Bills on pace to shatter franchise record for fewest punts in a season

Big Turk

If that doesn't say how far the offense has come from the last 2 years I don't know what does...

In 1990 they set a record for the fewest punts in franchise history with 53.  

Currently through 10 games this year we only have 25, on pace for 40 for the full year.

In comparison, last year we had 79 and in 2018 we had 61.  

We set a franchise record for most punts in 1996 with 101. This was really surprising since we actually made the playoffs in that year...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

its must a bye week...

yeah its great to see the O playing well despite the O line injuries and what I consider a lack of commit to the run game esp when the other team is blitz-crazy like the Cards were.

The lack o punts also does not include any block and or fakes which I l believe are zero ?

18 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

its must a bye week...

yeah its great to see the O playing well despite the O line injuries and what I consider a lack of commit to the run game esp when the other team is blitz-crazy like the Cards were.

The lack o punts also does not include any block and or fakes which I l believe are zero ?

No...there are numerous games this year where we don't even punt in a half(usually the first half) and the Jets game we never punted the entire game...

The most the Bills have punted in any game this year is 4 times and it happened in 3 games...Arizona, Miami and KC. This lines up with our stellar offensive drive numbers off of Football Outsiders(we are pretty much top 5 in every category other than TO/drive) and our drive success rate is 2nd in the NFL only to KC at 78.5%.  

In comparison, the Bills punted 5 or more times in 10!! games last year and 4 times in 2 other games...

Bills have 5 games with 2 or fewer punts this year already and they had no games like that last year...3 was the fewest number of punts in a game and that happened 3 times.

Edited by matter2003

in the 60 year history of the franchise there have only been twenty (20) punters who boomed and shanked for the Bills...my favorites include

Paul Maguire - the guy played multiple positions: LB andd P and made it to NBC as football savant in the 1980s with lesser talent than he had on the field and he laughed like a drunk hyena...

Spike Jones - he wore # 11 in the 1970s at the same time as Gil and Bob McAdoo did  in the daze of my star-struck childhood in Cheekta-vegas

and Marvelous Marv Bateman who boomed and shanked more than the average punter

read em and weep fellas...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/career-kicking.htm

Edited by First Round Bust
sp

Just now, matter2003 said:

He is averaging 49.1 yards a punt but I guess a recent 12 yard shank really blurs people's memories.

It was a killer and I am amazed that our defense pulled his butt out of the fire on that series, but in close games he has to get more consistent.

There have been a few times where I have seen him drop it right within the 10 yard marker and if our coverage kept running they would have had a good chance to pin our opponent.

Usually our coverage guys pulled up buying the catching fake by the punt returner rather than knowing where the ball was. Can't be easy though, tracking down a 50 yard punt and running all that way down the field fighting off the guy jamming you while getting a bead on the punt and where it is heading - not an easy role to do at max speed.

28 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Remember when Moorman was the best player on the Bills?

Much like a RB who needs enough carries to get lathered up and hit their stride, Moorman had plenty of opportunities! 

How sad is it when your punter was your MVP? I felt bad for him after he got LIT UP in the Pro Bowl. 

14 minutes ago, WideNine said:

It was a killer and I am amazed that our defense pulled his butt out of the fire on that series, but in close games he has to get more consistent.

There have been a few times where I have seen him drop it right within the 10 yard marker and if our coverage kept running they would have had a good chance to pin our opponent.

Usually our coverage guys pulled up buying the catching fake by the punt returner rather than knowing where the ball was. Can't be easy though, tracking down a 50 yard punt and running all that way down the field fighting off the guy jamming you while getting a bead on the punt and where it is heading - not an easy role to do at max speed.

He has saved the offenses butt with a few 70+ yard punts this year when they have gone 3 and out inside their own 15 as well...

32 minutes ago, Augie said:

Much like a RB who needs enough carries to get lathered up and hit their stride, Moorman had plenty of opportunities! 

How sad is it when your punter was your MVP? I felt bad for him after he got LIT UP in the Pro Bowl. 

26 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

That was tough to see...

Was it Sean Taylor that did that?

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

He is averaging 49.1 yards a punt but I guess a recent 12 yard shank really blurs people's memories.

I'm not arguing his average.  He's had some great punts.  But the inconsistencies...including that 12 yard shank...hurt and can cost the Bills games.  

Just now, jkeerie said:

I'm not arguing his average.  He's had some great punts.  But the inconsistencies...including that 12 yard shank...hurt and can cost the Bills games.  

How many punters don't have these? Not many.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

If that doesn't say how far the offense has come from the last 2 years I don't know what does...

Currently through 10 games this year we only have 25, on pace for 40 for the full year.

We set a franchise record for most punts in 1996 with 101. This was really surprising since we actually made the playoffs in that year...

So this means Bills have no confidence in punter, right? :devil:

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

How many punters don't have these? Not many.

I watch a lot of football...not just the Bills...and I don't see a lot of issues with a lot of punters. There's a reason the Bills coaches bring in other punters every year to compete with Bjorquez.

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

But I thought we suck? 🙄

Great post!