Zach Wilson is the best QB prospect in 2021 draft class

bills6969

On 11/22/2020 at 8:36 AM, bills6969 said:

This kid has total package for QB:  big arm, athletic, cocky. Reminds a little of Mahomes.  I think he’s going to be the next super star QB in the league.  I really, really, REALLY hope the Pats don’t snag him.

Chris Simms agrees with you.  There was a very long thread on this a couple weeks ago...and he’ll be gone way before the Pats pick.

Edited by mannc

On 11/22/2020 at 10:36 AM, bills6969 said:

This kid has total package for QB:  big arm, athletic, cocky. Reminds a little of Mahomes.  I think he’s going to be the next super star QB in the league.  I really, really, REALLY hope the Pats don’t snag him.

How do you think that he would have fared against an all SEC schedule, and playoff games against Notre Dame and Ohio State?

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/21/2021 at 6:40 PM, Bill from NYC said:

How do you thunk that he would have fared against an all SEC schedule, and playoff games against Notre Dame and Ohio State?

Probably would’ve won the heisman.  Every QB looks good behind those olines and all the weapons they have. 

15 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I seriously doubt it. As I said, Alabama played against the best teams in college football, not second rate opponents.

Yes,  but at Alabama you have the best players playing around you inflating your value.  He was not playing with P5 level players at BYU.

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

Yes,  but at Alabama you have the best players playing around you inflating your value.  He was not playing with P5 level players at BYU. 

If you think that Mac isn't going to be a star player in the NFL, you are not alone, although Kiper has him going at #15 to NE in his mock. 

Coming into this season, I didn't even think that he would start at Alabama. He had to compete for his job and beat out perhaps the top ranked freshman QB in the country. He worked hard, listened to his great coaching staff, set records, finished high in the Heisman voting, and won a National Championship.

I will never doubt him again.

Jmo.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

If you think that Mac isn't going to be a star player in the NFL, you are not alone, although Kiper has him going at #15 to NE in his mock. 

Coming into this season, I didn't even think that he would start at Alabama. He had to compete for his job and beat out perhaps the top ranked freshman QB in the country. He worked hard, listened to his great coaching staff, set records, finished high in the Heisman voting, and won a National Championship.

I will never doubt him again.

Jmo.

The one area where he has excelled is his ability is to read defenses. As the season advanced his play list expanded because he was able to absorb the expanding play book. Mac is a super bright guy. However, high aptitude and academic talent doesn't always translate to the football field. But with him it did. The biggest issue and unknown for high ranking qb prospects have little to do with their physical talents. It usually relates to their ability to quickly process the extraordinary amount of information at game time speed. In that regard he ranks very high. When it comes to the qb position there are no guarantees that a college prospect can make the transition to the pro game. Without a doubt in that intellectual realm for that position he has what it takes. I have a strong suspicion that he is a player that Belichick is keenly interested in.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/21/2021 at 4:40 PM, Bill from NYC said:

How do you thunk that he would have fared against an all SEC schedule, and playoff games against Notre Dame and Ohio State?

Assuming Wilson was playing behind Alabama's offensive line, throwing the ball to Waddle and Smith and handing the ball off to Harris, he would have been terrific.  I think Mac Jones is really good too, by the way.   

Wilson is QB4 for me. Fields and Lance are Outstanding prospects on and off the field. They both have ridiculous physical makeup compared to Wilson as well.

I don’t know if NYJ are drafting a QB. It would be a bit crazy not to, but if someone threw a kings ransom for #2 they might roll with Darnold. Depending on the ransom it might be hard to blame them.

I hope fields doesn’t go to NYJ.i have a feeling if NY takes Wilson there will be a line trying to trade to #3 to get Justin. Hoping he can get a team with a solid coach and they can build around him. Carolina or SF would be amazing but there is a possibility that Miami takes him and looks to deal Tua ...

21 hours ago, mannc said:

Assuming Wilson was playing behind Alabama's offensive line, throwing the ball to Waddle and Smith and handing the ball off to Harris, he would have been terrific.  I think Mac Jones is really good too, by the way.   

Can’t speak to the weapons at BYU, but you have to watch BYU’s OL. It’s amazing. 

Mac Jones feels destined to be a patriot. 

On 3/24/2021 at 11:48 AM, JohnC said:

The one area where he has excelled is his ability is to read defenses. As the season advanced his play list expanded because he was able to absorb the expanding play book. Mac is a super bright guy. However, high aptitude and academic talent doesn't always translate to the football field. But with him it did. The biggest issue and unknown for high ranking qb prospects have little to do with their physical talents. It usually relates to their ability to quickly process the extraordinary amount of information at game time speed. In that regard he ranks very high. When it comes to the qb position there are no guarantees that a college prospect can make the transition to the pro game. Without a doubt in that intellectual realm for that position he has what it takes. I have a strong suspicion that he is a player that Belichick is keenly interested in.  

So do I.

Did you ever see the HBO film "Belichick and Saban?" The 2 of them have a very strong relationship for approx. 40 years. Coincidently, they both happen to be Croation. Belichick states that he values Saban's opinion more than anyone in football. Saban has certainly already talked to him about Mac. 

Before the season (and early into it), I heard Saban say several times that it was important for Mac to "stay within himself." Looking back, I think that this was because 2020 was his first chance to be the starting qb. Davonta Smith (who if you recall I wanted the Bills to draft last season before he decided to remain in school) gets credit for much of Mac's sucess, but Mac did great things with an injured Waddle (who is a superstar), and again, little experience. 

I predict big things for Mac. Do I think he is a better prospect than Trevor? No. I think that Lawrence is the best prospect since Elway. I'm not even joking. I also think that Mac would benefit greatly from some time on the bench.

Jmo.

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

So do I.

Did you ever see the HBO film "Belichick and Saban?" The 2 of them have a very strong relationship for approx. 40 years. Coincidently, they both happen to be Croation. Belichick states that he values Saban's opinion more than anyone in football. Saban has certainly already talked to him about Mac. 

Before the season (and early into it), I heard Saban say several times that it was important for Mac to "stay within himself." Looking back, I think that this was because 2020 was his first chance to be the starting qb. Davonta Smith (who if you recall I wanted the Bills to draft last season before he decided to remain in school) gets credit for much of Mac's sucess, but Mac did great things with an injured Waddle (who is a superstar), and again, little experience. 

I predict big things for Mac. Do I think he is a better prospect than Trevor? No. I think that Lawrence is the best prospect since Elway. I'm not even joking. I also think that Mac would benefit greatly from some time on the bench.

Jmo.

Excellent post. You are the go to person for Alabama football. That is not the because you are primarily a Bama homer (which you are) but because you are the most knowledgeable person about the Crimson program and players. You more than anyone who has an acknowledged affinity toward a school is able to differentiate between favoring a program and players and still being able to objectively evaluate a the pro prospects of those players. Not everyone (including me) is able to make that separation. For that I salute you.

For a long time I was not very enamored with Saban. I was tired of his curmudgeon act and his angry behavior on the sidelines. I wrongly considered him so "old school" that he wouldn't adjust to the younger new school coaching world. I turned out to be not only wrong but grotesquely wrong. While he still puts great stock in his defense and special teams he has evolved on the offensive side of the ball. He has in recent history brought in a lot of offensive coaches who he had no previous association with him and allowed them to apply their more open and creative philosophies. As he has gotten older he has gotten more receptive to different ideas. He's an older coach who is still willing to learn. I find that very admirable and unusual. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.