Flores: Tua benched, not hurt

YoloinOhio

I think Flores has let the idea that the Dolphins could make the playoffs cloud his judgement in what the plan is long term. If you go to Tua, that's it, you should be willing to risk losing a game. And if you aren't sure about him long term, it's even more reason you leave him in. You have to know what you have.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Well, in this rumored scenario, we're back to point where Flores is still trying to win games despite the owner's mandate to start Tua.

But that still doesn't make sense because he went right up to the podium and said "Tua is still the starter." If you really, really think Fitz is your best chance to win a game you give yourself the time to make that argument in the building.

There is no way that I can get to where this is anything other than a mistake. Why it is a mistake depends on which scenario you play through.... but they all come back to the same end point. It was a mistake.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

But that still doesn't make sense because he went right up to the podium and said "Tua is still the starter." If you really, really think Fitz is your best chance to win a game you give yourself the time to make that argument in the building.

There is no way that I can get to where this is anything other than a mistake. Why it is a mistake depends on which scenario you play through.... but they all come back to the same end point. It was a mistake.

Obviously a mistake...on top of the fact that there seems to be a power struggle. The arrow is pointing down for Flores unless they fix that situation.

I'm sure they've already made all the arguments in the building, so it'll just be this waffling scenario until they draft another QB.

10 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I think Flores has let the idea that the Dolphins could make the playoffs cloud his judgement in what the plan is long term. If you go to Tua, that's it, you should be willing to risk losing a game. And if you aren't sure about him long term, it's even more reason you leave him in. You have to know what you have.

This.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Possible. But still bad timing IMO. If Flores doesn't think Tua is the guy he needs to let that play out so that it is overwhelmingly obvious by the time they are transacting Houston's top 10 pick. Pulling him and throwing Fitz in to put him back in next week is still a mistake in my mind even I start from a position where Flores is unconvinced that Tua is either ready, or indeed, the long term guy. There is no scenario where I can talk myself into believing that was the right decision.

I think its made.  Half of his games passing for under 100 yards.  Fitz in 2 drives matched Tuas production.  I think if Cincy sneaks ahead of Jax for #2 in the draft you trade Texans and yourbown pick for Feilds.  Trade Tua and move along.  

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Tua should never have been made the starter to begin with.

I almost feel sorry for him, but happy to see the Fish screwing up their new QB of the future.

I agree with this point of view and felt that Tua didnt "earn" the starting job. Fitz was playing lights out and the team was competitive early part of the season. Sure gave the Bills a run for their money. Then comes the sudden decision to start him not spurred by any traditional Fitz slump. It is likely that Flores calculated at the beginning of the season that - "okay, Tua didnt earn the starting job in TC so I will start Fitz. Eventually the dude will go back to his throw-a-pick-at-the-wrong-time ways and I will start Tua. It will be great for optics and will make my employer happy.  " But, Fitz didnt slump and Flores was forced to start Tua anyway. Perhaps due to his (mis) calculation or due to undesirable pressure from the owner, the team has worked itself into a right mess. 

I am happy its happening to the Dolphins but I do feel bad for Tua. As I have typed numerous times before, I will always root for a league full of good QBs. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

I think its made.  Half of his games passing for under 100 yards.  Fitz in 2 drives matched Tuas production.  I think if Cincy sneaks ahead of Jax for #2 in the draft you trade Texans and yourbown pick for Feilds.  Trade Tua and move along.  

Even if I start there I can't get to a benching then immediate reinstatement being anything other than an error.

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I agree with this point of view and felt that Tua didnt "earn" the starting job. Fitz was playing lights out and the team was competitive early part of the season. Sure gave the Bills a run for their money. Then comes the sudden decision to start him not spurred by any traditional Fitz slump. It is likely that Flores calculated at the beginning of the season that - "okay, Tua didnt earn the starting job in TC so I will start Fitz. Eventually the dude will go back to his throw-a-pick-at-the-wrong-time ways and I will start Tua. It will be great for optics and will make my employer happy.  " But, Fitz didnt slump and he was forced to start Tua anyway. Perhaps due to his (mis) calculation or due to undesirable pressure from the owner, the team has worked itself into a right mess. 

