Allen

Watson

Burrow

Herbert

Murray

Jackson

Tua

Mayfield

Allen is the most complete QB of all.  Watson is a close second.  Burrow and Herbert look like they are on the way to being great pocket passers.  As I posted before, Herbert was never this good a passer at Oregon.  He had the tools but never lived up to the hype at Oregon.  Good for him.  Murray gets the edge over Jackson.  Murray is a better passer. Jackson a better pure runner.  I worry the most about Murray being able to take the hits. Tua is an unknown and Baker is already a bust.  I'd still take Darnold over Baker.  

That’s how I would take them as well 

expect I would put Tua ahead of Jackson 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I think would happen due to perceptions around the league:   1. Deshaun Watson 2. Kyler Murray 3. Lamar Jackson 4. Joe Burrow 5. Tua Tagovailoa 6. Josh Allen 

Baker Mayfield has the most commercials so he must be good   #1 Mayfield #2 Allen

Allen over anyone except Mahomes.   That being said, I’d like to see Josh in Mahomes’ offense.

2 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

If there was a re-draft with the following QB's what order do you think they'd get drafted?

Josh Allen

Tua 

Joe Burrow

Justin Herbert

Lamar Jackson

Kyler Murray

Baker Mayfield

Deshaun Watson

Allen

Burrow

Kyler

Watson 

lamar

Tua

Herbert

Baker 

• Like (+1) 1

1) Allen , top 1 at passing yards after 10 weeks

2) Herbert , very impressive for rookie 

3) Murray , fun to watch

4)  Burrow

5) Jackson already MVP , but will go down

6) Watson

7) Tua

8 ) Mayfield Overhyped average player

Interesting that Darnold is out of discussion though he was drafted before Allen and Jackson 

59 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Baker Mayfield has the most commercials so he must be good

#1 Mayfield

#2 Allen

Which shoe company has he got a contract with?  I need a recommendation for something light and quick when I run from the cops.

They forgot Rosen!  More 'mistakes'! 😕

• Haha (+1) 1
11 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

If there was a re-draft with the following QB's what order do you think they'd get drafted?

Josh Allen

Tua 

Joe Burrow

Justin Herbert

Lamar Jackson

Kyler Murray

Baker Mayfield

Deshaun Watson

1.  Deshaun Watson - He's been the best guy on this list for a few years now.

2.  Josh Allen - Highest upside in the league and now starting to show his potential.  Could be #1 on the list soon.

3.  Kyler Murray - Fantastic dual threat.  Better than Lamar Jackson as a thrower, but not quite at Allen's level yet.

4-5.  Joe Burrow/Justin Herbert - This is a true toss-up.  Both have been very good as rookies.

6.  Lamar Jackson - I still think he's a system QB that is gradually getting figured out by the rest of the NFL.

7.  Tua T - Hasn't shown enough yet to put higher.

8.  Baker Mayfield - He's surrounded by loads of talent, but seems to have settled in as a middle of the pack guy.

12 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Josh Allen

Tua 

Joe Burrow

Justin Herbert

Lamar Jackson

Kyler Murray

Baker Mayfield

Deshaun Watson

What I think would happen due to perceptions around the league:

1. Deshaun Watson

2. Kyler Murray

3. Lamar Jackson

4. Joe Burrow

5. Tua Tagovailoa

6. Josh Allen 

7. Justin Herbert

8. Baker Mayfield

My own personal list:

1. Josh Allen - Like most Bills fans I've watched every single minute of every single game he has played thus far. To think of where he was as a rookie and to see where he is now is nothing short of amazing. In large part when he first stepped on the field he was a "one read and run" QB. He trusted his cannon arm way too often. He didn't throw receivers open, but rather waited for them to be open then throw the ball. I watched the young man take a step forward from year one to two that was surely promising. He cut down on the mistakes, started going through to his 2nd or 3rd reads, turned the ball over less, showed improved accuracy, and you started to see that clutch gene really emerge. In year three he has vaulted himself into top 8 QB conversation, his accuracy is up almost 10%, he is reading defenses with greater ease, is light years better against the blitz than in previous seasons, is throwing his receivers open, and his ball placement is vastly improved as to give his guys YAC opportunities on almost every play. Those deep passes he couldn't seem to hit if his life depended on it in year two have turned into a throw where you expect him to give his guy at least an opportunity to come down with it every time. The sky is the limit for this young man. He's only in his 3rd year and 24 years old. Is he perfect? Absolutely not, but we finally have a Franchise QB and I wouldn't take anyone else at this point. 

