Chargers are due for a win, which makes me a bit uncomfortable. But they're facing a rested, pissed-off Bills team, so I'm not too worried.  Herbert is really something. He looks like more mobile Marino.  

4 minutes ago, finn said:

The Chargers are due for a win, which makes me a bit uncomfortable. But they're facing a rested, pissed-off Bills team, so I'm not too worried.  Herbert is really something. He looks like more mobile Marino.  

The Jets just gave them that win. Now if the Jets could get their first win this week against Miami... that would be fantastic. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Milano is required to spend at least three weeks on injured reserve, though could miss only two games with Buffalo having a bye week after playing at Arizona next weekend.

and USA Today 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/11/07/buffalo-bills-place-starting-linebacker-matt-milano-on-ir/43015589/

Milano has to miss three games on the IR, not three weeks. This has been confirmed by every single Bills reporter. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, finn said:

Yeah, I don't see the Marino comparison at all. Marino had one of the best arms I have ever seen. He also had one of the quickest releases I have ever seen. He also doesn't have the attitude Marino had. Herbert is a quiet kid who just kind of goes about his business. If there is anyone he reminds me of, it's a more mobile version of Carson Palmer. 

• Like (+1) 1

Chargers are a team that has found away to lose close games.  I would not look past them.  A rested Bills team should come out and be aggressive on both sides of the ball.  If the Bills get an early lead, it will be a good day for them.  I look for the Bills to get the win.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Lost in all the talks about our defensive drop off is the fact that even after the bye week our D is 8th in sacks and 6th in turnovers. 

... One would think having a knack for those things could have a large impact on a rookie qb. Especially with 2 weeks to prepare. 

Bills have a better defense than we realize. This modern NFL, the good defenses are going to generate sacks, turnovers, and stiff up at the goal line. No one is a shut down dominant defense anymore. The rules, lack of contact in practice, and new offenses have opened things up for good. 

I do feel we need to get better stopping the run. What has killed us all year is 3rd downs, poor tackling/ pursuit angles, and letting mobile QBs escape the pocket. 

Still there is this fantasy out there that the top teams have balenced units, when its just not the case.

On 11/23/2020 at 5:51 AM, RichRiderBills said:

Herbert and K. Allen are impressive. Gotta limit them.  Another case of gameplanning vs a young QB and his elite outlet. 

That being said, I dont think it will be that close. In Buffalo, i think San Diego and Herbert may have a bit of a set back. Young QBs have them where the bottom falls out, and I can see that coming. West coast team, traveling east, cold, weather for a WC QB

I like us in this one. 

Herbert played in Oregon, he's used to that kind of weather. This is all wishful thinking, Herbert is having an incredible rookie season and only getting better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

and USA Today 

This has been corrected.  It's wrong, the current policy is 3 games, not 3 weeks.

2 hours ago, finn said:

Marino?

That comparison is...interesting.

These two players are complete opposites in terms of physical traits AND personalities. One is big and athletic and has a giant arm but is very introverted, while the other had a quick release, accuracy, and enjoyed tanning, whining, and screaming at his own players and the refs. 

What's the similarity, again?

Edited by Richard Noggin

1 hour ago, finn said:

Yeah, McDermott had high praise for him.  Said watching film, it's clear he sees the field very well and makes good reads and you can't make him "see ghosts" as you can sometimes with other young QBs.

I have to admit I've been impressed with the improvement on the Chargers offense going from Rivers to Herbert.  They're extremely effective at keeping and moving the ball - went from #10 YPG to #3 YPG so far.  Likewise improvement from #21 to #15 in PPG.

41 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Bills have a better defense than we realize. This modern NFL, the good defenses are going to generate sacks, turnovers, and stiff up at the goal line. No one is a shut down dominant defense anymore. The rules, lack of contact in practice, and new offenses have opened things up for good. 

I do feel we need to get better stopping the run. What has killed us all year is 3rd downs, poor tackling/ pursuit angles, and letting mobile QBs escape the pocket. 

Still there is this fantasy out there that the top teams have balenced units, when its just not the case.

Minus the Hail Mary, of course, i'll take the defense we've seen against Seattle and Arizona all day.  

We had Russ and the Seahawks completely shut down until garbage time and Arizona doesn't break 30 if not for the play we shall not name. 

Both games our defense was aggressive and attacking.  We gave up some plays, but also forced turnovers and negative plays.  

There is definitely talent on this defense.. especially in terms of pass rush/pass defense, we have the guys.  

What I don't want to see is the defense we deployed against the Chiefs... I don't think we can beat them if we re-match by conceding we just hope to keep it close and steal a W. 

• Like (+1) 3