Saints to start Taysom Hill over Jameis Winston

YoloinOhio

53 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t see anyone disparaging his faith. It’s a fact that QB’s who can’t throw the ball have a poor track record in the NFL. The Tebow comparison isn’t perfect, but it is there. I don’t know anyone hating on Hill because his faith, that’s simply untrue. Hill isn’t even outspoken about his faith in the same way that Tebow was. Everything about Hill as a person actually helps him fit the mold of an NFL fan favorite imo. He’s the perfect image of what the average NFL fan wants from a player, the only problem is his skill set at the QB position. Sean Payton is one of the few who see him as potential franchise QB material. 

I don’t know - there’s a certain profile rof QB that analysts seem to hate - The tall, strong, athletic, strong armed but inaccurate, sometimes religious, All-American white dude QB.  

Analysts seem to slam these QB’s and compare them to Christian Hackenberg and then a ome fans seem to follow suit.  You saw this with Josh Allen...then Daniel Jones and Drew Locke.  Hill seems to get a lot of that venom

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

I don’t know - there’s a certain profile rof QB that analysts seem to hate - The tall, strong, athletic, strong armed but inaccurate, sometimes religious, All-American white dude QB.  

Analysts seem to slam these QB’s and compare them to Christian Hackenberg and then a ome fans seem to follow suit.  You saw this with Josh Allen...then Daniel Jones and Drew Locke.  Hill seems to get a lot of that venom

Just say inaccurate. The rest is nonsense.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Buftex said:

I wonder if this is a case of Sean Payton just being "Sean Payton", with his tendencies to always do the unexpected, or if he really thinks Hill gives him a better shot at winning than Winston does.  Hill gives Payton a chance/excuse to gamble a bit. Might be very fun to watch.

Hill is to Payton what Peterman was to MCDermott.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Will switch from ESPN to yahoo for fantasy next season.  Ridiculous.  Puts fantasy league commissioners in a tough spot.

Using any free league can run into this problem.  You just need your league to vote and accept, one player - one designation.  If multiple exist it goes to highest, ie QB>RB>WR>TE.

This problem has occurred  before -back to Colston as TE days.  And then again with Webb as a QB and WR.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Where do the Atlanta Falcons rank defensively...versus run and versus pass?

They are arguably the worst defense in the league against the pass. The fact that the Saints play them twice in the next 3 weeks certainly played a factor into putting Brees on IR (has to miss 3 weeks now).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Just say inaccurate. The rest is nonsense.

Not really....People talk about him like he’s the biggest piece of trash to ever play the position.  There’s a pattern there... same way they used to talk about Josh

Edited by JohnNord
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Not really....People talk about him like he’s the biggest piece of trash to ever play the position.  There’s a pattern there... same way they used to talk about Josh

Some of us remember when he could barely play the position at BYU. The likelihood that he's a better QB than that guy while barely taking a rep since he joined the NFL seems low.

Also, his first meaningful NFL snaps came at the age of 28.

Edited by Blokestradamus

1 minute ago, Blokestradamus said:

Some of us remember when he could barely play the position at BYU. The likelihood that he's better than that guy while barely taking a rep since he joined the NFL seems low.

Also, his first meaningful NFL snaps came at the age of 28.

I guess will have to wait and see what he does on Sunday ,  maybe decision was made based on the opponent /Falcons they’ll be facing this Sunday? 

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Hill is to Payton what Peterman was to MCDermott.

Some truth there I think

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So much for my fantasy claim 

So do we actually know that the Saints are going to start Hill? 

What do "starter reps" mean?  All of them?  5 of them? 

Just wondering if this is a Tempest in a Teapot

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, QCity said:

They are arguably the worst defense in the league against the pass. The fact that the Saints play them twice in the next 3 weeks certainly played a factor into putting Brees on IR (has to miss 3 weeks now).

Thanks for this.  How do they stack up against the run?  You would think because Hill's strength is running the ball, they would have gone with Winston.  Hmmmm...

1 minute ago, Putin said:

I guess will have to wait and see what he does on Sunday ,  maybe decision was made based on the opponent /Falcons they’ll be facing this Sunday? 

With the appreciation that Payton has for Hill, there's every chance that they've been working on a gameplan for him in case Brees gets hurt. Something like the Pats/Texans game in 2016 when they had to start Brissett on a short week and went full triple option on them. Brissett went 11/19 but they had the Texans completely turned around with trickery.

Quite whether you could do that sort of thing 3 weeks straight or not remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

He's not an NFL QB.  Never has been.  Why start now?

5 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Or Payton is trying to see if he has the chops to be a QB so he knows what to do this offseason when Brees retires. As I can't see Brees coming back as his arm is shot, he's getting hurt and the Saints window for another title could be closing. 

Replacing Brees with Hill would slam all windows shut.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1