2. Deshaun Watson - Watson can make any throw on the field with accuracy. He also has that clutch gene he has displayed at times. He will still hold the ball too long and take unnecessary sacks, but so does Josh. I liked Watson in college. I think he's a top tier NFL QB. He's taken the blunt of the punishment on some absolutely stupid personnel decisions that have lessened the team around him and hampered them building in the immediate future. Once they get a solid GM and a better coaching staff you will see him get his team back on the right track. 

3. Joe Burrow - The kid's just got that "it" factor. He can make every throw, has poise in the pocket like no other rookie I can remember watching, already goes through his progressions well, and he is doing this behind an absolutely putrid OL. Once they truly start improving the OL you will see him vault into the top tier of the league for NFL QB's. 

4. Kyler Murray - Murray is as exciting as they come. We all got to witness it first hand on Sunday. Just when you think you have him cornered, he'll juke a guy out of his shoes to take off for a big gain running or buy time for a receiver to get open. Though he uses his legs on many occasions, he's got the arm, accuracy, and mental make up to kill you throwing the ball as well. 

5. Justin Herbert - This is another rookie QB who has absolutely been impressive since day one taking over for the Chargers. He's big, mobile, can throw the ball all over the field with accuracy, and is already going through his progressions with relative ease. He is only a rookie so his recognition of defenses will improve with reps, as well as his adjustments to the speed of the game. The future is bright for this young man. 

6. Lamar Jackson - The guy is lightning in a bottle. He's the most dynamic running QB the NFL has ever seen. He uses his legs on more occasions than not to allow his guys to break away from the initial coverage and make receptions. He excels at "backyard football", meaning when a play breaks down he's the most dangerous and at his best. At the same time this is year three and he still can't consistently read a defense or throw a ball outside of the hashes. When his team gets down he is not going to lead them back throwing the football from the pocket in most cases. At some point he's going to have to show growth and exhibit some of the nuances you want to see from a QB. If not, when his legs start to go, or his body begins to break down, then his game will disappear completely. He still has time to improve of course, but will he is the question. 

7. Tua Tagovailoa - It's only 3 games in so it's hard to really get a read on him just yet. I know from his time at Alabama that he can play the QB position. He can make all the throws. He was clutch in college. The fact remains that he has an injury history as long as Antonio Brown's rap sheet. Will he be able to hold up in the NFL for 10-15 years is my only question that puts him at #7. I don't have that question as much with the 6 guys I listed before him.

8. Baker Mayfield -  Baker flashed as a rookie, but has been wildly inconsistent for the most part. Honestly, I expected more after watching him in college. It seems he bought into his own hype after that first year and has failed to show any real progress since. It almost reminds me of Robert Griffin, minus the devastating knee injury. There is not a single person on this list I would put him in front of. 

Edited by H2o
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
13 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

Josh Allen

Tua 

Joe Burrow

Justin Herbert

Lamar Jackson

Kyler Murray

Baker Mayfield

Deshaun Watson

As of today I would do this order:

1. Watson (Proved he can win and has no help and awful org around him, they literally traded Hopkins for peanuts)

2. Allen (He has grown and closed the gap with Lamar where long term his future is brighter. Win the division and have some playoff success and I would put him over Watson)

3. Lamar (Amazing talent, but legitimate questions about his passing have appeared. I think he will be fine, but last year may have been his best year in a dynamic sense)

4. Kyler Murray (He is what people want Lamar to be and may pass him by the end of this season. He can pass and run, the kid is lights out fun and awesome)

5. Joe Burrow (He very likely could be 1 within a year or two. Need to see more but that is less on him and more on the Bengals to give him the weapons he needs)

6. Tua- I liked him a ton in college and he has had a decent start. The wins masked that the Rams game he wasn't very good and same in the Chargers. Regardless he is going to get a lot of help and has the right coaching staff to be a really good player. He reminds me of a kinder more mobile Philip Rivers.

7. Baker Mayfield (Major questions as he has regressed for sure since his first season. Even if Cleveland makes the playoffs with him, it feels more because of the team around him then Baker)

8. Justin Herbert (Nice start just need to see a lot more. Reminds me of Josh Allen lite, talent is there just needs some time. Also being with the Chargers feels like a death sentence to his career winning wise)

Truthfully 1-5 you can change the order and I wouldn't complain. I think Lamar ironically after winning MVP is closet to falling to 5 and the rest ascending, but we will see.