I am happy its happening to the Dolphins but I do feel bad for Tua. As I have typed numerous times before, I love a league full of good QBs. 

It's all internet rumors as far as I know, but word is it was mounting pressure from ownership to start Tua that caused the decision. We all know how that plays out!

I’m starting to think Flores has seen what he needed to see, and the little guy is not what he may have hoped he was. This is my opinion. 

Every time I watch Tua throw the ball he appears to have to use his entire body to get it down field, even on shorter throws, to me Tua looks limited physically, and it’s not just that he is short, Russell Wilson is short, nuff said there, but Tua is physically little by NFL QB standards, unlike Russell Wilson who is not,  he, Tua appears to lack the natural strength that, say a certain Josh Allen has in abundance.

His small body imo is just not built for the punishment it is going to receive in the NFL, and we all know that every D knows he is little and has already been broken, in a noticeable fashion,  wrist ankle, and especially his  hip. Its just a matter of time for him to be helped off the field. 

15 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Terrible coaching to mess with the kids confidence this early in his career. 

There was speculation that Miami wanted to see if Tua had the goods or not because of Trevor Lawrence. Miami has 2 first round picks and were thought to maybe use them in a package deal to move up and get Lawrence should Tua not be any good, but they needed to find that out first, hence why Flores hand was forced and Fitzy benched. Sounds plausible but who knows.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Yes and this was never a short term move, so why not give him the experience trying to dig himself out of a hole on the road? They were only down 10, were playing a 3 win team and have a good defense ... theoretically it is a great situation for his development and still a decent chance to win the game 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes and this was never a short term move, so why not give him the experience trying to dig himself out of a hole on the road? They were only down 10, were playing a 3 win team and have a good defense ... theoretically it is a great situation for his development and still a decent chance to win the game 

Yea, I don't get it, it's just one game.... one loss. It's almost like Flores thought the season and playoffs depended on the win. What's more important long term, getting into the playoffs this season or Tua's development? I can only guess he's thinking getting to the playoffs helps him as a coach?

6 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Why is it not their pick ? Meaning that can just take a flyer on the Texans pick. Wow I would think they feel the pick post trade is part of their future and really important. 

I meant more so that the quality of the pick being not tied to their teams record makes it so that they can make win now moves for their team and still have access to a top 5 pick. The Texans win today does put a damper on that pick but the Texans still are tied for the 4th worst record in the league.

7 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

jets gonna get their first win next week

If it's Tua vs Sam, I think the Jets take this one. 

Gore came out and said he can't go out like this, in regards to 0-16, I think they'll rally around that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, High Football IQ said:

I won't be surprised if Tua comes out and has a career game against the Jets this week (which still won't say much given the it's the Jets).

This kid was one of most dominant players in college football history and it's very dangerous to write him off after his first bad game.

Either way 5 career starts is nowhere close to a sufficient body of work and most experts (and Bills fans) wrote Josh Allen off after almost 2 full NFL season, including myself.

I totally agree to write off Tua after five games is foolish. The JA comparisons are not the same. JA was panned by 2/3 of the media. Before the hip media had Tua as the 2nd coming of Manning. As far as his college performance. He played on the most talented team in college for four years. With multiple #1 draft choices to throw or hand to.

The current eye test shows some kinks but he needs time and confidence. Clearly he’s not ready for a playoff run. Is the decision based on 1 wanting to win now ?2 in response to Burrow/ Herbert being good now? 3 A directive from the owner?  If they think he’s better than Herbert long term they will stay with him and not draft another #1 qb. That draft was 6 months ago with the same decision makers in place. It’s not like Rosen so I deduct they do not draft a QB and they have stated as much.