Could Darnold end up backing up Allen in Buffalo?

DJB

16 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

He’ll fetch a 2nd I’m sure and I doubt they’d trade him to us nor I doubt Buffalo would give up that much capital for a backup.. gimme the worst backup QB in the NFL.. if Josh goes down, tank for high draft picks..

You never know...Buffalo wasted two 3rd round picks on backup running backs...😉

Edited by JaCrispy

Darnold will want large money from someone.  It won't be from us.  Jake Fromm State Farm was drafted to be a cheap backup and maybe turn into a solid player.  That's all the Bills want to invest in this position, aside from the monster dollars Josh will get.

9 hours ago, DJB said:

Sounds crazy right? 

Well I could see this happen. The Jets look like they will be in the hunt for a new QB at the draft. (Not here to argue whether that is the right decision or not. However teams that don't win a game usually draft a QB). 

While we haven't seen Fromm, Barkley is a replacement level backup. 

Plus everyone knows that Josh and Sam are super tight. 

Is it likely the Jets move Darnold out of the AFCE?

Likely. 

But I don't think its a crazy scenario that Darnold ends up in Buffalo somehow. 

Thoughts Bills fans? 

My thoughts are can't wait for Sunday game you guys have to much time on your hands

In addition to some of the teams already mentioned as potential landing spots for Darnold; Jacksonville, Tampa, or Indianapolis could be desirable for Darnold because of the chance to eventually be a starter again.  I can't picture Brady and Rivers playing effectively beyond the 2021 season.  Jacksonville is such a train wreck that he could start right away.

10 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

He’ll fetch a 2nd I’m sure and I doubt they’d trade him to us nor I doubt Buffalo would give up that much capital for a backup.. gimme the worst backup QB in the NFL.. if Josh goes down, tank for high draft picks..

Doubtful he fetches much. 3 years burned on rookie deal - 1 left.  If the NYJ eat the roster bonus,  you get more value (he'd only have to be paid a little under 1 million if you trade him after camp starts... in a year where caps probably somewhat crunched this is likely the case). 

Assuming his 5th year option is not selected (you don't want it to be - 1 year at top 10 money) - you're getting him as a cheap rental.  Not a potential young guy franchise QB etc.  You just get the tag as leverage if he's good.  Is that worth a 2nd rounder?  

41 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

In addition to some of the teams already mentioned as potential landing spots for Darnold; Jacksonville, Tampa, or Indianapolis could be desirable for Darnold because of the chance to eventually be a starter again.  I can't picture Brady and Rivers playing effectively beyond the 2021 season.  Jacksonville is such a train wreck that he could start right away.

I'd think SF would be choice number 1.  New Orleans would be in that 2nd tier with TB and Indy.  He needs to go somewhere a- that he can at least compete to start and b- that isn't terrible so he might be able to re-establish his value.  

No chance...yet.
He has to flame out a couple of more times.

He has talent and size and teams will give him some more tries. Especially since failing on this ***** show of a Jets team will not be measured as big a failure as if he were with a decent organization. In a few years, if he does not do better, then possible...

As the Op says, it's more likely the Jets ship Darnold outside of the AFC East.  As another poster suggested, I could see Mitch Trubisky ending up in Buffalo before Darnold.  In any case, cap money is going to be tight in the off season, so don't expect Buffalo to spend a lot on a backup QB.

He'll go some place that gives him a legit chance to start.  If he flames out there too, then could see him coming to Buffalo around 2023/24 or so as a back up.  By then Fromms contract would be about up too so they'd need to decide what they want to do with him, but good change he'd also want to leave for chance to start.

Bears, Colts, Steelers, 49ers, Saints (though I think they think their Taysom thing is real), Washington, Patriots, Bucs, Broncos could all potentially be in the market for a new starting QB (not to mention Jets / Jags likely taking Fields / Lawrence).

As much as they would like to, Brady, Big Ben, Rivers, Brees will retire at some point.