Saints to start Taysom Hill over Jameis Winston

YoloinOhio

Just now, Simon said:

I don't watch them often enough to really know, but from what I have seen out of that franchise recently I have a really hard time trusting that defense if it's not playing with a lead.

they run hot/cold. When on they can be elite. Averaging like 15 points allowed since start of October.

even last year - teddy b got a lot of credit but they beat Dallas without scoring a touchdown during that stretch. 

24 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

Hill should have had a TD pass a few minutes ago but Michael Thomas dropped a well thrown ball that hit him in the hands. He’s had some good throws and terrible ones today, but that was a brutal drop by Thomas.

the drop was ugly but they happen to all qbs. 

so far it’s about the game I expected. He just happened to hit the wild deep throw so it looks a bit better on paper. But that was My big qualifier- he heaves erratic deep balls that sometimes happen to be caught because it’s hard to defend a deep ball 25 yards off target but with just enough loft for a receiver to see and react to. That Minnesota playoff game had one too.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He's no Peterman.

Obviously like many on TSW, people have made their minds up about him and want to see him fail.

Looks like an NFL QB to me.  

he’s consistently been standing back there slow on the reads, and his biggest pass might be the worst throw of the day by any nfl qb. 

hes grinding out a Tebow-esque game so far. But Tebow won quite a few playing safe with a good defense. And that works for a month here.

That TD throw was awful too. 

the dude heaves some balls downfield though 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

he’s consistently been standing back there slow on the reads, and his biggest pass might be the worst throw of the day by any nfl qb. 

hes grinding out a Tebow-esque game so far. But Tebow won quite a few playing safe with a good defense. And that works for a month here.

You don't like him.... I get it....  Again were you a Peterman fan?  First game 2 TD's, 77% completion %, 225 yards to date, one dropped TD, another bomb TD called back by penalty.

What more do you want?

46 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

You don't like him.... I get it....  Again were you a Peterman fan?  First game 2 TD's, 77% completion %, 225 yards to date, one dropped TD, another bomb TD called back by penalty.

What more do you want?

as a saints season ticket holder I’m more invested in his success than anyone here. And like having the guy on the team. 

he played a good game from a backup qb.

but that TD called back was very much underthrown.... and if giving him credit for plays called back can I take off credit for that deep ball where the punter could’ve gotten it there more accurately? Late and behind are common issues he’s had and those were still on display today.

wasnt a peterman fan - didn’t think he had the arm no matter what college or pre-season stats were or what a good guy he is 

enjoyed fitz- didn’t think he or that season with the fast start was sustainable because of skill concerns 

like taysom a lot as a player, but not as a franchise qb. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

Still not impressed.  But I'll give him the rest of the season and gladly eat crow if I turn out to be wrong. 

put another way, if the season ended today, and he was a free agent- no one would be handing him a starting job but all 32 clubs would be glad to have the guy on their roster in some role. 

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

Still not impressed.  But I'll give him the rest of the season and gladly eat crow if I turn out to be wrong. 

I'm guessing he gets 2 more games, including another one against that generous Atlanta D.  Credit the offensive gameplan for hiding his passing limitations, but that's the type of player than when you "make him be a QB" will fall apart real quick.

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

put another way, if the season ended today, and he was a free agent- no one would be handing him a starting job but all 32 clubs would be glad to have the guy on their roster in some role. 

For sure.  But for what salary is the question?  At $16M, like he'll make next year, no way.

18 minutes ago, QCity said:

I'm guessing he gets 2 more games, including another one against that generous Atlanta D.  Credit the offensive gameplan for hiding his passing limitations, but that's the type of player than when you "make him be a QB" will fall apart real quick.

Yup.  And credit the NO defense for holding Atlanta to just 9 points.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

For sure.  But for what salary is the question?  At $16M, like he'll make next year, no way.

Yup.  And credit the NO defense for holding Atlanta to just 9 points.

the salary and role are always where these get dicey. People act like I’m a hater and then say they’d give him like $5m plus incentives to essentially be what he’s been in Nola prior to this.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I think he has a better arm than tebow but I agree that this will work for a month with NO playing good defense and safe offense. But I think you'll see teams play more zone against him soon. He doesn't recognize where zone defenders are all the time.

Hill threw it a lot in college. He has been used as a gadget player in the NFL. But I don't see why some think he can't throw it. I thought he threw the ball pretty well, minus a few bad decisions.

Before this game he had barely thrown it at all in the NFL. I don't see why he is such a polarizing player. Some people seem to hate him for no reason.

My only issue with him is he is already 30 years old. He isn't the long term answer once Brees retires. If he was 25 it would look like a real possibility.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Hill threw it a lot in college. He has been used as a gadget player in the NFL. But I don't see why some think he can't throw it. I thought he threw the ball pretty well, minus a few bad decisions.

Before this game he had barely thrown it at all in the NFL. I don't see why he is such a polarizing player. Some people seem to hate him for no reason.

My only issue with him is he is already 30 years old. He isn't the long term answer once Brees retires. If he was 25 it would look like a real possibility.

You don't necessarily have to hate a player to think he doesn't have what it takes to play in the NFL.  Hill isn't in the AFC, much less AFC East, and he doesn't get into trouble or make controversial statements, so there's no reason to hate him.

• Like (+1) 1