Anyone else concerned with run game being the “top priority”?

ShakAttack

39 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And yet, there was the NE game - in which they knew we were gonna run, and by Jinks! we ran anyway.  To the tune of 190 yds, 167 were on Moss and Motor.

So if we don't have the personnel to be a good run team yet...how'd that happen?  Same guys on the field....

NE doesn't have a bad run defense.  Not elite, but not awful.  Mid-league-ish.

Well.. we haven’t done it consistently.. here we are 10 games into the season and we still haven’t got anything on the ground going at all.. Singletary and Moss combined are still well short of a 1,000 yards.. Feel like if it were going to happen it’d have happened by now..

6 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Well.. we haven’t done it consistently.. here we are 10 games into the season and we still haven’t got anything on the ground going at all.. Singletary and Moss combined are still well short of a 1,000 yards.. Feel like if it were going to happen it’d have happened by now..

I agree we haven't done it consistently.

My point was to the "not right personnel" contention.  How could the same personnel get 'er done one week, and be unable to get 'er done against other run Ds that are no better and maybe worse?

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I agree we haven't done it consistently.

My point was to the "not right personnel" contention.  How could the same personnel get 'er done one week, and be unable to get 'er done against other run Ds that are no better and maybe worse?

Could be a myriad of reasons for that.. injuries, better matchups vs that team per se but not against others, clever game planning that masked lesser talent, surprise etc.. I don’t think New England was prepared for the Bills to run the ball.. I think they expected more of an aerial attack.. Their packages weren’t aimed at stopping the run but to stop the pass..

Think a few spots on our OL need to be upgraded before we experience more consistent success.. Maybe going without a FB was detrimental to our run game? Maybe we need better blocking from our WRs and TEs too? 

Regardless, the Bills rely on the pass to establish the run... and not the run to establish the pass.. Which can be a problem for a play action QB like Allen.. think in order to be a juggernaut, we must do both..

I do think Singletary and Moss are both very good backs.. I don’t think they’re the problem at all..

On 11/18/2020 at 2:49 PM, BobBelcher said:

I am a bit concerned with reports that fixing the run game is supposedly our top priority during the bye week. 

While I definitely recognize the lack of production here, this is also the best offense we have had in years and it was at its best in the Seattle game, a game in which we practically neglected the run altogether. 

My concern is if we come out of the bye with too much of an emphasis on establishing the run game against the Chargers when we already have something that is working for us at a high level right now. 

Guess you could say I believe the offense has already established its identify and I would put more of an emphasis on making the pass game even more potent, perhaps work on where it has struggled at times against zone coverage and fixing the run game becomes a secondary priority. 

Having said that, I realize that - unfortunately - the weather will dictate the game plan to some extent and it will be important to be able to call on the run game as needed in the month of December, but again, my concern would be over-committing to establishing the run game to where it has a negative impact on our pass attack. 

There is something to be said about being on pace to have the least number of punts in team history and I am sure we would all like to keep it that way.  

Some Joe blow wrote an article detailing HIS thoughts. Not coming from the team anyways 

New England won a whole lot of games by throwing 45-50 times in the B&B era.  But when they occasionally needed to pull a running game out of their back pockets, they were able to do so.  

Buffalo needs to be able to do the same. They did it against the Pats a couple games ago. 

Just correct it, but don’t get obsessed with the run. it just keeps opponents in the game and keeps it low scoring.

one thing to note: seattle just beat zona due to running and stopping the run better than we were able to do on sunday, and their D is cheeks overall.

a very small change for us in those two things would result in very large differences on the field, so im all for it.

• Like (+1) 1

Despite what I may think, isn’t it funny that for YEARS we were led by our defense and run game, trying to figure out how to fix the pass game and now here we are, our best team since the mid-90s, led by our pass game and trying to figure out how to fix the run game and run defense.

Psrsonally, if I had to choose, I’d rather have it this way. Everyone wants to have the complete team, but who really does? Hopefully our run game can improve and complement the pass game while it remains at least as potent as it is now, and if that helps us decrease the turnovers on offense in the process, that would be the cherry on top. 

Despite their struggles, Chargers are still a pretty good team with a good defense, better than Seattle and Arizona, so it will be interesting to see what we look like coming out of the bye. Probably doesn’t help they are finally getting Ekeler back

Another perspective on the importance of the run game:

https://13wham.com/buffalo-plus/bills-latest-news/bills-better-run-its-what-super-bowl-champs-do

This does not mean that the Bills should become a running team. Not at all. But the Bills need the ability to run the ball to make the passing game more impactful. You can not ask Josh Allen to drop back 40 times a game every game. There are moments when you need to help out the offensive line and help out the quarterback by getting 4 or 5 yards. The Bills have attempted to run and haven't been able to get anything substantial outside of the Patriots game. Sean McDermott certainly agrees. ......It's a combination of poor production by the backs and a lack of solid run blocking by the line. Making the run game a viable part of the offense in the stretch run and the playoffs should be a goal of McDermott and Brian Daboll the rest of the way.