Flores: Tua benched, not hurt

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

Bronco's turnovers are the only reason this game was as close as it was ... and that has been the case in all Tua starts. He still has not played a NFL starting QB caliber game. I hope they keep him there.

or 200

Yes he has...

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Benching him was really stupid. He was having a bad game but he wasn't completely throwing it away. Miami really needs a shot at losing in the wildcard round that badly? Let your rookie QB play.

I get it but this isn't a normal situation for the Fins. They're not the Jets sitting winless with nothing to lose. You want to see what you have in Tua moving forward but at the same time you're a game out of the division. You owe it to your team to give them the best chance to win. Tua didn't have it today and wasn't bringing them back. 

5 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I get it but this isn't a normal situation for the Fins. They're not the Jets sitting winless with nothing to lose. You want to see what you have in Tua moving forward but at the same time you're a game out of the division. You owe it to your team to give them the best chance to win. Tua didn't have it today and wasn't bringing them back. 

Okay but it isn't Tom Brady on the bench, it's Fitzpatrick. I love Fitz but he is the last QB you want on the field for a game winning drive. I'm of the belief that once you switch to the rookie QB you stick with them through good and bad. If he's absolutely terrible and you want to switch in between games that's different but playing mediocre in a one score game is not when you make that change. Now every game Tua has to worry he could be pulled at any minute.

5 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

He made the decision that Tua is the guy, for better or worse, when he makes that decision to bench Fitz for him.  

This was a massive misfire from Flores. 

8 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

He didnt have it?  Or the defense and special teams didnt put him in plus terriotory all game?  Fitz is the better Qb at the moment.  This game shows the coaching staff belives it.  Tua looked and smelled like an excectutive decision.  Ownership made the call.  Flores is trying to win football games.  Tua sells jerseys and put Mia on every sports media rundown.

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

Was this, at least a little, like when mcdermott benched Tyrod for peterman and then switched back to Tyrod? I’m obviously not saying Tua is peterman, but you get what I mean. He knew Tyrod wasn’t the future and wanted to see what peterman had in live reps because they would be drafting a QB that year and needed a long term plan... but also the team was good enough that they were playoff contender so he had to balance that. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Was this, at least a little, like when mcdermott benched Tyrod for peterman and then switched back to Tyrod? I’m obviously not saying Tua is peterman, but you get what I mean. He knew Tyrod wasn’t the future and wanted to see what peterman had in live reps because they would be drafting a QB that year and needed a long term plan... but also the team was good enough that they were playoff contender so he had to balance that. 

I think its different cause Tua HAD to be given a chance yo start eventually,  no matter what. Peterman wasnt guaranteed any chance to start and was clearly a coaches decision with no pressure from above.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would agree with that for sure.

Looks like Miami is going back to Tua,  but I definitely see your point.

20 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

He didnt have it?  Or the defense and special teams didnt put him in plus terriotory all game?  Fitz is the better Qb at the moment.  This game shows the coaching staff belives it.  Tua looked and smelled like an excectutive decision.  Ownership made the call.  Flores is trying to win football games.  Tua sells jerseys and put Mia on every sports media rundown.

Agree. That's what I was trying to say. He didn't have it today so they went to Fitz because the team deserves a chance to win.

11 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I think its different cause Tua HAD to be given a chance yo start eventually,  no matter what. Peterman wasnt guaranteed any chance to start and was clearly a coaches decision with no pressure from above.

I agree with this. It’s a different situation than the one Yolo brought up. Peterman (and Tyrod) weren’t first round picks. I dont think screwing with your potential franchise QB’s head is worth a possible comeback win against the broncos. Once you pull the trigger (they may have too early) just roll with it, unless your getting so thoroughly dominated that it’s an injury risk leaving him out there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think anyone would tell you josh is an absolute freak of nature size/athleticism wise and his ceiling was high even back then though I dont think Tua is really in that category as much...not saying he won't be good though I just dont think he'll be great

He was the consensus #1 overall pick before he got injured. Even with a broken hip he was a top 10 pick.

Terrible coaching decision to bench him in a close game. What does it gain???

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Agree. That's what I was trying to say. He didn't have it today so they went to Fitz because the team deserves a chance to win.

Right, but you benched a qb because you dont think he can bring you back is a problem.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He was the consensus #1 overall pick before he got injured. Even with a broken hip he was a top 10 pick.

Terrible coaching decision to bench him in a close game. What does it gain???

If they benched him earlier, very likely a win. Denver did everything but hand that game to Miami and they still wouldn't take it.

Edited by matter2003

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

You know, I watched that game today from begininig to end. I had also watched the Dolphins/Cardinals game a few weeks ago...hadn't seen Tua's other starts.  I texted to a freind of mine, a Dolphins fan. that Tua was indeed the "second coming"...the second coming of Tyrod Taylor! 

He isn't obviously terrible, but he just doesn't do anything that makes me think he anything more than what you see.  He is relatively accurate,  dosn't make stupid decisions...but he also just doesn't seem like a guy who is taking a team to the "next level".  He seems like an NFL level, backup,. lpwer tier starter.  I realize, he has only played 4 games, so that could be a knee-jerk, harsh assesment. 

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

If they benched him earlier, very likely a win. Denver did everything but hand that game to Miami and they still wouldn't take it.

This was my first time seeing Denver all season...they looked better than I was expecting them to.  Lock made some nice plays, and their defense played hard.

Edited by Buftex

I still think it was somewhat injury or precautionary because that last sack from Chubb was right on the surgically repaired HIP. And I could have SWORE I saw Tua grab his hip after the sack. 

now Flores will never mention that Hip in a setting like we took him out because he had some pain in his hip on that last sack. 

Pretty bad coaching move to bench him mid game in his 4th start. Like why did you even start him to begin with? Now that you have, is benching the young man the best idea? At first i thought maybe top brass made him bench fitz. Apparently not

Id say the bills dont have to worry much now.