Week 11 TNF: Zona at Seattle Battle of the Birds

Steptide

49 minutes ago, klos63 said:

He has the arm strength to make that throw, I think he was getting pressured when the released the ball. He had him wide open.

Exactly. Couldn’t step into the throw.

1 hour ago, JMF2006 said:

What a crappy ending.

Why try a low percentage throw on 3rd down with that much time left?

How in the H E double hockey sticks did they get lucky enough to beat the Bills?

He was wide open! It was a good call. Unfortunately for Murray, the pressure was there, making him unable to step into his throw.

9 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t know Putin.  They were crushed tonight with penalties, but fair.  They weren’t jobbed.  They are a solid team, and the Hawks had a good plan for Murray.  I will agree the faster that Hail Murray goes away on NFLN, the better.

The SeaSnakes were racking up the penalties pretty fiercely as well.  Dumb ones.  8 for 79

But holy smokes, I didn't realize how deep the Birdies dug themselves.  10 for 115, Yikes!

I think there was a touch of jobbery on that Holding call.  Much though I hate to say it.

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Did they only show the Hopkins catch against us 100 times on national TV

probably...  But I only watched the patter part of the 4th when Seattle took the (extended) lead 

then I went to bed before the last FG 

what confused me .....  Russ tosses a ball to the RB?  who drops it. 

Why was it a fumble if he never had possession? 

10 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

probably...  But I only watched the patter part of the 4th when Seattle took the (extended) lead 

It was a pitch out...lateral...and the RB bobbled it.

25 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Trying to figure out what the officials are doing this year is a rabbit hole I’m going to stay far away from

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Eh, people said that about our boy and he learned.  I just get salty sometimes about the premature coronation

I get sick of that too.

This year everyone is going gaga over Kyler Murray & Tua Tagavailoa. Yes, they are fun to watch, but the drooling and Hall of Fame talk is ridiculous.

What's funny and ridiculous is that we've been seeing this a lot in recent years. It was just last season that Lamar Jackson was going to be the greatest QB to ever play the game. Now all of a sudden, no one is talking about Jackson.

No one learns their lesson from this. Remember Robert Griffin III? Remember Vince Young?

Let's give these players a few years of play, before we start making those busts for Canton.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I get sick of that too.

This year everyone is going gaga over Kyler Murray & Tua Tagavailoa. Yes, they are fun to watch, but the drooling and Hall of Fame talk is ridiculous.

What's funny and ridiculous is that we've been seeing this a lot in recent years. It was just last season that Lamar Jackson was going to be the greatest QB to ever play the game. Now all of a sudden, no one is talking about Jackson.

No one learns their lesson from this. Remember Robert Griffin III? Remember Vince Young?

Let's give these players a few years of play, before we start making those busts for Canton.

or simple "busts" for Canton.  lol  

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I get sick of that too.

Someone here was talking about the script the announcers have on TV....was it @JGMcD2?  (rummage) Yes

The reporters made it news because it seems somewhat controversial and it’s their job. I dated a media personality for over two years... we lived together... I watched her put together stories... I gave her input on stories.

She was legitimately taught and expected to portray things in a certain way to generate interest. Take things that really are insignificant and blow them up to get people talking.

We would laugh about it all the time because she would pick out insignificant portions of an interview and portray them as a significant part of the interview in order to get people talking. I would call her on it constantly and she would laugh and say “I don’t know what else to do, the rest of the story isn’t very interesting, this can get people talking. It’s what I was taught to do in school, what I’ve been told to do at the station. It’s not dishonest, it’s just focusing on something unconventional to get people talking... that’s my job.” 

I don't think this was always the case with media, but at the current time, I believe this completely.  They are all about views over telling a fair story, and narrative contributes to that.

Example: Lamar Jackson during the Pats game.  The guy was NOT having a good game.  It's not that he was having a terrible, horrible, no good very bad game; it's just that the Poe-birds were trailing all game and to my eyes, being outplayed by more than the scoreboard (where they trailed all game) would indicate.  And he wasn't elevating them.  It goes along with the whole season - it's not that he's played horribly, he's just not as productive vs last season by 13 ypg passing and 22 ypg rushing.  He's actually generating MORE of the offense for the Poe-birds this year than last - 73% rushing + passing vs 66% last season!  And he looked particularly flat in the first half vs. NE.

So Lamar scrambles, gains some yards, goes out of bounds after a decent but not spectacular run - it was just an ordinary QB run that a number of mobile QB might manage, not one of those "OMG jockstraps falling all over the field with 'nads still in 'em and c'mon LJax that man's gotta eat!" miracles he pulled off last year.  And the announcer starts gushing about how Lamar was so much better last year than his rookie season and he's even better this season than last year and then, I kid you not, I heard this, "just make his  bust in Canton already" or words to that effect.

