Your favorite pre 1980s Bflo Bill

I'm Spartacus

9 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

JD Hill was my favorite player as a kid. I use a Paul Costa username because he’s from the town in which I teach. Sounds like he was a wonderful human being and great Buffalo Bill. Slightly before my time 💪

Robert L smith has that photo of costa making that leaping catch.

9 hours ago, Toledo Bill said:

Bob James, best cornerback ever!

I am with you - Robert James was my favorite. I believe that he was the best CB that the Bills have ever had & one of the best of all time in the entire NFL. As an old timer - he was my favorite. It is such a shame that injury cut his career way too short.    

I was born in '70 and remember the last couple years of his Bills career.  Whatever about OJ's personal life - people tend to forget he ran for 2003 yards in 14 games.  The season was only 14 games long.  Correct me if I'm wrong but Dickerson and whoever else got their 2000 yard seasons in 16 games.   OJ was amazing on the field. 

Does anybody remember the Bills Xmas song!??!

2 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Dwight "Ike" Harrison CB - converted WR from DEN who had 17 picks in 5 years as a Bill.  

And who pulled a gun on Lyle Alzado so he gets points for that.

1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

I am with you - Robert James was my favorite. I believe that he was the best CB that the Bills have ever had & one of the best of all time in the entire NFL. As an old timer - he was my favorite. It is such a shame that injury cut his career way too short.    

He was my favorite along with Jerry Butler. I still remember Lawrence McCutcheon needlessly taking out James knee after an interception in a meaningless exhibition game.

1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

I was at the game he blew his knee out. Heartbreaking injury. He really revolutionized the way cornerbacks played. 

O.J. made me a Bills fan in 1973 and I was hooked for life.  He was bigger than the team at that time.  If you ran into someone who didn't see a game, the questions in order would be:  

1). How many yards did OJ have?

2.) Who won?

However, the Chuck Knox Bills were my favorite Bills teams ever, and just as heartbreaking as the Super Bowl Bills.  My emotional bond to those teams was similar to the '75 Sabres.  Thank You Bills!  I have yet to witness anything like the on field insanity after breaking the Miami curse on opening day in 1980 or later that same year after beating The Rams in OT in the fog. Ferguson to Butler was like watching poetry on a football field.  Those two are easily my favorites from those teams.  I still think about Ferguson's broken ankle in the 1980 playoffs in the same way as "wide right".  Just so unjust of the football gods!

I think a great deal of these answers depend on when we were born...  Obviously!  Thanks St. Doug, you didn't make the list.

***. A special shout out to the guy who did the goal post high wire act against The Giants on Monday Night Football in 1975!

Edited by cwater10
Shout!

At the time, it was OJ Simpson.  Unfortunately he turned into something completely unlikeable.  I guess I could go with Bob Chandler.  He might be more like Cole Beasley than any other receiver in Bills history.  He wasn't big, though bigger than Beasley.  He wasn't fast.  He just knew how to get open and caught everything.

Pre '80 - Chandler definitely.  Was really bummed when they traded him for Villipiano.  

2nd favorite of that era was Looooooooouuuuu Piccone.  Tasker before they had Tasker.  It seemed they waived him every year at cutdowns & then brought him back once they put the guys they wanted to make sure they didn't lose but weren't quite ready onto IR.  Definitely not a star, but busted his arse for them.