Edited by corta765

Here's my list. No knock on Allen, as I see the top 4-5 as all being excellent QBs. Burrow's limit will be that he is on the Bengals, but I think he is going to be an amazing QB. I put Mayfield last because to me he's an Alex Smith type QB. Fine, but nothing exciting. I'm not sold on Tua, especially after he said he thought the NFL would be harder. Just wait, it will be!

Burrow

Murray

Watson

Allen

Herbert

Jackson

Tua

Mayfield

11 hours ago, High Football IQ said:

If we are talking about current body of work since they've been in the league:

1) Watson

2) Allen

3) Jackson

4) Murray

5) Mayfield

6) Burrow

7) Herbert

8 ) Tua

Regarding future potential it's a different story:

1) Murray

2) Tua

3) Burrow

4) Allen (no this isn't a knock, just think the 3 above him have ridiculous ceiling sand Allen may be at his)

5) Herbert

6) Jackson

7) Watson

8 ) Mayfield

I'm soooo confused by this. What evidence is there to make you believe Josh is at his ceiling?  If we're going by ceiling shouldn't he be #1?

Look at his improvements year by year and in year 3, he's already leading the league in yards, has ~ 3:1 INT ratio and is still making boneheaded plays. He is only going to get better. So if he's in year 3 and leading the league in yards and it's clearly not a fluke as game after game he makes jaw dropping throws/ plays while ALSO making boneheaded plays (that can be corrected).... where do you suggest his ceiling comes from? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I still think Darnold could end up having a better career than Mayfield, if he gets to a team like SF, Chicago, Philly, or even CLE

Rosen was the only total, complete bust of the bunch from the 1st round that year, IMO. 

His entitled attitude and lack of physical skills are a bad combo. The guy sat there with Aaron Rogers talking about how he was going to win 7-8 super Bowls. Try winning a spot on an active roster first, Rosen! 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

This is a very interesting topic. For many of these players -- especially the rookies -- it really is too early to say. Tua, in particular, has only played in a handful of games and very little has been asked of him. So anyone predicting great things (or, conversely that he is a bust) based on the small NFL sample size is not being intellectually honest. Burrow and Herbert, meanwhile, already appear to have passed the eyeball test. However, if we look back at last year, similar things were said about Daniel Jones, who has regressed badly in his 2nd year.

With the small sample size, it really is hard to guess what the ceiling for any of these players will be. And there are so many factors that go into the equation. Talent (of course)? What is the player's real level of commitment to improving his craft? What kind of coaching staff does he have? Supporting cast? Continuity? Health? I know Mahomes is not on the list, but he has been the most successful young QB the past two seasons because he has all of these things in spades.

The interesting thing about most of them is that they were high profile college players who won championships, the Heissman and/or played against top competition in college. They were highly groomed as youths and were the BMOC when they set foot on the football field. The exception, of course, is Josh, who was a "late bloomer" in high school, did not field offers from major universities, and entered the NFL with plenty of (justifiable) question marks. But he has worked hard to get better -- and he has improved significantly each year that he has been in the league. And he genuinely seems to learn from his mistakes.

I am not sure that there really is such a thing as a "ceiling" for him. From a physical stand-point the arm strength, mobility, etc. is undeniable. He could literally play in any kind of system. I contrast that, for example, with Lamar Jackson, who really needs to be in the right system to be successful. The take by everyone going into the season was that the Bills were a pretty good team -- as long as Josh Allen didn't screw up too bad. The narrative now has to be that -- with the decline of the defense and the absence of any kind of consistent running game -- Josh Allen has carried the team to a fine 7-3 record going into the bye. It is exciting to imagine how successful he could be if the defense improved (and his propensity to play "hero" ball alleviated) and a decent running game actually helped set up play-action passing!

I would not trade Josh for any of the other QBs on the list.

• Like (+1) 1
11 hours ago, Artem Lipatov said:

1) Allen , top 1 at passing yards after 10 weeks

2) Herbert , very impressive for rookie 

3) Murray , fun to watch

4)  Burrow

5) Jackson already MVP , but will go down

6) Watson

7) Tua

8 ) Mayfield Overhyped average player

Interesting that Darnold is out of discussion though he was drafted before Allen and Jackson 

Switch 5 & 6 and you have a deal 

I don’t understand how everyone keeps putting Lamar ahead of Watson  , 

Edited by Putin