Bills' defense by the numbers 2019 vs 2020

Inigo Montoya

The point is valid, while I appreciate the stats, the eyeball test pretty much tells you all you need to know. This defense is not as good as is was the last few years. I don' think it is any one thing. As has been pointed out: (1) our personnel losses were bigger than people gave credit for, (2) better competition, (3) injuries, (4) no real off-season, and I would add (5) the defensive coaching has been suspect at times. . . . We must lead the universe in giving up third and long first down plays.

BUT, having said all that, I think there is something else to consider, defensive play has been bad (poor) league wide. There are no dominant D's this year. I have a theory as to why -- maybe some of you stat guys can debunk it or prove it -- there seems to be far less offensive holding penalties. They are letting them play. The league shift towards offense has been going on for a while, but this year it seems to have really taken flight. I believe it comes down to the emphasis (or, non-emphasis) of the rules has greatly favored the offensive side of the ball, especially the non-holding calls. ... Like I said, just a theory.

Nonetheless, even though a bunch of points were scored in the last two games, I think the Bills D is coming around. That, and the drop in the level of QB play the Bills will see in the next 6 games, has me feeling good about the end of the season run for this defense.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

SoI wouldn't be surprised if they move on from Harrison Philips next year.  And even though he was enormous man, Jordan Phillips wasn't that stout of a run defender.  We miss his sacks and pressures from the DT spot though.

What's surprising to me from this thread is how much a supposed finesse defense like Frazier/McD's misses a very stout, traditional DT and a hybrid DE/LB.  

It is pretty obvious that the D line players that were let go, starters and rotational/backup guys, and Star opting out, were better at their jobs than those that they were replaced with.

It seems to not have been a well thought out set of decisions on what D line players to retain, the results of those decisions reflects poor evaluations skills by the HC and his coordinators. The end results speak for themselves. 

Don’t break up a  D line unit that is doing well,  and end up spend ing an equal amount or more money on their replacements that then perform at a lesser level. Here’s to hoping this turns into a learning opportunity for our decision makers...

Go Bills!!!

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Maybe the obsession of signing ex Carolina Panthers can finally end...

It does appear that it should, doesn’t it... in hind sight it is starting to appear to have been a somewhat lazy way to cover up for not evaluating guys they are unfamiliar with.

I’m not sayin the HC isn’t doing an overall acceptable job, he is. but he has let past preferences keep him from making what would be better decisions for his present circumstances. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

The problem with this Defense is we lack big Defensive tackles up front that cause more double teams.  Our Defensive tackles get pushed off the ball to much and it is not Ed Oliver, it is usually the guy next to him that teams go after, even with Star, playing last year he would wear down and teams would go after him. Bills need to draft a strong low to the ground defensive tackle that can spell Starr one who takes double teams and and gets opposing teams more 3rd and long then what is happening now which we play to many third and short.  And the Bills need to draft more linebackers we have two linebackers that is it and if you look Matt Milano, when he was in college he was more of a safety then linebacker, Buffalo needs a more physical linebackers.