AJ Epenesa Head Injury

Motorin'

First let me say I like this guy. He's flashed some explosiveness and violence from the DE position, and has made some plays. I think losing him and Dane Jackson against the Cards hampered the defensive effort last Sunday.

Now to his head injury. I was very surprised to see him walking off the field bc the last play I remembered him in was when he chased down Kyler Murray for the tackle while attempting a wild tomahawk chop. Then he jumps up in celebration towards the Bills sideline and tumbles over as the cameras cut away. Did he face plant right in front of McDermott and give himself a concussion? 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

First let me say I like this guy. He's flashed some explosiveness and violence from the DE position, and has made some plays. I think losing him and Dane Jackson against the Cards hampered the defensive effort last Sunday.

Now to his head injury. I was very surprised to see him walking off the field bc the last play I remembered him in was when he chased down Kyler Murray for the tackle while attempting a wild tomahawk chop. Then he jumps up in celebration towards the Bills sideline and tumbles over as the cameras cut away. Did he face plant right in front of McDermott and give himself a concussion? 

Hopefully this starts at the right timestamp (4:22) - but if you watch when he tomahawk tackles, Murray falls on the side of his head/neck. It looks like he still has the adrenaline kicking until he stands up, and the concussion sets in. Kinda scary if that's how it played out, but the kid is hungryyyy. If he had to have it happen, the week before the bye is a better time than any. 

On another note, he is night and day faster from his college seasons after dropping some of the weight. He plays with enough tenacity that I'm just excited to see how the rest of his season goes. 

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

In 8 games Epenesa has participated in 110 snaps or 16% of those in games he's played.  Has 2 TFL and 2 QB hits:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EpenAJ00.htm

I'm not seeing what you're seeing. 

And 1 sack. 

I don't see enough either way yet. I am actually in favour of trying to get him on the field more so we have an idea whether he can play a bigger role next year. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Unlikely on that latter.

Bangedupbills (Dr Kyle Trimble) has this to say:

DE AJ Epenesa (Concussion)

Epenesa missed the second half of the game due to a concussion possibly sustained with 3:32 left in the 2nd quarter when he took down Kyler Murray from behind to set up 4th down. The play below shows how Epenesa attempted to knock the ball out of Murray’s hand as he took him down, regrettably slamming his head into the turf. He stood up quickly and appeared to be momentarily unsteady before walking off to the sideline motioning to his head.

He was quickly taken to the locker room for further evaluation of a head injury where he was later ruled out with a concussion. He will enter concussion protocol as does every other NFL player, but time will tell how long it will take him to return. According to what I could find from his injury analysis this summer, this is Epenesa’s first publicly documented concussion. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And 1 sack. 

I don't see enough either way yet. I am actually in favour of trying to get him on the field more so we have an idea whether he can play a bigger role next year. 

I'm giving him a big pass on this season with the lack of rookie OTAs, the shortened offseason, etc with COVID.

Hope to see much more from him next year.

• Like (+1) 8

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm giving him a big pass on this season with the lack of rookie OTAs, the shortened offseason, etc with COVID.

Hope to see much more from him next year.

This X 100!  It seems that they like to have rookies take their time getting acclimated on defense (See what they did with Oliver last year)  Let him get his feet before throwing them to the wolves.  They got him for long term, not to use this year.  Hopefully he can be a strong contributor and be the next A.Schobel on the team, never flashy but always solid and consistent. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

In 8 games Epenesa has participated in 110 snaps or 16% of those in games he's played.  Has 2 TFL and 2 QB hits:

More productive than "Mayhem" Maybin who was too busy producing this gem in the studio:

Maybe Epenesa will release something better??

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Hopefully this starts at the right timestamp (4:22) - but if you watch when he tomahawk tackles, Murray falls on the side of his head/neck. It looks like he still has the adrenaline kicking until he stands up, and the concussion sets in. Kinda scary if that's how it played out, but the kid is hungryyyy. If he had to have it happen, the week before the bye is a better time than any. 

On another note, he is night and day faster from his college seasons after dropping some of the weight. He plays with enough tenacity that I'm just excited to see how the rest of his season goes. 

Oh, I see how it happened now, thanks man. Rewatching that play you also see him chase down Murray while passing Trent Murphy was was dogin' it and had given up on the play. 

9 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Jerry Hughes has 3 TFL over 436 plays compared to AJ's 2 TFL across 110 plays. That's a TFL ever 145 plays for Jerry and every 55 plays for AJ. It's too small of a sample size probably, but you're not really making your case by focusing on the #'s. AJ's QB hits are ever 55 plays and Jerry's is 1 every 54.5 plays. 

I want to see him take snaps away from Murphy who is a waste of space far too often. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gregthekeg said:

This X 100!  It seems that they like to have rookies take their time getting acclimated on defense (See what they did with Oliver last year)  Let him get his feet before throwing them to the wolves.  They got him for long term, not to use this year.  Hopefully he can be a strong contributor and be the next A.Schobel on the team, never flashy but always solid and consistent. 

I see his ceiling be more along Shaq Lawson than Aaron Schobel.

Schobel was unsung outside of Buffalo, but a dominant pass rusher for almost a decade. Nto sure we'll see that type of production from AJ. Fingers crossed tho.

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Schobel was unsung outside of Buffalo, but a dominant pass rusher for almost a decade. Nto sure we'll see that type of production from AJ. Fingers crossed tho.

That's why I was hoping haha.  Dreams can come true!

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I like him more than I thought I would. He has some power and twitch, he is just getting caught not knowing where the block is coming from and letting blockers get into his body. If he's just rushing the passer he looks a lot better to me. I think that's going to be relatively easy to correct over time and he has a chance to be a good pass rusher. At this point I like his chances much more than R Johnson who doesn't seem to be taking that next step.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I wouldn't say he was dominant, but he did have 4 really good years in a Bills uni. I could see Epenesa having a similar career. I think a full offseason in an NFL strength and conditioning program will benefit him a lot. He looks to have dropped about 20lbs since his time at Iowa and I believe that weight loss has affected his playing strength. 

• Like (+1) 1