TBN Jim Kubiak on Allen in Cardinals game

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And Russell Wilson (widely considered the best, 2nd best or 3rd best QB in the league) has 10 to Allens 7.  Allen also leads the NFL in passing yards, has no run game, and forced to throw constantly making it easier for teams defend when they don't have to fear the run.  

And lets be real...Allen really only threw 5 that can be truly put on him.  The Kroft INT was the biggest BS call of the season, wasn't really an INT and the other one was Roberts fault.  

Fair points on Stafford and Ryan, I still lack the confidence in them when the game is on the line, but maybe that is more their teams than them individually.  

I think Stafford delivers a LOT, but then the Lions D will give up some crazy play to Aaron Rodgers on the last play of the game (it's happened more than once!). Did you see the end of the first Lions game this season? Stafford delivered a perfect strike for a TD in the last seconds against Chicago ... but the RB dropped it despite it hitting him right in the freaking hands! And don't forget that Calvin Johnson play that was ruled an incompletion! It would have been a last second victory for Detroit. Stafford is a snakebitten QB but a good one, and he plays clutch when the game is on the line. He is simply cursed because he plays for the Lions. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

People forget that Russel Wilson and other great QB's throw picks too, miss seeing guys open, etc.  Sometimes it feels like (not this thread or this article, but this board I am referencing) people have this expectation that Allen is only good if he is perfect.  Its maddening at times.  But it is fair to critique what he did right and what he didn't do right like it is with all players.  But some other posters around here just seem to think Allen should be perfect and isn't allowed to make a mistake without again questioning his potential.  Some here are even saying he has already peaked.  

Its not about will he make a mistake, because he will as all of the greats do...its how does he bounce back and respond.  Can he have the memory of a goldfish and forget it 10 seconds later.  

And Josh has that in spades.  I mean lets be real here, Josh led us on yet another 4th quarter comeback for what should have been a perfect pass for game sealing win, on the very next drive after a critical INT mistake.  A fluke insane play by an elite WR took that focus away, but its those ice in the veins moments that tell you that no matter what we always have a chance in those situations.  

Brady has that, Montana had that, Brees has that, Wilson has that, Mahomes has that...etc.  Its a trait you can never teach, a trait that is either there or not and its rare.  Guys like Matt Ryan, Stafford, Rivers, Cousins, Goff, etc are not guys that you ever feel are clutch and will get the job done with one final play or drive.  

josh almost always scores the last time he has the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think that is spot on other than I might argue Ryan and Stafford being in the latter camp. They are actually joint 4th in fourth quarter comebacks among active players behind only Brady, Brees and Ben. Yes, they have both been in the league longer than Russ (who is 7 behind them) and longer than Mahomes who no doubt will shoot up there but they have been in less time than Rivers and Rodgers who both trail them and a significant amount less time than Brady (who is only 8 ahead in 1st) . They have also both played with some pretty horrible defences. Even this season Matt Ryan has stood on the side watching a couple of DeAndre type moments as the Falcons manage to Falcon games away. Don't think it is fair to have them as anti-clutch. They might not quite have that "man I know this guy is going to get it done" but actually they have over their careers got it done plenty. They are somewhere in the middle IMO. Not complete clutch, but not anti-clutch either.

But the way you come out of Sunday feeling better about Josh Allen (and bizarrely I do) is that he played a pretty bad game. Comfortably his worst of the season IMO. I even thought after the 2nd pick when it cut to him on the bench that the glazed over look made its first appearance of 2020. And yet, when it came to the final drive when we had to have it he played his best football of the day by far and his decision making was absolutely on point and the throw to Stefon Diggs was perfection.

As you say every Quarterback is going to have bad plays and bad games. But it is a select few who can overcome that to do what Josh did in that drive. Okay, in the end it counted for nought - but it still leaves you walking away encouraged. Our guy can play like that.... and then when the moment was biggest he can play like THAT.

it benefits Mahomes greatly as a QB that defenses have to worry about KC’s running game. Josh isn’t perfect, but I think he’s playing extremely well given our OL’s struggles and the lack of a running game (not to mention no competent big man to throw to).  I think he can get a team to bowl, just maybe not this team this year.   

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

The Bills effectively chose Tre White over a generational QB. Tre is good, but Mahomes is the best QB on the planet...

Would Mahomes really be doing that much better than Josh on this Bills team?  Swap QB’a and my money would be on KC with Josh, their players and Andy Reid.  What am I missing?  Our QB play is holding us back?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think Stafford delivers a LOT, but then the Lions D will give up some crazy play to Aaron Rodgers on the last play of the game (it's happened more than once!). Did you see the end of the first Lions game this season? Stafford delivered a perfect strike for a TD in the last seconds against Chicago ... but the RB dropped it despite it hitting him right in the freaking hands! And don't forget that Calvin Johnson play that was ruled an incompletion! It would have been a last second victory for Detroit. Stafford is a snakebitten QB but a good one, and he plays clutch when the game is on the line. He is simply cursed because he plays for the Lions. 

One of my favorite quick thinking heads up plays ever:

Stafford's fake spike call with the sneak that 21 other guys never saw coming

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

People forget that Russel Wilson and other great QB's throw picks too, miss seeing guys open, etc.  Sometimes it feels like (not this thread or this article, but this board I am referencing) people have this expectation that Allen is only good if he is perfect.  Its maddening at times.  But it is fair to critique what he did right and what he didn't do right like it is with all players.  But some other posters around here just seem to think Allen should be perfect and isn't allowed to make a mistake without again questioning his potential.  Some here are even saying he has already peaked.  

Its not about will he make a mistake, because he will as all of the greats do...its how does he bounce back and respond.  Can he have the memory of a goldfish and forget it 10 seconds later.  

