Huddle & Flow Podcast featuring Stefon Diggs: Playing the Long Game

YoloinOhio

Seems like a really good guy.  One thing I have to ask though...how did they spend a solid 5 minutes talking about his love of chicken wings, and not mention the chicken wings in Buffalo?  Granted, Trotter seemed to be directing most of the wing talk, but it was all about wings in Minnesota versus wings in DC.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

I liked how he approached getting over the cardinals loss. 24 hour rule, but initially  felt like thE meme where the little girl is ready to blow out the candles on her birthday cake and then her sister did it instead (when he caught the game winner and then Dhop crashed the party)

8 hours ago, Buftex said:

Seems like a really good guy.  One thing I have to ask though...how did they spend a solid 5 minutes talking about his love of chicken wings, and not mention the chicken wings in Buffalo?  Granted, Trotter seemed to be directing most of the wing talk, but it was all about wings in Minnesota versus wings in DC.

I think it's cute how people in Buffalo think their wings are better than other places at this point. Similarly, if beef on weck were as great as people make it out to be, it would be much more widespread.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

42 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I think it's cute how people in Buffalo think their wings are better than other places at this point. Similarly, if beef on weck were as great as people make it out to be, it would be much more widespread.

I was not saying that wings in Buffalo are better than everywhere else, but it is just odd that they are talking about their love of wings, Diggs gets traded to the place most synonymous with wings, and there isn't an acknowledgement of that...it was just odd.  I know, food pallets are different for everyone... I know for me, living in Texas, the wings for the most part, are pretty awful, and really expensive.

Your point about beef on weck is irrelevant.  But, ok...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

11 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I was not saying that wings in Buffalo are better than everywhere else, but it is just odd that they are talking about their love of wings, Diggs gets traded to the place most synonymous with wings, and there isn't an acknowledgement of that...it was just odd.  I know, food pallets are different for everyone... I know for me, living in Texas, the wings for the most part, are pretty awful, and really expensive.

Your point about beef on weck is irrelevant.  But, ok...

The Wings in Buffalo are better than anywhere else. Most places don't dry out the wings first, so they don't get as crispy. And some places use Texas Pete for wing sauce. Just so disgusting! 

Beef on Weck can't be reproduced outside of Buffalo, because others cant make a true Kimmelweck roll. Not sure why. I think it water, weather, mineral thing about Buffalo specifically. Most places just use a bun and put salt and seeds on them, not the same at all!

Edited by sunshynman

39 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I agree with you about the wings.  People who enjoy the thought of "authentic" wings plays in to this a bit.  Beef on weck is pretty damn good, I think it's not more widespread because the kummelweck roll is not.  Also, cooking that sliced beef just right is a subtlety that Buffalo places seem to excel at, even if it's not on the weck sandwich. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

Beef on Weck can't be reproduced outside of Buffalo, because others cant make a true Kimmelweck roll. Not sure why. I think it water, weather, mineral thing about Buffalo specifically. Most places just use a bun and put salt and seeds on them, not the same at all!

It takes a lot of work but it can be done.  Jimmy, owner of bar "Jimmy's Old Town Tavern", our Bills Backers group meet at, worked with a local bakery to make Kimmelweck rolls and they were served at "Buffalo Nite" in DC along with Roast Beef from Charlie the Butcher.  

beef-on-weck.jpg

Great Interview!!

Diggs ability to articulate answers quickly and accurately is extremely impressive.  Doesn't seem they are cookie cutter answers at all and is able to answer questions with transparency.  Josh Allen tends to be the same way as well.  

One thing I picked up on is he said that Josh wants to be perfect all the time and that he tells him not to worry about that, that he’s not going to be perfect either, he’s going to drop a pass now and then himself, so josh can’t get too upset if he makes a mistake and can shake it off. 

50 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

One thing I picked up on is he said that Josh wants to be perfect all the time and that he tells him not to worry about that, that he’s not going to be perfect either, he’s going to drop a pass now and then himself, so josh can’t get too upset if he makes a mistake and can shake it off. 

Yeah, that part was really cute: (about Allen) "He always strives to be perfect, that's something that I love about him.  He's super hard on himself.  So for me, I tell him you can't be Superman Every day, All day.  He strives to be perfect, so I try to be there to kind of meet him in the middle.  I tell him, I drop a ball, I'm not going to apologize so don't apologize to me.  I'm always trying to have his back throughout the situation, throughout practice." (transcript may not be 100% correct)

It's actually something I worry about a little with Josh is that he's so hard on himself, there may come a time when he needs to be hard on his teammates and call them out for running the wrong route or for slacking on a route or whiffing on a block or what have you, and will he?  Although it sounds as though right now, the teammates will be calling out themselves (and the others in the room) so maybe it's a non issue.

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, that part was really cute: (about Allen) "He always strives to be perfect, that's something that I love about him.  He's super hard on himself.  So for me, I tell him you can't be Superman Every day, All day.  He strives to be perfect, so I try to be there to kind of meet him in the middle.  I tell him, I drop a ball, I'm not going to apologize so don't apologize to me.  I'm always trying to have his back throughout the situation, throughout practice." (transcript may not be 100% correct)

It's actually something I worry about a little with Josh is that he's so hard on himself, there may come a time when he needs to be hard on his teammates and call them out for running the wrong route or for slacking on a route or whiffing on a block or what have you, and will he?  Although it sounds as though right now, the teammates will be calling out themselves (and the others in the room) so maybe it's a non issue.

As I recall him and Theilen yapping at Cousins On the sideline last year, I wonder if cousins is the type to call out his WRs but not admit his own errors. Then that leads to QB not trusting his WR and vice versa. I remember Diggs in the Pats game, telling josh as soon as he walked off the field that the INT was on him. This builds trust, Allen won’t be afraid to throw it to him in crunch time.

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

As I recall him and Theilen yapping at Cousins On the sideline last year, I wonder if cousins is the type to call out his WRs but not admit his own errors. Then that leads to QB not trusting his WR and vice versa. I remember Diggs in the Pats game, telling josh as soon as he walked off the field that the INT was on him. This builds trust, Allen won’t be afraid to throw it to him in crunch time.

I think that might go along with, I'm trying to think who it was - might have been Dawkins? being interviewed last year.  No wait, here it was, it was Dawkins Player's Tribune article "Letter to Bills Mafia": "You know how in football movies, the quarterback is usually separate from the rest of the squad — kind of this chosen one who gets put on a pedestal? With Josh, it’s like the complete opposite of that. He’s one of us — one of the boys. Period."

Movies are movies of course, but I do sense that with some QBs there's a carefully cultivated distance.  They may feel they to preserve a bit of mystique, because they feel they need to put themselves on a higher level in order to direct the rest of the team around.  "Officers can't fraternize with the troops kind of thing".  And Cousins 100% feels the need for distance - he's the one that asked the Redskins to give him his own office so he could store binders of plays and notes and have whiteboards to write on.  That doesn't sound to me like a guy whose wide receivers seek him out and keep telling him "don't be so hard on yourself, we could all have done more"

There are all kinds of leadership styles, of course