What Bills need to work on now

finn

Haven't seen a dedicated thread on this topic. A lot of things are working well for the Bills, but I propose they should be working on these areas during the bye week:

--Run game, which is essential not just to control the ball and deal with bad weather but also to set up play action. Allen is the best in the league at it but won't be for long if they struggle running the ball like they did in AZ. They should get better here just by returning Morse and Ford and moving Feliciano back to guard. The starters will need to get on the same page as a unit, but at least they're starter-quality players. I'd also like to see more pulls, sweeps, even the old Washington counter-trey. The Super Bowl Bills ran that successfully. The Bills starters have the mobility to pull it off. They're not runs, but I would also welcome more screens. 

--Tight end play. It's an understatement to say Knox has been a disappointment. I would say he's hurt the team more than he's helped, with his idiot penalties, whiffed blocks (including one against Seattle that led to a sack), and a fumble to accompany his usual drops. But the guy has wheels, and he has shown he can block, especially downfield. I like his energy. Having him play to his potential would give Allen another option when opponents take away the deep ball. If the run game gets going AND Knox steps up, this offense will be as good as any other in the league. Kroft is fine as he his and what he does. 

--Run defense. Stating the obvious. Not sure what the staff can do without one-technique tackle. Harrison doesn't seem to be the guy, and Zimmer seems inconsistent. Neither can swallow a double team like Ted Washington could, or even Star on occasion. Not much to say. Whoever plays the position just has to be better. This is the area where I feel the least optimistic that the Bills will improve. I find myself hoping Beane will pluck someone off a practice squad somewhere. 

--Defensive turnovers. I think actually forcing turnovers are already becoming part of the identity of the Bills D, which is wicked exciting. But it couldn't hurt to hit the Juggs machine, practice popping the ball out, getting hands up, and so on. Make it a priority. Getting turnovers will become critical if they can't improve the run D. 

Otherwise, I'd say they're good to go. Things can be tweaked, but I think the passing game (minus the TEs), the pass rush, the secondary, the wr's, even the linebackers are all doing great. Tremaine is coming on, and we'll have Milano, Levy and Dane back. (Norman can stay out for all I care.)

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks OP

Buffao has a couple of players sitting on the shelf that might be able to help IMO. T J Yeldon because of his pass catching abilities out of the backfield. I think Yeldon is a good fit for the more pass oriented O IMO.  Duke Williams for size that could help provide a security blanket for Allen lacking from the TE position. Big enough to help work the middle of the football field and increase redzone production IMO.

Like elfs on a shelf, waiting to spread magic...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 3

I think we could improve the productivity of our offense if Josh became just a bit more willing to take the checkdown promptly.  On a number of drives that ended with FG or worse, punts, a prompt throw to a checkdown (TE or RB, sometimes to Beas) could have resulted in a third down conversion and a fresh set of downs; a sizeable YAC gain; or even a TD. 

If I were doing offensive QC or whatever it's called for the Bills, I would try to put a set of clips together illustrating this and get Dorsey and Daboll to go through them with Josh to emphasize this point.

I admit to not doing a methodical study on this point to tell exactly how many drives this would impact, my impression is "a lot"  I can think of at least 2 just in the Cardinals game.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think we could improve the productivity of our offense if Josh became just a bit more willing to take the checkdown promptly.  On a number of drives that ended with FG or worse, punts, a prompt throw to a checkdown (TE or RB, sometimes to Beas) could have resulted in a third down conversion and a fresh set of downs; a sizeable YAC gain; or even a TD. 

If I were doing offensive QC or whatever it's called for the Bills, I would try to put a set of clips together illustrating this and get Dorsey and Daboll to go through them with Josh to emphasize this point.

I admit to not doing a methodical study on this point to tell exactly how many drives this would impact, my impression is "a lot"  I can think of at least 2 just in the Cardinals game.

I think this goes hand in hand with having T J Yeldon in the game. Even If its as more of a 3rd down specialst IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Win the 3rd Quarter.....period

Good point 

38 minutes ago, Figster said:

Thanks OP

Buffao has a couple of players sitting on the shelf that might be able to help IMO. T J Yeldon because of his pass catching abilities out of the backfield. I think Yeldon is a good fit for the more pass oriented O IMO.  Duke Williams for size that could help provide a security blanket for Allen lacking from the TE position. Big enough to help work the middle of the football field and increase redzone production IMO.

Like elfs on a shelf, waiting to spread magic...

How is Yeldon in pass protection? 

47 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Pass rush and O-line.  The run defense is not fixable with the current cast.  However they can scheme up more pressure.  O-line is just getting everyone healthy and picking the right 5.  Personally I think that is Dawkins, Ford, Morse, Feliciano, and Williams.  

agree on the run defense.  will be better with health, but with Shaq and Star gone, down to down people will be running on the Bills for the rest of the year.   Milano, Hughes will add spash TFL plays and picks will increase, so a up an down turnover based, tackle for loss approach on D will have to do until next year.   Go score points and force the other team to throw it.  A lot like what Steelers did a couple years ago when their D sucked.   Get used to 60+ total points through year end.  Is what it is.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Figster said:

I think this goes hand in hand with having T J Yeldon in the game. Even If its as more of a 3rd down specialst IMO.

I've never understood the decision to not play Yeldon. Let's not kid ourselves Motor is struggling. TJ offers an opportunity to open up the field coming out of the backfield. Just makes zero sense??

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Putin said:

Good point 

How is Yeldon in pass protection? 

Not good, plus he has historically been a turnover risk.   I don't want him on the field unless one of the other two goes down,   That guy is a risky player who has, can and will turn the ball over or get your QB blown up by a blitzer (which Josh will be seeing for the rest of the year).    The guy is an emergency player.   The only reason he saw the field vs KC is they had no one else.  

Bills are a downfield passing team emphasizing its 5 front line WRs, it seems to me.   I like the WR screens to counter the blitz (eg. Gold Rip) , bc our WRs are better in space than our RBs.  

Edited by ProcessTruster

21 minutes ago, Figster said:

Unlike some others here I have no strong opinion on TJ Yeldon plus or minus. 

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the catch % overall of Singletary.  He's credited with 3 drops out of 36 targets.  Moss, no drops on 12 targets.  Both 70-75%.  Kroft 1 drop on 16 targets, 75% catch %. 

All three have stats that match the "eye test" that say nothing suggests they won't catch it if they get a chance.

I want to love me some "Hard Knox" but....

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Not good, plus he has historically been a turnover risk.   I don't want him on the field unless one of the other two goes down,   That guy is a risky player who has, can and will turn the ball over or get your QB blown up by a blitzer (which Josh will be seeing for the rest of the year).    The guy is an emergency player.   The only reason he saw the field vs KC is they had no one else.  

Bills are a downfield passing team emphasizing its 5 front line WRs, it seems to me.   I like the WR screens to counter the blitz (eg. Gold Rip) , bc our WRs are better in space than our RBs.  

Well I guess that explains it right there ^^^