Guitar Player Mt. Rushmore

BillsPride12

Impossible to make a list like this.  

You have to narrow it down to musical genres and try to start there.

David Gilmour, EVH, SRV, and  Eric Johnson (for example) can't be compared directly; they are all some of the best guitarists of all time, but express their musicality in totally different styles.

All you're going to end up with a list like this is a group of people whose names we already know.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

David Gilmour, EVH, SRV, and  Eric Johnson (for example) can't be compared directly; they are all some of the best guitarists of all time, but express their musicality in totally different styles.

All you're going to end up with a list like this is a group of people whose names we already know.

But it's still fun lol.  I get it though, I felt the same way trying to answer the Mt. Rushmore question for stand up comedians.  Trying to come up with your Mt. Rushmore for any topic is always really difficult because you will be forced to omit people who are worthy.  

This is impossible, but I tried to pick from different styles.  Lol @Nextmanup, I categorized before I saw your post, but you're absolutely right.

Frank Zappa

Jimi Hendrix

Eddie Van Halen

David Gilmour

Honorable mentions that I didn't see in any posts above:

Tom Morello

Carlos Santana

Joe Satriani

Paul Gilbert

Warren Haynes

Edited by SinceThe70s

This is a list that should have more honorable mentions than just about any other.

In alphabetical order my list of four is below.

Chet Atkins

Buddy Guy

Mark Knopfler

Les Paul

Toward the top of the honorable for me would be JJ Cale, Hendrix, Albert King, BB King, David Gilmour and Prince who is very underrated.  Personal preference definitely plays a major role.

Edited by OGTEleven
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OGTEleven said:

This is a list that should have more honorable mentions than just about any other.

In alphabetical order my list of four is below.

Chet Atkins

Buddy Guy

Mark Knopfler

Les Paul

Toward the top of the honorable for me would be JJ Cale, Hendrix, Albert King, BB King, David Gilmour and Prince who is very underrated.  Personal preference definitely plays a major role.

As it should.

13 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Exactly.

Chet Atkins

Roy Clark

Jimi Hendrix

Eddie Van Halen

That would be my Mt. Rushmore because they were all game-changers, IMO.

Personally, I think Hendrix and SRV are the two greatest guitarists who ever lived.  But there are so many phenomenal guitarists across multiple genres, narrowing it down to four is impossible.  It's actually frustrating to me, LOL.

Frusciante, Knopfler, Buckingham, Andy Summers, Clapton, John Mayer (incredibly underrated), Jeff Beck, David Gilmour Alex Lifeson. Al Di Meola .... all worthy of adoration and respect.

I don't listen to Jazz, but I have no doubt there are dozens of guitarists who would blow away anyone on most people's list.  But that goes back to the genre thing.  Anyway, this should be a fun thread!

Edited by Gugny

With the caveat that this comes down to personal preference and it’s impossible to say who is “best,“ my list takes into account how much the guitar factors into the song, the breath of iconic work, do I think the songs have lasting influence and did the guitarist bring something “new” to music, in no order:

- Brad May

- Jimmy Page

- Jack White

- Pete Townsend

- Bonus: Carlos Santana

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Chet Atkins

Roy Clark

Jimi Hendrix

Eddie Van Halen

That would be my Mt. Rushmore because they were all game-changers, IMO.

Personally, I think Hendrix and SRV are the two greatest guitarists who ever lived.  But there are so many phenomenal guitarists across multiple genres, narrowing it down to four is impossible.  It's actually frustrating to me, LOL.

Frusciante, Knopfler, Buckingham, Andy Summers, Clapton, John Mayer (incredibly underrated), Jeff Beck, David Gilmour Alex Lifeson. Al Di Meola .... all worthy of adoration and respect.

I don't listen to Jazz, but I have no doubt there are dozens of guitarists who would blow away anyone on most people's list.  But that goes back to the genre thing.  Anyway, this should be a fun thread!

the only wonder out loud is about what a Mount Rushmore entails. I think of it as both noteworthy but the icon element - so the unknown jazz guy probably isn’t heavily represented in the conversation in that sense. Someone like EVH and Hendrix were both game changers and icons. 

The average person can’t look at the wall and say who is that, get told the name and again ask who is that, right?

SRV, Hendrix, Clapton, Van Halen as far as pure chops.

Also a huge fan of how tasteful Brian May, David Gilmour, and John Frusciante are within the structure of the songs.  Just amazingly beautiful guitar solos, not always something you hear and say "wow that guy is incredibly technically talented" but their solos and guitar work kind of take you away.   SRV's Lenny does the same thing just very tasteful work. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.