I'm like, That's Some ****.  It just seemed really clear to me that the announcers had a pre-scripted narrative to work into the broadcast if at all possible.  Again, nothing against Lamar, I like him, but I think teams did hone in on some of his weak spots as a QB and figure out how to contain their run game a bit, and he/the Ravens haven't yet been able to adjust.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Someone here was talking about the script the announcers have on TV....was it @JGMcD2?  (rummage) Yes

The reporters made it news because it seems somewhat controversial and it’s their job. I dated a media personality for over two years... we lived together... I watched her put together stories... I gave her input on stories.

She was legitimately taught and expected to portray things in a certain way to generate interest. Take things that really are insignificant and blow them up to get people talking.

We would laugh about it all the time because she would pick out insignificant portions of an interview and portray them as a significant part of the interview in order to get people talking. I would call her on it constantly and she would laugh and say “I don’t know what else to do, the rest of the story isn’t very interesting, this can get people talking. It’s what I was taught to do in school, what I’ve been told to do at the station. It’s not dishonest, it’s just focusing on something unconventional to get people talking... that’s my job.” 

I don't think this was always the case with media, but at the current time, I believe this completely.  They are all about views over telling a fair story, and narrative contributes to that.

Example: Lamar Jackson during the Pats game.  The guy was NOT having a good game.  It's not that he was having a terrible, horrible, no good very bad game; it's just that the Poe-birds were trailing all game and to my eyes, being outplayed by more than the scoreboard (where they trailed all game) would indicate.  And he wasn't elevating them.  It goes along with the whole season - it's not that he's played horribly, he's just not as productive vs last season by 13 ypg passing and 22 ypg rushing.  He's actually generating MORE of the offense for the Poe-birds this year than last - 73% rushing + passing vs 66% last season!  And he looked particularly flat in the first half vs. NE.

So Lamar scrambles, gains some yards, goes out of bounds after a decent but not spectacular run - it was just an ordinary QB run that a number of mobile QB might manage, not one of those "OMG jockstraps falling all over the field with 'nads still in 'em and c'mon LJax that man's gotta eat!" miracles he pulled off last year.  And the announcer starts gushing about how Lamar was so much better last year than his rookie season and he's even better this season than last year and then, I kid you not, I heard this, "just make his  bust in Canton already" or words to that effect.

I'm like, That's Some ****.  It just seemed really clear to me that the announcers had a pre-scripted narrative to work into the broadcast if at all possible.  Again, nothing against Lamar, I like him, but I think teams did hone in on some of his weak spots as a QB and figure out how to contain their run game a bit, and he/the Ravens haven't yet been able to adjust.

It was extremely apparent when we played the Cardinals last Sunday. When they cut to the CBS halftime show they started talking about how it was a close game and whatnot. Bills were leading by a score... but they showed a graphic with Allen’s stats and Murray’s stats. Which were basically identical...

Then someone said “So far it’s been the Kyler Murray show” and they flashed up Kyler highlights of him running around. He had 16 yards rushing, but they glossed over that and showed him scrambling around on plays that he avoided a 8 yard loss and turned it into a 1-2 yard loss or no gain. They made it look like he was running ALL OVER us. 

If you were watching the game... you had to be confused. But that’s the story they wanted to tell. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

It was extremely apparent when we played the Cardinals last Sunday. When they cut to the CBS halftime show they started talking about how it was a close game and whatnot. Bills were leading by a score... but they showed a graphic with Allen’s stats and Murray’s stats. Which were basically identical...

Then someone said “So far it’s been the Kyler Murray show” and they flashed up Kyler highlights of him running around. He had 16 yards rushing, but they glossed over that and showed him scrambling around on plays that he avoided a 8 yard loss and turned it into a 1-2 yard loss or no gain. They made it look like he was running ALL OVER us. 

If you were watching the game... you had to be confused. But that’s the story they wanted to tell. 

I was LOL last night at Troy Aikman.  "Diggs made a great catch in the endzone, then Murray made a great pass to Hopkins".  I said in the Shoutbox "that guy just can't stand to say anything good about Josh".   I mean WTF man, do you think Diggs threw it to himself?

I think we better buckle up for more of the same.  I got my "Buffalo vs Everybody" hoodie and I'm ready to hunker down.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I was LOL last night at Troy Aikman.  "Diggs made a great catch in the endzone, then Murray made a great pass to Hopkins".  I said in the Shoutbox "that guy just can't stand to say anything good about Josh".   I mean WTF man, do you think Diggs threw it to himself?

I think we better buckle up for more of the same.  I got my "Buffalo vs Everybody" hoodie and I'm ready to hunker down.

That's some BS that's practically the opposite of what happened. I mean Diggs made a great catch still but between the two Josh made the great throw that gave his WR a chance and Murray threw some wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

because he couldn't get enough on it, as he was being pressured.

brilliant

He's a better passer than Lamar Jackson for sure, but he needs a full pitcher's windup to drive the ball downfield. Josh would have made that throw with all other elements being equal. 

13 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

He's a better passer than Lamar Jackson for sure, but he needs a full pitcher's windup to drive the ball downfield. Josh would have made that throw with all other elements being equal. 

not arguing about who's arm is stronger. just stating the obvious reason why the throw hung up on the receiver.

• Like (+1) 1