Picking first-time Pro Bowlers: DK Metcalf, Josh Allen shine

MJS

Here's an article up on NFL.com right now that lists Josh Allen 2nd for players who deserve to make their first pro bowl. There's some good Josh Allen stats in there that are really cool, such as the stats showing how effective he is when having 4 seconds to throw or longer:

https://www.nfl.com/news/picking-first-time-pro-bowlers-dk-metcalf-josh-allen-shine

"Josh Allen likely won't win the award, but he's made a legitimate case for NFL MVP in his third professional season -- by improving in key areas that were once his downfall.

Allen is finding success by relying on his greatest strengths: athleticism and his lauded big arm. Allen is tied for third in the NFL in passing touchdowns thrown while on the run (8-plus mph at time of release), trailing only Patrick Mahomes (nine) and Russell Wilson (seven). He's tied at six touchdowns with Aaron Rodgers, who has made a career out of throwing while moving. Allen's also improved the accuracy of his cannon-like arm, nearly doubling his completion percentage on deep passes from the previous two seasons (23.1% in 2018-19) to this season (42.9%), moving from last in that category in 2018-19 to eighth in 2020 among qualified passers. Stefon Diggs involvement helps there, no doubt, but so does play-action; Allen has completed nine of 18 passes for 295 yards and two touchdowns on deep attempts out of play-action. And lastly, Allen excels when using more than the standard three seconds to throw the ball -- he's first among QBs in completions (30), passing yards (511), TDs (five) and expected points added (26) on dropbacks that last four seconds or longer. And that's not just an occasional occurrence; Allen's rate of extended dropbacks (17.3 percent of all passes) is the highest among qualified quarterbacks.

Oh, and pressure Allen if you must, but don't expect a positive outcome. Allen owns a 62.4 completion percentage, throwing for nine touchdowns, one interception and a 105.5 passer rating against the blitz. He's done so by airing it out less, cutting down his average air yards per attempt against the blitz by nearly 2 yards from Years 1 and 2 to Year 3.

In total, Allen is playing at an elite level. This is what Buffalo dreamed of when it spent the seventh overall pick on him in 2018, and a gigantic reason for why the Bills are the favorite to win the AFC East."

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Not that it matters much, but I think Allen will really climb up the 100. It seems players in general really like Allen. iirc last year he finished 87th and Cowherd was blasting the NFL players for ranking him so high.

Cowherd went so far as to say Allen wasn't even in the top 200.  200!  In the entire NFL.

Play action

play action 

play action. 

We should be using play action on 100% of all snaps. The act of faking the run for the 1/4 second advantage is enough for me to do it every time I drop back to pass. 

It’s a strength for JA. Use it until it isn’t. 

28 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Play action

play action 

play action. 

We should be using play action on 100% of all snaps. The act of faking the run for the 1/4 second advantage is enough for me to do it every time I drop back to pass. 

It’s a strength for JA. Use it until it isn’t. 

I would assume there's a point of diminishing returns...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The video is from July.  What is he saying now?

When I have heard him this season talk about Allen he goes directly to coaching, saying Allen has been coached up well.  Which, he has, but Allen has to put the work in.

I guess it's a subtle way to acknowledge Allen is good, but also not admit he was wrong lol.

I don't have links but if you surf Cowherd's youtube channel and search for Josh Allen you will find those takes.

20 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

When I have heard him this season talk about Allen he goes directly to coaching, saying Allen has been coached up well.  Which, he has, but Allen has to put the work in.

I guess it's a subtle way to acknowledge Allen is good, but also not admit he was wrong lol.

I don't have links but if you surf Cowherd's youtube channel and search for Josh Allen you will find those takes.

I think he actually admitted to being wrong about Allen after the Raiders game. Cowherds opinion shifts like the wind according to what he thinks will get traffic though. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Cowherd went so far as to say Allen wasn't even in the top 200.  200!  In the entire NFL.

One of a thousand talking-heads who get paid to make extreme statements all day every day and 990 of them all hated JA going into this season.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

26 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I think he actually admitted to being wrong about Allen after the Raiders game. Cowherds opinion shifts like the wind according to what he thinks will get traffic though. 

He was talking about young qb’s the other day and mentioned Allen as one of the top 5 young qb’s in the league. he also actually moved the bills up one slot to #5 in his “Herd Hierarchy” this week even after a loss. Stating that a freakish miracle that never happens shouldn’t take away from the fact they had outplayed the cardinals on the road. 

But ya, I’ve also seen him try to downplay Allen this year by trying to put it on the coaches and his take on Allen when he made the top 100 was embarrassing. Saying he wasn’t even a top 200 player was absurd. Remember when everyone was going berserk that THE PLAYERS voted Allen in over Wentz? Lol. Looks like they were right. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

He was talking about young qb’s the other day and mentioned Allen as one of the top 5 young qb’s in the league. he also actually moved the bills up one slot to #5 in his “Herd Hierarchy” this week even after a loss. Stating that a freakish miracle that never happens shouldn’t take away from the fact they had outplayed the cardinals on the road. 

But ya, I’ve also seen him try to downplay Allen this year by trying to put it on the coaches and his take on Allen when he made the top 100 was embarrassing. Saying he wasn’t even a top 200 player was absurd. Remember when everyone was going berserk that THE PLAYERS voted Allen in over Wentz? Lol. Looks like they were right. 

I think a lot of Bills fans were surprised to see Allen in the top 100. Not because we didn't think he deserved it, but because we figured he wasn't recognized enough league-wide being in a small market and such. I know I was pleasantly surprised.

Just now, MJS said:

I think a lot of Bills fans were surprised to see Allen in the top 100. Not because we didn't think he deserved it, but because we figured he wasn't recognized enough league-wide being in a small market and such. I know I was pleasantly surprised.

I was honestly shocked. But it proved it wasn’t just his locker room that knew he was a gamer. The actual players obviously started taking notice last year. I would assume he’ll be top 50 or 60 this season 

5 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I was honestly shocked. But it proved it wasn’t just his locker room that knew he was a gamer. The actual players obviously started taking notice last year. I would assume he’ll be top 50 or 60 this season 

Just depends. He's leading the league in passing yards right now. If he keeps that up, throws for a bunch of TD's, and the Bills win a bunch more games, he could jump into the 20's or even higher. We'll just have to see how it pans out.