1st time in NFL history - all Black officials for Monday Night Football

PUNT750

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

It doesn't seem like you are against this or have any issues, but you're trying to find something negative anyway. Why?

Nothing negative at all my kids are mixed and I have black family and we talk about this stuff All the time and what they tell me is they just want to go to work and be lifted up because they do a good job not because there black. So maybe that’s the negativity you see I just want everyone to be lifted up for who they are and the good job they do not because I’m black or mixed 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, 97bills said:

Nothing negative at all my kids are mixed and I have black family and we talk about this stuff All the time and what they tell me is they just want to go to work and be lifted up because they do a good job not because there black. So maybe that’s the negativity you see I just want everyone to be lifted up for who they are and the good job they do not because I’m black or mixed 

Most of us hope for that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

The question is not why it hasn’t happened before but why the NFL is making a deal of it. Someone was looking at this, counting colors. Why is all newsworthy? ⅓ of the NFLs refs are black. Call me when they’re all Eskimo.

exactly. 

27 minutes ago, PUNT750 said:

The NFL announced they will have an all-Black officiating crew for the first time in NFL history for the Rams vs. Bucs this Monday night. 

I was surprised this story was news-worthy.  It should have happened years ago.

Any comments?

Why are you surprised that it's newsworthy if it should have happened years ago? 

Personally, I think it's worth noting and nice to see, but I don't think an all-(fill in the blank) officiating crew should ever be a goal unless fill-in-the-blank is pro. 

Just now, whatdrought said:

I mean... okay?... are they good referees? Does their working the game have more to do with their skin, or their capacity? If they blow the game and officiate poorly are we to infer that black refs are worse?

You’re overthinking it. It hasn’t happened before. It’s significant without necessarily being indicative.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean... okay?... are they good referees? Does their working the game have more to do with their skin, or their capacity? If they blow the game and officiate poorly are we to infer that black refs are worse?

Did we(you) ask the same thing each week in past years about white refs? Why do you think there were white refs in the 60's and 70's and not blacks?

Was it the color of their skin or capacity that got them jobs?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

WOW - such a lame comment.

48 minutes ago, 97bills said:

Your exactly right and I think it should of happened long ago but just for the simple reason those men got up and went to work and if on that day they were all black that’s how the cards fell. Not because your trying to put something together 

that’s a fantastic ideal. And I agree it’s the optimum way for this to have happened decades ago.

And there’s a good chance that’s how it’s happening now. I see no indication they are pulling random guys out of a temp agency looking for work after being laid off from their travel agency job. 

but I think there’s something to be said for putting some light on these breakthroughs and when it’s not going to hurt quality even facilitating them a bit. Because showing people that they have a spot in the role, you increase the potential size of that talent pipeline for years to come. 

29 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean... okay?... are they good referees? Does their working the game have more to do with their skin, or their capacity? If they blow the game and officiate poorly are we to infer that black refs are worse?

All refs are equally worthless.

worthless.jpg.d89c73135ee6ac65d2c754d52fc6f464.jpg

• Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You’re overthinking it. It hasn’t happened before. It’s significant without necessarily being indicative.

and let’s not act like it’s getting boatloads of attention either. It’s unfortunate that it hasn’t happened, but now it is. Cool, and on to discussing the game, right? I think it can be mentioned without acting like the narrative is being forced in this case.

40 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I guess that depends on the reason it behind it. Did they get assigned based on the same assigning method always used? If so, it’s just a happenstance that they’re all black and it is significant that it’s the first time happening. 

If, rather, it’s happening because someone said “we need a full black referee team” then it’s stupid.

32 minutes ago, LB48 said:

WOW - such a lame comment.

Aw, are your feel feels hurt from the other thread? 

38 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Did we(you) ask the same thing each week in past years about white refs? Why do you think there were white refs in the 60's and 70's and not blacks?

Was it the color of their skin or capacity that got them jobs?

No, it was because of racism and segregation. Are you saying that’s what’s happening here?

Edited by whatdrought
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well, it seems to me that the NFL is looking for some kind of pat on the back, which seems disingenuous. This should have happened years ago, even by accident. And somehow it never has. They should be trying to hide the fact that is has never happened, not looking for praise.

I think there's a difference between looking for praise/a pat on the back and bringing a positive development/step forward to people's attention.  What good would it do to revisit the past?  We need to move forward.

Our country is more racially divided today than it has been (outwardly) in decades.

I don't know why anyone would criticize the NFL for doing something to help that situation.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I guess that depends on the reason it behind it. Did they get assigned based on the same assigning method always used? If so, it’s just a happenstance that they’re all black and it is significant that it’s the first time happening. 

If, rather, it’s happening because someone said “we need a full black referee team” then it’s stupid.

Aw, are your feel feels hurt from the other thread? 

No, it was because of racism and segregation. Are you saying that’s what’s happening here?

giving equal opportunity isn't racism.