Saints to start Taysom Hill over Jameis Winston

YoloinOhio

On 11/23/2020 at 7:35 AM, MJS said:

Hill threw it a lot in college. He has been used as a gadget player in the NFL. But I don't see why some think he can't throw it. I thought he threw the ball pretty well, minus a few bad decisions.

Before this game he had barely thrown it at all in the NFL. I don't see why he is such a polarizing player. Some people seem to hate him for no reason.

My only issue with him is he is already 30 years old. He isn't the long term answer once Brees retires. If he was 25 it would look like a real possibility.

Chris Simms said as far back as last season that he thinks Hill is being groomed as their next QB. He said if it didn't work out that it wouldn't hurt the Saints so badly since he can be a gadget guy as a fallback.

But that he thought that Payton was confident he could put together an offense that Taysom could win in.

Made sense to me.

The age is indeed a drawback but perhaps not a deathstroke.

Edited by Thurman#1

12 hours ago, Process said:

Haha

Did you watch the game? They played the falcons. The falcons scored 9 points. 

They didn't win because of taysom hill lmao. He looked aa expected, not an NFL qb. 

Wait until he plays a real team . Lucky for the saints, that won't happen for a while, they play the broncos and falcons again the next two weeks. 

It's not Hill's problem the Falcons scored nine. His own offense scored 24 in his first game as a starter. Respectable. A decent start, though certainly he still has a lot to prove.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Process said:

Haha

Did you watch the game? They played the falcons. The falcons scored 9 points. 

They didn't win because of taysom hill lmao. He looked aa expected, not an NFL qb. 

Wait until he plays a real team . Lucky for the saints, that won't happen for a while, they play the broncos and falcons again the next two weeks. 

I watched him. I though he did pretty well. He had some bad plays to be sure, but also some really good ones. He had a few passes that were right on the money that had me thinking he could play QB in this league.

It was his first time playing QB since college, pretty much. I'm sure there is some rust there throwing the ball, even.

I really don't understand the hate. But then again, I didn't with with Josh Allen either. Some people just choose a hill to die on, I suppose.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He played alright but he’s not a starting nfl qb over the course of the season.  The Saints are a great team. Nice gimmick player though.

and that TE BS cost me a a fantasy game!!!

What a load.....  Did nothing wrong (I guess he did fumble) and went up and down the field.  

Looking for negatives.....  Geez reminds me of how people judged a certain Josh Allen the first two years.

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

What a load.....  Did nothing wrong (I guess he did fumble) and went up and down the field.  

Looking for negatives.....  Geez reminds me of how people judged a certain Josh Allen the first two years.

also reminds me what a certain someone here does with the coaching staff when he doesn't get what he wants.

33 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

33 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The Falcons are the 2nd worst pass defense in the nfl. His longest pass looked like a punt.  

and I’ve been tough on Allen but he was a much better prospect.  He has a cannon and speed. Hill is like a rb playing qb. Oh and he’s like Brady’s age. 

payton is a great coach and props for getting him ready to play.  But he would be terrible if he has to start a full season.  He’s like a much, much worse version of Lamar. 

and I had the stats wrong. The Falcons give up 406 yards per game and 300 yards passing.  They are an awful defense. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97

45 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Falcons are the 2nd worst pass defense in the nfl. His longest pass looked like a punt.  

and I’ve been tough on Allen but he was a much better prospect.  He has a cannon and speed. Hill is like a rb playing qb. Oh and he’s like Brady’s age. 

payton is a great coach and props for getting him ready to play.  But he would be terrible if he has to start a full season.  He’s like a much, much worse version of Lamar. 

and I had the stats wrong. The Falcons give up 406 yards per game and 300 yards passing.  They are an awful defense. 

We know your defense of Lamar.....  Hill did not even attempt a pass in the 4th quarter, thus was well on his way to 300 through 3.  Talk about looking for excuses.  I don't know how good he is (or can be), but for one game he was better then good.....  Atl has played a very tough schedule and some of the best QB's in the NFL.....  

53 minutes ago, teef said:

also reminds me what a certain someone here does with the coaching staff when he doesn't get what he wants.

What does coaching have to do with it.....  Oh yea, if the Bills had Payton, their offense and Allen would be better (and much better in 2018 & 2019 too).....  

Yes in McD we trust.....🤩 

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's not Hill's problem the Falcons scored nine. His own offense scored 24 in his first game as a starter. Respectable. A decent start, though certainly he still has a lot to prove.

it’s not his fault but certainly to his advantage as it takes a great deal of pressure off

52 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

yup. He did everything you’d ask of a backup and got a break in his biggest play. 

It’s one of those process vs results things. His stat line was solid, but there were red flags consistent with his resume on display. I wouldn’t suddenly think Barkley is a starter if he beats the jets with a nice stat line. 

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

What does coaching have to do with it.....  Oh yea, if the Bills had Payton, their offense and Allen would be better (and much better in 2018 & 2019 too).....  

Yes in McD we trust.....🤩 

you don't know that at all.   for some reason you just don't want to admit that allen needed to get better for this offense to click.  

9 minutes ago, teef said:

you don't know that at all.   for some reason you just don't want to admit that allen needed to get better for this offense to click.  

Called an opinion.  Seeing what Payton accomplished with Hill in his first start further tells me that McD's philosophy held him back.  Also see Justin Herbert....

Again jmho.....

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Called an opinion.  Seeing what Payton accomplished with Hill in his first start further tells me that McD's philosophy held him back.  Also see Justin Herbert....

Again jmho.....

fair enough.  i just think allen had a different learning curve than others for a number of reasons.  we all knew his success wouldn't likely be immediate.  

10 minutes ago, teef said:

fair enough.  i just think allen had a different learning curve than others for a number of reasons.  we all knew his success wouldn't likely be immediate.  

saying that hill had a good game isn’t fair enough in that comparison. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, teef said:

Not with the line & receivers they started him with.  I just hated the conservative play calling through McD's first three seasons, and we know his eye for offensive talent (i.e. Peterman)......😉😜

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NoSaint said:

it’s not his fault but certainly to his advantage as it takes a great deal of pressure off

Well, yeah, but that's kind of what defenses are supposed to do. Using the defense to attack Taysom Hill is ridiculous.

If you want to attack him, do it for his performance, not because some other group of guys is doing their job well. Did you attack Josh Allen last year when the defense played well? People did, and it made no more sense then.

Hill played really well. The offense scored 24 points. There should be mostly good things to say about that game. Sure, as I said, he's still got a huge amount to prove. But so far so very good.

6 hours ago, teef said:

Yup. Precisely. But it's like talking ... well, this isn't much of a metaphor but it's like talking to someone who doesn't get it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

That screen was text book on the late decision making. Those red flags will likely continue. 

he is fun to watch against a struggling team and backed by that defense... but boy would it go south in a shootout. 

On 11/24/2020 at 5:37 PM, Thurman#1 said:

Well, yeah, but that's kind of what defenses are supposed to do. Using the defense to attack Taysom Hill is ridiculous.

If you want to attack him, do it for his performance, not because some other group of guys is doing their job well. Did you attack Josh Allen last year when the defense played well? People did, and it made no more sense then.

If that’s an attack, pillow fights must be terrifying.

saying that he wasn’t asked to do a lot and it was low pressure isn’t an attack. It’s just context.