Saints to start Taysom Hill over Jameis Winston

YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Nope, you're not wrong. He's straight out of the PARCELLS School of Football Trickery.

And, to be fair, I think Bill Parcells was a more progressive coach than he later sounded like on TV. And of course, the Belichick coaching tree actually branches OFF the Parcells coaching tree, so...

I don't even remember what we're talking about.

The original question was whether Payton could pull off coaching the kind of triple-option and trickery game that Belicheck rolled out with Brissett at one point: "Something like the Pats/Texans game in 2016 when they had to start Brissett on a short week and went full triple option on them. Brissett went 11/19 but they had the Texans completely turned around with trickery." as @Blokestradamus said.

I just don't see Parcells as ever having employed the sort of "ruthless pursuit of a competitive advantage" Belicheck got up to with his rule-skirting in game moves.  How many new rules do we have because of his play calls in playoff games?

I think this decision is based more on Payton wanting to see what they have in Taysom Hill. Brees is on his last leg. They need to see if he is the foreseeable future or if they are going to need to address the position. Winston will only play if Hill doesn't rise to the occasion. 

Yea the guy im playing in FFL has him as a TE. ESPN is so bad, if I lose because of this BS I done with ESPN completely. I have not watched anything ESPN in a long time, The only reason we are using ESPN FFL is because our commish likes them because he is a commie. I have looked in other leagues and it appears ESPN is the only one doing this, total BS.

On 11/20/2020 at 10:23 AM, Buftex said:

I wonder if this is a case of Sean Payton just being "Sean Payton", with his tendencies to always do the unexpected, or if he really thinks Hill gives him a better shot at winning than Winston does.  Hill gives Payton a chance/excuse to gamble a bit. Might be very fun to watch.

I think it would be better to use him in Slash role like Steelers did for Kordell Stewart.

Let Winston take the lumps, kneel downs, etc.

3 hours ago, H2o said:

I think this decision is based more on Payton wanting to see what they have in Taysom Hill. Brees is on his last leg. They need to see if he is the foreseeable future or if they are going to need to address the position. Winston will only play if Hill doesn't rise to the occasion. 

Taysom Hill is 30 years old.  He's thrown 18 passes in his 4 year NFL career for a 56% completion rate. 

What exactly is it the Saints need to see? 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Yea the guy im playing in FFL has him as a TE. ESPN is so bad, if I lose because of this BS I done with ESPN completely. I have not watched anything ESPN in a long time, The only reason we are using ESPN FFL is because our commish likes them because he is a commie. I have looked in other leagues and it appears ESPN is the only one doing this, total BS.

I’m really disappointed in my commish.  Didn’t even put it to a vote that Hill can only be used as a QB.  So my opponent this week is starting him at TE, so basically he has two QB’s in his lineup. 😡

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

I’m really disappointed in my commish.  Didn’t even put it to a vote that Hill can only be used as a QB.  So my opponent this week is starting him at TE, so basically he has two QB’s in his lineup. 😡

I doubt he gets more than 10 points plus karma is on your side. Don’t sweat it. 

On 11/20/2020 at 10:04 AM, Chuck Wagon said:

If I am Jameis, I ask for my release today.  He could be starting for Dallas or Chicago next Sunday.  

That’s the truth 

If you can’t beat out hill at QB time to catch a ride out I would suggest Uber those taxis in New Orleans are scary 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Nitro said:

It is time for Hill to shine.  If he does well he has a chance to be the successor to Brees.  Winston still has talent but reckless with the ball.  

My mind still boggles.

Why does anyone think a 30 year old man who has thrown 18 passes with 56% completion in his 4 year NFL career "has a chance" to be the successor to a QB who has played at the highest level for 15 years with multiple probowl appearances, 1st team all-pro, Superbowl win, 2 additional conference champion appearances, 8 playoff appearances.

No offense to Taysom Hill, but to date, he hasn't shown any indication he's fit to hold Brees cleats or jock, much less succeed him.  And the clock is against him - he's no "spring chicken".

