What Bills need to work on now

finn

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Unlike some others here I have no strong opinion on TJ Yeldon plus or minus. 

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the catch % overall of Singletary.  He's credited with 3 drops out of 36 targets.  Moss, no drops on 12 targets.  Both 70-75%.  Kroft 1 drop on 16 targets, 75% catch %. 

All three have stats that match the "eye test" that say nothing suggests they won't catch it if they get a chance.

I want to love me some "Hard Knox" but....

I’m trying to remain positive, because I think he could be a special difference maker, but I understand the but.......

PLEASE Dawson, be all that you can be!!!

5 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Not good, plus he has historically been a turnover risk.   I don't want him on the field unless one of the other two goes down,   That guy is a risky player who has, can and will turn the ball over or get your QB blown up by a blitzer (which Josh will be seeing for the rest of the year).    The guy is an emergency player.   The only reason he saw the field vs KC is they had no one else.  

Bills are a downfield passing team emphasizing its 5 front line WRs, it seems to me.   I like the WR screens to counter the blitz (eg. Gold Rip) , bc our WRs are better in space than our RBs.  

If you look at the numbers Singletary is on pace to fumble more then Yeldon.  Yeldon 7 fumbles in 492 rushing attempts. Singletary 4 fumbles in 250 rushing attempts. The 6 ft 1 Yeldon also has 1,448 career recieving yards. ( 60 GP ) The 5 ft 7 inch Singletary 381 recieving yards ( 22 GP )  Yeldon was drafted early in the 2nd round (36th overall) I'm not going to speculate on why it didn't pan out in Jacksonville. I had and still have high expectations for the Alabama product. 

My intentions are not to run the motor or Moss down. I think watching T J Yeldon get some play time might start a fire under all three of them. Yeldon will play with a big chip on his shoulder given the chance IMO. I also think the taller Yeldon provides an easier and more versatile checkdown for Allen. Better comfort level may translate to more dump offs to the RB in space IMO. 

Edited by Figster

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think we could improve the productivity of our offense if Josh became just a bit more willing to take the checkdown promptly.  On a number of drives that ended with FG or worse, punts, a prompt throw to a checkdown (TE or RB, sometimes to Beas) could have resulted in a third down conversion and a fresh set of downs; a sizeable YAC gain; or even a TD. 

Just reading this, I had to stop for a second, smile, and think...

How much have we improved offensively, and how far have we come that we need to get our quarterback to check down MORE??

I'm lovin it 🙂

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, finn said:

Haven't seen a dedicated thread on this topic. A lot of things are working well for the Bills, but I propose they should be working on these areas during the bye week:

--Run game, which is essential not just to control the ball and deal with bad weather but also to set up play action. Allen is the best in the league at it but won't be for long if they struggle running the ball like they did in AZ. They should get better here just by returning Morse and Ford and moving Feliciano back to guard. The starters will need to get on the same page as a unit, but at least they're starter-quality players. I'd also like to see more pulls, sweeps, even the old Washington counter-trey. The Super Bowl Bills ran that successfully. The Bills starters have the mobility to pull it off. They're not runs, but I would also welcome more screens. 

--Tight end play. It's an understatement to say Knox has been a disappointment. I would say he's hurt the team more than he's helped, with his idiot penalties, whiffed blocks (including one against Seattle that led to a sack), and a fumble to accompany his usual drops. But the guy has wheels, and he has shown he can block, especially downfield. I like his energy. Having him play to his potential would give Allen another option when opponents take away the deep ball. If the run game gets going AND Knox steps up, this offense will be as good as any other in the league. Kroft is fine as he his and what he does. 

--Run defense. Stating the obvious. Not sure what the staff can do without one-technique tackle. Harrison doesn't seem to be the guy, and Zimmer seems inconsistent. Neither can swallow a double team like Ted Washington could, or even Star on occasion. Not much to say. Whoever plays the position just has to be better. This is the area where I feel the least optimistic that the Bills will improve. I find myself hoping Beane will pluck someone off a practice squad somewhere. 

