Overview of 2020 rookies

Michael1962

I didn't see this posted elsewhere.  I found this article interesting and would like to hear other's perspectives on this.   If I am the only one who find it interesting, etc., please delete.  https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/11/bills-gabriel-davis-tyler-bass-and-dane-jackson-among-buffalos-most-pleasant-surprises-2020-draft-class-overview-at-bye.html

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

I am not a draft expert by any stretch but if memory serves me a draft class with a few starters has been considered a success.  For those with more knowledge of Bills draft days is the 2020 class a "once in a lifetime" thing or something else?

Once in a lifetime is the Steelers 1974 draft class. 4 of their first 5 picks were HOF's.

• Like (+1) 5

23 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

If you hit on a few picks per year you'll have a good team.

If you win the lottery and hit on 4-5 picks in a couple drafts in a row you are an elite team. 

Diggs being basically 1st has been great.  AJ and Moss weren't reaches and seem to be players. You drafted a kicker who made the team.  Late round rookie WR looked solid in camp, and with a few guys likely off the roster he may get a shot next year.  Jackson didn't look out of place at DB either so he can compete to start somewhere down the line.  

41 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

I am not a draft expert by any stretch but if memory serves me a draft class with a few starters has been considered a success.  For those with more knowledge of Bills draft days is the 2020 class a "once in a lifetime" thing or something else?

wait- are you serious?

14 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Diggs being basically 1st has been great.  AJ and Moss weren't reaches and seem to be players. You drafted a kicker who made the team.  Late round rookie WR looked solid in

camp, and with a few guys likely off the roster he may get a shot next year.  Jackson didn't look out of place at DB either so he can compete to start somewhere down the line.  

yup. Solid contributing class. 

A second round DE isn’t often an instant game changer

a 3rd round rb should contribute heavily early 

a drafted kicker should work like ours has

a late DB contributing isn’t terribly rare, hopefully he develops into something. 

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

wait- are you serious?

a late DB contributing isn’t terribly rare, hopefully he develops into something. 

They went with the proven guy in Diggs over who might be there at 22 or trying to maneuver around other teams picks in that round.  They wanted a man coverage beater - Jeudy wouldn't have been there, lamb wouldn't have been there, ruggs wouldn't have been there.  Jefferson was there, but buffalo didn't know that - and he always seemed to project as a #2 WR.  

Edited by dneveu

30 minutes ago, dneveu said:

They went with the proven guy in Diggs over who might be there at 22 or trying to maneuver around other teams picks in that round.  They wanted a man coverage beater - Jeudy wouldn't have been there, lamb wouldn't have been there, ruggs wouldn't have been there.  Jefferson was there, but buffalo didn't know that - and he always seemed to project as a #2 WR.  

I get it- I just tend to talk about the draft class as the rookies acquired vs the picks spent on them.

Rolling in trades for vets is nice and all but then you have to discuss the FA opportunity cost of not signing a guy at the higher pay rate too. Just oversimplifies the equation to say diggs was better than 22. He should be better because he’s 22 AND whatever the gap between 22s pay and his could’ve produced for the team.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I get it- I just tend to talk about the draft class as the rookies acquired vs the picks spent on them.

Rolling in trades for vets is nice and all but then you have to discuss the FA opportunity cost of not signing a guy at the higher pay rate too. Just oversimplifies the equation to say diggs was better than 22. He should be better because he’s 22 AND whatever the gap between 22s pay and his could’ve produced for the team.

Not to hijack the thread but as a thread a lil while ago pointed out - after C. Bennet - Diggs is the BEST trade made for the Bills of all times and Diggs is making that trade look awesome!  AND he is moving in on the Bennet trade as best ever......hard to believe that at 22 there would be more of an impact player available to the Bills than Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Not to hijack the thread but as a thread a lil while ago pointed out - after C. Bennet - Diggs is the BEST trade made for the Bills of all times and Diggs is making that trade look awesome!  AND he is moving in on the Bennet trade as best ever......hard to believe that at 22 there would be more of an impact player available to the Bills than Diggs.

that kind of misses the point I was making completely though 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

wait- are you serious?

