1st time in NFL history - all Black officials for Monday Night Football

PUNT750

The NFL announced they will have an all-Black officiating crew for the first time in NFL history for the Rams vs. Bucs this Monday night. 

I was surprised this story was news-worthy.  It should have happened years ago.

Any comments?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, 97bills said:

I think the best players the best coaches and GM plus refs should be on the field no matter of color or anything else. Stop pressing 

By your logic, which isn't wrong, there likely would have been an all black crew long ago, since we know that many of the white crews have really sucked.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

First time in HISTORY that there is an all black crew.  Are you worried it might not be the best possible combination and they are doing it to please people? 

Not at all if there a good crew rock on but I do think people try to do things to make other happy. 

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Which isn't a bad thing per se, but it's probably also the right thing to have happen by now.

Your exactly right and I think it should of happened long ago but just for the simple reason those men got up and went to work and if on that day they were all black that’s how the cards fell. Not because your trying to put something together 

7 minutes ago, 97bills said:

Not at all if there a good crew rock on but I do think people try to do things to make other happy. 

It doesn't seem like you are against this or have any issues, but you're trying to find something negative anyway. Why?

Just now, 97bills said:

Your exactly right and I think it should of happened long ago but just for the simple reason those men got up and went to work and if on that day they were all black that’s how the cards fell. Not because your trying to put something together 

sometimes you have to force things, progress doesn't just happen, even if we want it to.

9 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Progress is good, even if it annoys some people.

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Such a simple concept; one that continues to be taught to resist.

Well, it seems to me that the NFL is looking for some kind of pat on the back, which seems disingenuous. This should have happened years ago, even by accident. And somehow it never has. They should be trying to hide the fact that is has never happened, not looking for praise.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Just in Atlanta said:

The question is not why it hasn’t happened before but why the NFL is making a deal of it. Someone was looking at this, counting colors. Why is all newsworthy? ⅓ of the NFLs refs are black. Call me when they’re all Eskimo.

because it's the first time this has happened in the history of the NFL. It's newsworthy today, hopefully tomorrow these types of things won't need to be newsworthy, but that's where we are right now.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well, it seems to me that the NFL is looking for some kind of pat on the back, which seems disingenuous. This should have happened years ago, even by accident. And somehow it never has. They should be trying to hide the fact that is has never happened, not looking for praise.

If this is the worst thing to come out of this, I guess that's progress in itself.  Also, the NFL is actively trying to have a positive impact on society, whatever the motivation, it's a good thing. Baby steps are ok too. We don't need perfection, just progress. It's not always clean.

• Like (+1) 1