AFC North vs. NFC East

slipkid

This is kind of a “bye-week-thought/fodder.” I apologize if this has been brought up (I haven’t seen it), and it really doesn’t mean much when playoff seedings shake out, but the  AFC North is a combined 8-1-1 against the NFC East with the loss and tie belonging ti the Bengals. 

Is it fair to suggest that the records of the Steelers, Browns, and Ravens have a lot to do with their putrid NFC schedule? Or is the opposite the case—the NFC East looks bad because they have played excellent teams in the AFC North?

Obviously, both are probably true, but I think it’s much more the former than the latter.

3 minutes ago, slipkid said:

This is kind of a “bye-week-thought/fodder.” I apologize if this has been brought up (I haven’t seen it), and it really doesn’t mean much when playoff seedings shake out, but the  AFC North is a combined 8-1-1 against the NFC East with the loss and tie belonging ti the Bengals. 

Is it fair to suggest that the records of the Steelers, Browns, and Ravens have a lot to do with their putrid NFC schedule? Or is the opposite the case—the NFC East looks bad because they have played excellent teams in the AFC North?

Obviously, both are probably true, but I think it’s much more the former than the latter.

It’s definitely more the former!

I mean, Cleveland at seven and three? They are not that good!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, slipkid said:

The cherry on top is that the AFC North is also playing the AFC South, likely the second weakest division of the 8

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The cherry on top is that the AFC North is also playing the AFC South, likely the second weakest division of the 8

Yep. But then again, the NFC East’s in-conference schedule is the NFC West, maybe the best division top to bottom. 

3 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Cleveland is winning with the Run game and a stellar defense.    QB is being asked to be just a game manager.    They are a good football team

• Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Cleveland is winning with the Run game and a stellar defense.    QB is being asked to be just a game manager.    They are a good football team

Stellar defense? They’ve beaten Philadelphia and Houston with some solid defense and 70MPH wind gusts lol. It’s not like the Eagles and Texans are world beaters. 

Browns were outscored like 77-13 in their games against Pittsburgh and Baltimore. If they were the Bills you wouldn’t be saying what you’re saying. 

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Stellar defense? They’ve beaten Philadelphia and Houston with some solid defense and 70MPH wind gusts lol. It’s not like the Eagles and Texans are world beaters. 

Browns were outscored like 77-13 in their games against Pittsburgh and Baltimore. If they were the Bills you wouldn’t be saying what you’re saying. 

This is right. They do have a stellar defensive end in Garrett, but overall the unit isn’t that great.

14 hours ago, slipkid said:

NFC East?  By far the WORST conference in the league? 

3-6-1 followed by 3-7 and 3-7 and  3-7  

WHY ??? 

SOS? 

Three teams in the DIV have 6 or more wins.  they have already played each other once.

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The remaining  SOS softest to hardest 

12. Browns (.462)

22. Ravens (.529)

27. Steelers (.576)

Nice. Who has Pitt even beaten besides Baltimore? 

I feel like every week they're playing a bad team. Hope to hand them their first L

• Like (+1) 1

After 40 games played the NFC East has 4 wins against non-division teams:

Dallas: 40-39 over the 3-7 Falcons (epic Falcons collapse)

Dallas: 31-28 over the 4-6 Vikings

Philadelphia: 25-20 over the 4-6 49ers

Washington: 20-9 over the 2-7-1 Bengals

As per ESPN's playoff machine, if the teams with the better winning % win the rest of their games, the Eagles will take the division with a 5-10-1 record.

I can't remember a division ever being this bad. 

15 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Agree.  Ive watched all the Browns games but one.  Hunt has been tough running, and Chubb is back now too, but Mayfield has topped out and is playing college ball out there.

They dont suck but not a 7-3 playoff team.

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

NFC East?  By far the WORST conference in the league? 

3-6-1 followed by 3-7 and 3-7 and  3-7  

WHY ??? 

Pederson took some heat for not going for the win in OT against the Bengals because ties almost always cost the team in the end. It turns out ties actually help your chances when everyone in the division has a losing record. Did he know something back in the beginning of September?😀

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Cleveland is taking full advantage of 3 horrible Lake Erie weather home games.  The Browns have a good running game and the Raiders, Texans and Eagles could not adjust in that rain and wind there.

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Cleveland is taking full advantage of 3 horrible Lake Erie weather home games.  The Browns have a good running game and the Raiders, Texans and Eagles could not adjust in that rain and wind there.

The Iggles completely sold out to stop the run against the Browns.  I expect that to be the defensive game plan against them from here on out.  It’ll be interesting to see how the perform against that. 

In general I think the Browns are some where between where the 2018 and 2019 Bills teams were in development.  I’d have them close to the 2019 Bills if not for Mayfield’s regression.  And coincidentally if the playoffs started today the Bills would be hosting the Browns. 

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The remaining  SOS softest to hardest 

12. Browns (.462)

22. Ravens (.529)

27. Steelers (.576)

Every Browns game is vs. NFC East,  Bengals, Jags, Texans, Jets, etc..  At the end of the day they have 5 hard games this season.. (Steelers x2, Ravens x2, Colts).

I like what they've done in Cleveland and they are taking advantage of the schedule.  

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Nice. Who has Pitt even beaten besides Baltimore? 

I feel like every week they're playing a bad team. Hope to hand them their first L

I've been a big voice on the "pittsburghs schedule sucks" but they have beaten the 7-3 browns, 7-3 titans as well..... so while i dont believe they are as good as their record indicates they have still handled the good teams put in front of them. 

.... theres no way in h*** they are 10-0 with a schedule like ours though. 

• Like (+1) 1