Yes, I am serious.  From my memory with previous Bill's draft classes there were always a few picks that never made the team.  This class seems different.  Thanks for your feedback.

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

Diggs being basically 1st has been great.  AJ and Moss weren't reaches and seem to be players. You drafted a kicker who made the team.  Late round rookie WR looked solid in camp, and with a few guys likely off the roster he may get a shot next year.  Jackson didn't look out of place at DB either so he can compete to start somewhere down the line.  

A little crazy that Justin Jefferson the WR Minnesota took with our pick at 22 has been almost as good as a rookie...he has 42 catches for a whopping 762 yards, good for 18.1 yards per reception, including 4 100+ yard games...he is definitely someone to watch over the next few years...

That being said, no way we could have known that and we already know what Diggs had the potential to be and what he already was...plenty of receivers who have had a great 1st year and then regressed from there....not predicting it with Jefferson, but it wouldn't be the first time it happened...

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

that kind of misses the point I was making completely though 

What I am saying that he IS BETTER than your qualifier that you apply - I just didn't come right out and say that as I should have - my bad.  Bottom line a real good move by Beane

4 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

What I am saying that he IS BETTER than your qualifier that you apply - I just didn't come right out and say that as I should have - my bad.  Bottom line a real good move by Beane

my point was he should be, and you are arguing he is 😂

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

But do the Bills ever really compete for the top tier FA's? We tend to overpay for average starters and never really compete for Top 3 players (in their prime) at impact positions. The trade for Diggs was about the only way to bring bone fide level of talent to the team.  

10 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

But do the Bills ever really compete for the top tier FA's? We tend to overpay for average starters and never really compete for Top 3 players (in their prime) at impact positions. The trade for Diggs was about the only way to bring bone fide level of talent to the team.  

im not arguing the value. I think it was a great move.

I’m saying I tend to have discussions about the draft class isolated to the players picked vs where they are picked. because it’s the only apples-apples. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

A little crazy that Justin Jefferson the WR Minnesota took with our pick at 22 has been almost as good as a rookie...he has 42 catches for a whopping 762 yards, good for 18.1 yards per reception, including 4 100+ yard games...he is definitely someone to watch over the next few years...

That being said, no way we could have known that and we already know what Diggs had the potential to be and what he already was...plenty of receivers who have had a great 1st year and then regressed from there....not predicting it with Jefferson, but it wouldn't be the first time it happened...

He landed in a good spot.  Gets diggs targets, and with Thielen drawing more of the tougher coverages.  I like him a lot though - great back shoulder guy, great hands, fights for extra yards.  A bit like JuJu, some of that tyler boyd - both really good players, and he gets to mentor with Thielen.  I don't think he's going to get tons of long TDs, but he's good now and going to be a great player.  

Among the actual draft picks there hasn't been anyone who has stood out as a likely star...........so early returns aren't exceptional.

We have seen flashes of excellent play from some of them........but it's not uncommon for rookies to get lot's of opportunity and playing time out of necessity or just because of the teams draft investment in them.

But then when they don't show a lot of improvement their playing time gets cut the next year.   

Think Brandon Spoon.......starts 14 games for the Bills as a rookie at MLB.........never plays another down in the NFL.

For further perspective remember that last year at this time a lot of people felt Cody Ford, Devin Singletary and Dawson Knox looked like studs in the making and they'd fight you if you suggested otherwise.

They've all had lousy second seasons and many of the same fans want to fight THEM now.

Probably the Bills best looking draft class at midseason in the 2000's was the 2007 class:

1. Marshawn Lynch

2. Paul Posluszny

3. Trent Edwards

Fans were thinking we probably had 3 perennial Pro Bowl players.................but none of them even made it to contract #2 with Buffalo.

The upside is that in a couple years the players could be a lot better.    Fred Jackson was a rookie UDFA on that 2007 team.

• Thank you (+1) 1