Coaching/feel for the game

kirkwoodus13

Like many of you I am still trying to process how the bills manage to loose this last game to Cardinals. When did you realize that we were going to loos this game? I knew it, the moment Coach McDermit call that unnecessary timeout. That timeout like so many decisions he has, made at the end of half or games was so ill timed. Coach does not have a good feel for the game. He remind me of Billy Donavan his first couple years at OKC  coming from college. He would jump in the  air a call time out in the middle of a possession. Leaving Durant and Westbrook confused. Arizona had just wasted 23 seconds on the previous play. They had no idea what they were going to do next. At most they had call two plays and was probably going to run a quick out to get extra yards. By calling that time out, he gave that team a chance to regroup. Murray intentionally rolled to his left. I guaranteed they practiced that play before . That time out showed a coach who more often than not don't have feel for the game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Disagree. You absolutely call the time out there and make sure every single person on defense knows their responsibility. The coaching was fine. Our three best DBs all got beat on one play. 

Coaches coach. Players play. 

This game was maybe McD's best in terms of handling timeouts.

It's been said before.......but maybe the most impressive thing about McBeane so far has been their willingness to change/fix things that aren't producing the desired results.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Disagree. You absolutely call the time out there and make sure every single person on defense knows their responsibility. The coaching was fine. Our three best DBs all got beat on one play. 

Normally I agree with your takes, GB, but I can't here. Murray just barely got the pass off to Fitz on the sideline. He looked rattled in that moment. If we needed the timeout to set up the defense, the Cards needed it 100x more to settle themselves and set up their play.

When an opposing offense is without a timeout near the end of a half or game, you do not give them a free one!!

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, kirkwoodus13 said:

Like many of you I am still trying to process how the bills manage to loose this last game to Cardinals. When did you realize that we were going to loos this game? I knew it, the moment Coach McDermit call that unnecessary timeout. That timeout like so many decisions he has, made at the end of half or games was so ill timed. Coach does not have a good feel for the game. He remind me of Billy Donavan his first couple years at OKC  coming from college. He would jump in the  air a call time out in the middle of a possession. Leaving Durant and Westbrook confused. Arizona had just wasted 23 seconds on the previous play. They had no idea what they were going to do next. At most they had call two plays and was probably going to run a quick out to get extra yards. By calling that time out, he gave that team a chance to regroup. Murray intentionally rolled to his left. I guaranteed they practiced that play before . That time out showed a coach who more often than not don't have feel for the game.

A guy jumped higher than other guys, and caught a pass. 

You have your answer. 

2 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Normally I agree with your takes, GB, but I can't here. Murray just barely got the pass off to Fitz on the sideline. He looked rattled in that moment. If we needed the timeout to set up the defense, the Cards needed it 100x more to settle themselves and set up their play.

When an opposing offense is without a timeout near the end of a half or game, you do not give them a free one!!

The clock was stopped. They had a chance to gather already... the offense calls a play and the defense has to react. The offense is the driver in the situation, defense is the passenger. 

McDermott got a look at what they were doing and called a timeout to make sure everyone knew their role. Sure, maybe it gave Kingsbury a minute to make an adjustment himself but the offense can adjust based on the audibles installed on that play... the defense is purely reacting. I like to use the example of a game in poor conditions. Offensive players have an advantage with bad turf, wet turf, etc. because they know exactly what they’re doing on that play... the defender is doing their best to react to it. 

The call was correct, the execution was correct, the result was a great player made a great play. It happens. 

What would people say if McDermott didn’t call a timeout and that exact same result occurred? That the defense was unorganized and players didn’t know their assignments? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not only the DBs, but the DL lost contain; Addison either made a decision to go for the kill (sack) instead of the pursuit.  Oliver was a hair slow to get off a block and close.

"Everybody's a Football Coach" in their living room, but if we had done any of the things that are suggested (no timeout, put one of our tall offensive players in as a "hands" team) and the results were poor, you betcha everybody would be second guessing in overdrive.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not only the DBs, but the DL lost contain; Addison either made a decision to go for the kill (sack) instead of the pursuit.  Oliver was a hair slow to get off a block and close.

"Everybody's a Football Coach" in their living room, but if we had done any of the things that are suggested (no timeout, put one of our tall offensive players in as a "hands" team) and the results were poor, you betcha everybody would be second guessing in overdrive.

Something like...

“Why the heck did we have Gabriel Davis in over Dane Jackson on that last play? What was McDermott thinking... Davis hasn’t practiced one snap on defense all year and you put him out there to cover Hopkins!!!” 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Something like...

“Why the heck ***** did did we have ***** Gabriel Davis in over Dane Jackson on that last play? What was McDermott thinking... Davis hasn’t ***** practiced one snap on defense all year and you put him out there to cover Hopkins!!!” 

Exactly.  Well, almost exactly.  FIFY 😇

It's of note that in his presser on Monday, Leslie Frazier straight up acknowledged that they believed AZ had time for two plays and that they couldn't just defend the endzone as they might have chosen to try to make some yards and get out of bounds to enable a closer "Hail"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This ^^^^ 

If McD doesn’t call that time out we’d all be saying how can he NOT call a time out and make sure he has the right guys out there and NOT expecting a Hail Mary ?

we had 3 guys on him and we couldn’t make a play I just don’t know what else we could have done , 

• Like (+1) 1

My beef with Sunday was why do a Cal-Stanford on the following kickoff when you have a QB who can launch a ball 70 yards? Even if it's a touchback why not try a hail mary?  Turns out AZ squibbed the kickoff. If you could have fielded it at the 50, it's a 67-yard FG try from there. Not impossible for Tyler Bass.  Just very disappointed they didn't think the end through.

I’m just glad this was a regular season game because if this would have happened to us in a playoffs or a SB 

we would probably lose half of this board to alcohol drug abuse and probably suicide 🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

I’m just glad this was a regular season game because if this would have happened to us in a playoffs or a SB 

we would probably lose half of this board to alcohol drug abuse and probably suicide 🤦‍♂️

This past week's loss was a tough one but just think of what Oilers fans went through after "The Comeback" and that was a playoff game.