--Defensive turnovers. I think actually forcing turnovers are already becoming part of the identity of the Bills D, which is wicked exciting. But it couldn't hurt to hit the Juggs machine, practice popping the ball out, getting hands up, and so on. Make it a priority. Getting turnovers will become critical if they can't improve the run D. 

Otherwise, I'd say they're good to go. Things can be tweaked, but I think the passing game (minus the TEs), the pass rush, the secondary, the wr's, even the linebackers are all doing great. Tremaine is coming on, and we'll have Milano, Levy and Dane back. (Norman can stay out for all I care.)

Thoughts?

Finn, good analysis.

If everything you mentioned would be guaranteed to be fixed if they worked on it, which two are most important in your opinion to work on? I just don’t see how they can address everything you mentioned in one week.

Edited by BillsFan619

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I've never understood the decision to not play Yeldon. Let's not kid ourselves Motor is struggling. TJ offers an opportunity to open up the field coming out of the backfield. Just makes zero sense??

because the fallacy that the guy you don't see playing is always better may not actually be true...or the one that NFL coaches won't play the better players because of strange, murky "reasons"

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Yeldon is the better receiving threat too and it's not even close...

The myth that Yeldon is some fumbling machine is ridiculous. I really don't understand why the guy doesn't play considering our pedestrian back field. 

He looked good in the limited time he's played this season. Or at least good enough to get a shot. At this point, I'd have no problem going with a Yeldon/Moss backfield.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Chicharito said:

Score a defensive touchdown it’s been 3 years

Is this true? If it is, this is the key! The Bills have been in a number of close games this year as most NFL games tend to be. The Cardinals game is a win without us tossing a couple of dumb interceptions and with us picking off Murray to seal the victory. I can remember so many Bills wins over the years where somebody makes the big play on defense, picks off the pass, and we kneel it out. But not last Sunday. If we were sitting here at 8-2 this thread would be totally different. 

The Bills need to take the ball away and not turn it over. If there’s one thing....that’s it.

Edited by SoCal Deek

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think we could improve the productivity of our offense if Josh became just a bit more willing to take the checkdown promptly.  On a number of drives that ended with FG or worse, punts, a prompt throw to a checkdown (TE or RB, sometimes to Beas) could have resulted in a third down conversion and a fresh set of downs; a sizeable YAC gain; or even a TD. 

How far we've come from "Captain Checkdown" days!

14 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

every Man has a limit😂

I'm absorbing how my kids talk...

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Finn, good analysis.

If everything you mentioned would be guaranteed to be fixed if they worked on it, which two are most important in your opinion to work on? I just don’t see how they can address everything you mentioned in one week.

Thanks for asking. Ideally: run defense. Practically speaking: turnovers. The Super Bowl Bills also had a mediocre defense, even with Smith, Bennett and Talley. But they were opportunistic. Nate Odomes with the interception, Smith with the forced fumble, etc. I agree that their options for improving the run d are limited, but more turnovers would help compensate. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, kirkwoodus13 said:

our running backs are to slow. When there is hole , they take for ever to get through it. here is an idea... should have brought  SHADY McCoy back.. Shady right now in this offense would killing it. He is better than what we have right now

Shady is the OPPOSITE of hitting the hole quick.....he is prone to bounce runs outside and can't outrun anyone anymore

1.  It’s dated and cliche’, but run and stop the run is this teams biggest failure. I fear their inability to do either well will cost them dearly. 

2.  They need to get their college scouting and pro personnel scouts seeking out an actual NFL caliber starting TE on this roster. Kroft is fine as a #2, but Knox is an absolute liability out there. One angry run doesn’t absolve him from the fact he’s unable to consistently catch a football or avoid damaging penalties. 

3. This ties into #1, but we need a MLB that actually has the correct instincts to play the position. I think Edmunds isn’t the answer there. 

4. Also ties into #1, but even when Star returns, he’s at the tail end of a career, and if his absence is the top reason for our poor run D, they must find a replacement, even though fans will rip on him for not producing stats 😂

23 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Win the 3rd Quarter.....period

Yep.

Halftime adjustments seemed to be a strength of the team in the past. For some reason they come out of the locker room flat and then turn it on in the 4th.

However, I don't know if that's something that can be fixed over a bye week? 

Edited by Beast