McDermott, Beane & the Pegula's

LB48

There has been a lot of discussion on this Board (and I love this Board) about a contract extension for GM Beane.  McDermott was hired first by the Pegula's.  It was an odd situation in the NFL when a HC is hired before his supposed boss.  He also got  a long-term extension beyond 2020.

• "Beane's actual power is still in question given his hand selection by coach Sean McDermott, who was hired long before Beane. The Buffalo News suggests McDermott "will be the one that makes the final call" if need be. Beane has a strong background as a personnel man, but it's become clear he won't have total control in Buffalo."

May 10, 2017, 5:22 PM ET

I have a feeling Coach McD runs the show. He tells the GM the players he wants to add or cut from the team.  Beane goes after them in Free Agency and in the draft.  He handles the signing details. Some of the salaries for F/A's has been out of line.  Mitch Morse and Trent Murphy still getting $7 mil/season as examples.  

I don't know if Beane will get a big contract.  He might want to go back to Carolina where their current GM is under fire. He was the GM several years ago, was fired, and then re-hired in the same position by the Panthers. Beane worked under him.

It's all a  big MYSTERY!   ANY COMMENTS??

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That rapoport tweet is 3 years old

And no beane isn't going back to Carolina

Of course the tweet is 3 years old - - that's when Beane came on board.  He might like a position of President & GM in Carolina?

37 minutes ago, LB48 said:

There has been a lot of discussion on this Board (and I love this Board) about a contract extension for GM Beane.  McDermott was hired first by the Pegula's.  It was an odd situation in the NFL when a HC is hired before his supposed boss.  He also got  a long-term extension beyond 2020.

• "Beane's actual power is still in question given his hand selection by coach Sean McDermott, who was hired long before Beane. The Buffalo News suggests McDermott "will be the one that makes the final call" if need be. Beane has a strong background as a personnel man, but it's become clear he won't have total control in Buffalo."

I have a feeling Coach McD runs the show. He tells the GM the players he wants to add or cut from the team.  Beane goes after them in Free Agency and in the draft.  He handles the signing details. Some of the salaries for F/A's has been out of line.  Mitch Morse and Trent Murphy still getting $7 mil/season as examples.  

I don't know if Beane will get a big contract.  He might want to go back to Carolina where their current GM is under fire. He was the GM several years ago, was fired, and then re-hired in the same position by the Panthers. Beane worked under him.

I mean, you never know what happens behind closed doors but I’d be surprised if he didn’t get extended.

They seem like their lock and step as well as friends. And, things are going well with the franchise.

My two cents is worth just that though.

Edited by BillsFan619

1 minute ago, BillsFan619 said:

I mean, you never know what happens behind closed doors but I’d be surprised if he didn’t get extended.

They seem like their lock and step as well as good friends.

My two cents is worth just that though.

Your 2 cents is as good as mine.  I'd like to see things stay the same with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

Beane isn't McDemott's boss. Or vice versa. They both report to the Pegulas.

And they both seem happy with the current arrangement. I don't see any point in speculating about Beane wanting to leave when there is nothing to suggest that is in the works.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LB48 said:

Beane likely signed an extension already. It'll likely be announced after the season. 

I think McDermott has more power than Beane. I think he would have power of veto on a move if he wanted to exercise it but I very much doubt he ever does because I believe he trusts Beane completely. 

Beane isn't going anywhere any time soon IMO. However, I do think there is more room to question the job he has done than the job McDermott has done. I don't think their player acquisition has been "bad" but I don't think it has been "great" either. Aside from finding a Quarterback - which counts for a lot - it has been pretty average. If we didn't have a totally aligned combination I would move on from the GM before I'd move on from the coach put it that way. But these two come as a pair.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1