Klein & Villapiano Comparisons

LB48

Phil came to the Bills after a great career with the Raiders at age 31. He was a 4-time All Pro and helped the Raiders win a Super Bowl.  In Buffalo he was past his prime.  He wasn't a pass rusher and had NO SACKS in his 13 year NFL career.   Phil was an emotional & tough play leader on defense.  When he tackled someone he nailed them straight up.

AJ came to the Bills at age 29.  He is also past his prime. He's never been voted to a Pro-Bowl.  Over his 8 years in the NFL he has 14 sacks with 3.5 of them with the Bills in 2020.  He yells instructions on defense and when he tackles it's a tough,  hard hit.  Toughness and and leadership are missing on the 2020 Bills defense.  AJ  can help with that!

AJ Klein.jpg

Phil V.jpg

And..., 

Go Bills!!!

2 minutes ago, LB48 said:

I'm sorry I upset you.  I thought it was a good comparison.  Isn't it better than wondering what Bills could date your daughter or the Bills uniform for the next game?  At least it makes you THINK.

No, it really doesn't.  

"Two players exist.  They are sort of almost similar in some ways, different in others."  You don't NEED to fill the news void of the bye week with this random fluff.

4 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

No, it really doesn't.  

"Two players exist.  They are sort of almost similar in some ways, different in others."  You don't NEED to fill the news void of the bye week with this random fluff.

Somebody has to fill the void!   You seem like a good guy!

14 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

Hey, at least it's talking about football, and not talking about hypothetical trades for Josh Allen or discussing semantic issues around Josh Allen's development.

1 hour ago, LB48 said:

AJ came to the Bills at age 29.  He is also past his prime. He's never been voted to a Pro-Bowl.  Over his 8 years in the NFL he has 14 sacks with 3.5 of them with the Bills in 2020.  He yells instructions on defense and when he tackles it's a tough,  hard hit.  Toughness and and leadership are missing on the 2020 Bills defense.  AJ  can help with that!

I wonder if you would say more about this point, because it should be Edwards job.   Where/when/what, do you feel Klein has taken on the "QB of the defense" role or just yelling out random stuff (which wouldn't be consistent with "yelling instructions")

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hey, at least it's talking about football, and not talking about hypothetical trades for Josh Allen.

I realize that's a low bar, but...

I wonder if you would say more about this point, because it should be Edwards job

Edmunds is a great athlete but not necessarily a leader.  He plays 'light'.  I really haven't seen him move players before the snap on defense.  I do see Klein trying to do that!

Just now, LB48 said:

Edmunds is a great athlete but not necessarily a leader.  He plays 'light'.  I really haven't seen him move players before the snap on defense.  I do see Klein trying to do that!

Edmunds moves players before the snap all the time.  It's part of his role as the MLB.  He has the helmet with the radio in it and he makes the defensive calls.  There are a couple pieces breaking down the Bills D and where it struggled just this season where you can hear Edmunds yelling "back, back".  I'll see if I can find one or two.

Perhaps you could indicate the games and plays where you've seen Klein filling this role?  It would be interesting because it would indicate a clear change in roles.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Edmunds moves players before the snap all the time.  It's part of his role as the MLB.  He has the helmet with the radio in it and he makes the defensive calls.  There are a couple pieces breaking down the Bills D and where it struggled just this season where you can hear Edmunds yelling "back, back".  I'll see if I can find one or two.

Perhaps you could indicate the games and plays where you've seen Klein filling this role?  It would be interesting because it would indicate a clear change in roles.

I don't have specific plays for that.  I sense his veteran status allows him to help with defensive alignments.  I don't think Edmunds does anything more than listen to the radio in his helmet and repeat what he hears.  He had the LOWEST Wonderlic score at LB in his draft class.  I don't see leadership.

Just now, LB48 said:

I don't have specific plays for that.  I sense his veteran status allows him to help with defensive alignments.  I don't think Edmunds does anything more than listen to the radio in his helmet and repeat what he hears.  He had the LOWEST Wonderlic score at LB in his draft class.  I don't see leadership.

Edmunds makes defensive adjustments in response to motion etc.  It would be highly confusing to have two players doing that.

Seems like something you're just saying

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Edmunds makes defensive adjustments in response to motion etc.  It would be highly confusing to have two players doing that.

Seems like something you're just saying

Again - if all he does is make adjustments from the radio in his helmet right before the snap it IS confusing.  He's not a true MLB making calls.  I've never seen the DB's or DL shift at all at his command.  I don't wan to argue with you - this is just what I see.  We're both Bills fans.  Me for a long-long time.

3 hours ago, LB48 said:

Again - if all he does is make adjustments from the radio in his helmet right before the snap it IS confusing.  He's not a true MLB making calls.  I've never seen the DB's or DL shift at all at his command.  I don't wan to argue with you - this is just what I see.  We're both Bills fans.  Me for a long-long time.

Um, just like a QB helmet, the MLB helmet cuts off before the snap.

A lot of defensive adjustments in response to presnap motion take place after that.  If you haven't seen that shift, you maybe need to watch more.  I'll see if I can find some of the articles analyzing this.

I'm not trying to denigrate Klein - he had a much much better game against Seattle and looked better against AZ as well, because the Bills have started using him in a way that's more consistent with his talents than having him drop in coverage and do all the stuff Milano would do.  But there's really no reason to disparage Edmunds in this - he's still our MLB, he's still the "QB of the defense", and he also played much much better against NE, Seattle, and AZ.

• Like (+1) 1