Saints to start Taysom Hill over Jameis Winston

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My mind still boggles.

Why does anyone think a 30 year old man who has thrown 18 passes with 56% completion in his 4 year NFL career "has a chance" to be the successor to a QB who has played at the highest level for 15 years with multiple probowl appearances, 1st team all-pro, Superbowl win, 2 additional conference champion appearances, 8 playoff appearances.

No offense to Taysom Hill, but to date, he hasn't shown any indication he's fit to hold Brees cleats or jock, much less succeed him.  And the clock is against him - he's no "spring chicken".

Now that said, the Saints run game is arguably the best aspect of their offense currently, and their D is good.  I can see them wanting to play ball-control, grind-it-out offense with a guy who can pass just enough to keep the opponent off them. 

But Atlanta actually has a pretty good run D based on yards given up, and almost bottom of the league for passing yards.  Choosing to grind it out against them, might be like mounting a run-heavy defense against the SeaSnakes and while going pass-happy against NE.

Because the head coach really likes him.  

On 11/20/2020 at 1:15 PM, JohnNord said:

I’ll never get the hatred that some fans and the media have for Hill.  Everyone he touches the ball, people want to point how much he sucks.  He hasn’t exactly blown me away his play either but I can accept that he is what he is - a gadget player.  I just don’t feel he should be as polarizing as he currently has been

How many gadget players are given a 2 year, $21M contract with $17.4M guaranteed?  Or have their teams HC talking about him as the QB successor to a HOF guy?

To whom much is given, Much is expected.

36 minutes ago, stuvian said:

how old was Steve Young when he took over in SF?

do you think Sean Payton will make an ass of himself on national tv? I don't

Young really became the full time guy in 1991 when Montana got hurt.

Young was 30 when he got the job full time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

how old was Steve Young when he took over in SF?

He was 30, but the analogy breaks down right there.  Young had started 3 games per season his first 3 seasons with SFO.  Two of those 3 years, he had passr ratings of 120.  In that 3rd season, at age 28, he had a 69.6% completion % that was remarkable for 1989, and threw for 1001 yds and 8 TDs - again, remarkable for a 3 game stretch in that era.

So by the time Young was 30, we all had a pretty durn good idea he could get it done as a QB.

do you think Sean Payton will make an ass of himself on national tv? I don't

I don't think Sean Payton intends to make an ass of himself on national TV.  Do you think McDermott intended to make an ass of himself on national TV starting Peterman?

2 minutes ago, stuvian said:

so 30 isn't that old really

For a guy who has never, not once, shown he can play a single game in the NFL? 

Yeah, it is.  And Steve Young really doesn't prove to the contrary (see above)

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But Atlanta actually has a pretty good run D based on yards given up, and almost bottom of the league for passing yards.  Choosing to grind it out against them, might be like mounting a run-heavy defense against the SeaSnakes and while going pass-happy against NE.

Maybe Coach McD should call Sean and give some friendly advice ....

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think Sean Payton intends to make an ass of himself on national TV.  Do you think McDermott intended to make an ass of himself on national TV starting Peterman?

I think McDermott took bad advice from OC who took a stand on hill and he died as Bills coach on it.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you're right.....but that doesn't explain why he doubled down on Peterman the following season

That guy must be "Catnip for Coaches" at the whiteboard or something, I swear it.

Well Cinci guy (who was not first choice) got injured and then did not make effort to try to get starting QB role anymore.

P5t5rman looked good in camp and preseason but he just does not have it at game speed. 

Josh was a QB who needed development time for best career.  

Playbook WAS very complicated and hard for rookie to pick up.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Well Cinci guy (who was not first choice) got injured and then did not make effort to try to get starting QB role anymore.

P5t5rman looked good in camp and preseason but he just does not have it at game speed. 

I agree completely, but it does seem as though there should have been more effort put into bringing in someone else, earlier. 

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree completely, but it does seem as though there should have been more effort put into bringing in someone else, earlier. 

I remember discussion at time and there were not a lot of good choices.  Anderson was mentioned but he told media he had retired.  

Final prediction: any given Sunday he’s a huge wild card. He’s late on reads, and not terribly accurate. Some weeks will be ugly.

But he will occasionally hit the chunk play. Probably a 100-150 yards average kind of guy but occasionally a bigger day. 

even with small ball this team can win some games. 

46 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

even with small ball this team can win some games. 

I don't watch them often enough to really know, but from what I have seen out of that franchise recently I have a really hard time trusting that defense if it's not playing with a lead.