Now that said, the Saints run game is arguably the best aspect of their offense currently, and their D is good.  I can see them wanting to play ball-control, grind-it-out offense with a guy who can pass just enough to keep the opponent off them. 

But Atlanta actually has a pretty good run D based on yards given up, and almost bottom of the league for passing yards.  Choosing to grind it out against them, might be like mounting a run-heavy defense against the SeaSnakes and while going pass-happy against NE.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, 97bills said:

That’s the truth 

If you can’t beat out hill at QB time to catch a ride out I would suggest Uber those taxis in New Orleans are scary 

And if I am GM I tell him no.  He was paid money and he cannot be traded. 

If he is released he could go to team which might be competition in playoffs.

What if Tainted T*m cannot finish season?

On 11/20/2020 at 11:07 AM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Poor decision IMO. I see Hill as a gadget QB, but not a complete game guy at the position. I think Winston would run a better attack overall. Saints D is good enough to overcome a few picks. 

More than that, they have Kamara.  Winston wouldn't need to air it out 50 times per game.  The team should run through Alvin.

Taysom Hill is a fine football player, but this is ridiculous.  He is NOT a better QB than Jameis.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

And if I am GM I tell him no.  He was paid money and he cannot be traded. 

If he is released he could go to team which might be competition in playoffs.

What if Tainted T*m cannot finish season?

I think he will get a chance I just don’t see hill lighting it up maybe play some power football and run a lot. I am kind of excited to see how it goes. Staying in Mississippi there lots of saints fans here and I can tell you there nervous 

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My mind still boggles.

Why does anyone think a 30 year old man who has thrown 18 passes with 56% completion in his 4 year NFL career "has a chance" to be the successor to a QB who has played at the highest level for 15 years with multiple probowl appearances, 1st team all-pro, Superbowl win, 2 additional conference champion appearances, 8 playoff appearances.

No offense to Taysom Hill, but to date, he hasn't shown any indication he's fit to hold Brees cleats or jock, much less succeed him.  And the clock is against him - he's no "spring chicken".

Now that said, the Saints run game is arguably the best aspect of their offense currently, and their D is good.  I can see them wanting to play ball-control, grind-it-out offense with a guy who can pass just enough to keep the opponent off them. 

But Atlanta actually has a pretty good run D based on yards given up, and almost bottom of the league for passing yards.  Choosing to grind it out against them, might be like mounting a run-heavy defense against the SeaSnakes and while going pass-happy against NE.

I got a buddy who is a die hard saints fan and he even laughs when people talk about hill being the guy it’s just crazy talk. The guy has shown nothing more then a good football player not a QB. We will see but I will say I can’t wait to see what happens 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Taysom Hill is 30 years old.  He's thrown 18 passes in his 4 year NFL career for a 56% completion rate. 

What exactly is it the Saints need to see? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/Article/New-Orleans-Saints-head-coach-Sean-Payton-is-confident-in-Taysom-Hills-chances-to-become-Drew-Brees-successor--147098403/Amp/

Like I said, this is likely more Payton wanting to see what Hill can do if given the reigns. 

22 minutes ago, H2o said:

Yeah, I saw those stories last Spring and I was like "that's Some *****"

SMDH

I've just been under- impressed when I've seen him.  Well, there's a reason why I'm not an NFL Talent Evaluator so, I guess we'll see.   Perhaps I need to be educated.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, I saw those stories last Spring and I was like "that's Some *****"

SMDH

I've just been under- impressed when I've seen him.  Well, there's a reason why I'm not an NFL Talent Evaluator so, I guess we'll see.   Perhaps I need to be educated.

Oh, yeah, I honestly don't believe he will be the answer. They did hand him a nice chunk of change for a gadget guy. Might well see if he can sling it with any consistency as well. I'm also pretty sure Payton saw the 30TD/30INT version of Winston in practice and was like, "Yeah, the clipboard suits you."

• Like (+1) 1