And Josh has that in spades.  I mean lets be real here, Josh led us on yet another 4th quarter comeback for what should have been a perfect pass for game sealing win, on the very next drive after a critical INT mistake.  A fluke insane play by an elite WR took that focus away, but its those ice in the veins moments that tell you that no matter what we always have a chance in those situations.  

Brady has that, Montana had that, Brees has that, Wilson has that, Mahomes has that...etc.  Its a trait you can never teach, a trait that is either there or not and its rare.  Guys like Matt Ryan, Stafford, Rivers, Cousins, Goff, etc are not guys that you ever feel are clutch and will get the job done with one final play or drive.  

I’m very happy with the progress, we will never have perfection. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

MUCH appreciate those wideviews - camera cut digs off just before the mailbox, but looks like Allen was passed that part of his read, albeit correctly or not. Sure, a completion to Knox seems possible there and he is at the sticks, but this wasn't the first and only time Josh preferred the deep route to the shallow route. Very easily could have been a first there, and at least a higher percentage of completion than the actual decision.

Again, hard to tell exactly but we can at least say the read progression moves left to right, and looks to be reading the stack defender on the left side, and deep safety. He moves on pretty quickly, but man he does miss those two flat-footed defenders with Diggs splitting them. Deep safety (maybe Baker?) has already reacted to Allen's windup in the first still, but even if he stays put there a well placed sideline ball is something Diggs should come away with every time. Just b/c it is Baker and can close with the best - he likely covers that 10-15 yds since he's shading the left hash, but not in time for a well placed throw. 

All this to say, hope they're seeing this in film this week - both the potential to Diggs, and the garbage decoy concept using an RB much less Singletary specifically.

Allen still struggles with bringing his eyes down to the free man underneath, he is stubbornly anti-check-down and it is an odd problem to have with so many past Bills QBs afraid to chuck the rock. Still Allen needs to improve upon seeing those outlet guys that are just shallow of the sticks because it is a win to get a fresh set of downs to live and try to score again.

I was trying to figure out the robber concept that Peterson was playing. In another post I had mentioned that he seemed to be playing more like a free safety at times, but the analysis by Kubiak shed some light on that. I was thinking it was just veteran savvy coming off his man or abandoning his zone much like White did in our prior game, but it appears that coming off his man was by design with how they were covering Diggs.

It is another growing experience. Daboll had given Allen some ways to beat the two-deep zone looks, but those ways of bringing guys free with that deep post or with crossing routes are susceptible to that robber concept and Allen who has a tendency of staring down his receivers will have to remember to discipline himself again to look off the robber/FS or go somewhere else with the ball.

You can kind of see the chess match of defensive strategies that teams are throwing at Allen. If we had a running game worth a spit, it would not all be on his shoulders every game and it would force those safeties to play closer to the line or teams would have to sub in their heavy-nickel type packages. If we cannot run against 4-man fronts and Allen is forced into one-dimensional games where he is throwing into 2-deep zone coverage against teams with quality defensive backs, interceptions will happen.

Daboll has to figure out a way to better disguise running plays - I currently feel we are somehow telegraphing our runs and teams do seem to be subbing in their run stuffing personnel on downs where we run. I like it when we start out empty with Singletary or Moss lined up as receiver then motioning them into the backfield. I think it will help our team better understand how they are playing run with their zone packages. Also, we have to tip our hats to Arizona's defensive coach for that robber concept, timed blitzes, and they even had that odd stacked defensive line look over Ike's guard spot that stuffed our runs to Dawkins side that have been pretty productive for us.

Some things to work on over their bye.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Allen still struggles with bringing his eyes down to the free man underneath, he is stubbornly anti-check-down and it is an odd problem to have with so many past Bills QBs afraid to chuck the rock. Still Allen needs to improve upon seeing those outlet guys that are just shallow of the sticks because it is a win to get a fresh set of downs to live and try to score again.

Brett says "Touchdowns first", coach!  😁

Although oddly enough, in this case he passed up the free TD to Diggs. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

One of my favorite quick thinking heads up plays ever:

Stafford's fake spike call with the sneak that 21 other guys never saw coming

Awesome play!

6 minutes ago, Putin said:

How many ( reckless INT’s ) does R Wilson have ? 

To be fair, Gene has a point. Josh A is 14th in INT percentage right now. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing.htm#passing::pass_yds, and over the past few games the rate has climbed. He does need to clean up his game in that area. 

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yeah fair points again on Stafford

Just now, Simon said:

What balls and brains to come with that in a split second and then pull it off to win a game.

He has led the league three times in game winning drives, and in 2016 had 8. The Lions only won 9 games that season! The Lions have 4 wins now and he has 3 game winning drives. He should have 4 given that season opener too. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StafMa00.htm

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

To be fair, Gene has a point. Josh A is 14th in INT percentage right now. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/passing.htm#passing::pass_yds, and over the past few games the rate has climbed. He does need to clean up his game in that area. 

Josh would be the first to tell you that.

7 minutes ago, Simon said:

Brett says "Touchdowns first", coach!  😁

Although oddly enough, in this case he passed up the free TD to Diggs. 🤷‍♂️

TBH Simon I think by the time Diggs broke open, Allen had Marcus Golden in his lap.  I don't think Diggs was his primary, but I do think if Dion manages to block him for just a fraction of a second more Allen might have seen him. 

That was a crap throw though, off his back foot and just poor all over.

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

That was some trickery, waving his arms around yelling at his guys to hurry up and to get set and showing the universal spike signal then the keeper for the score. 

Nice.

I don't think he knew he was going to do it until he actually got to the line and saw the Dallas Dfront standing around.

And he threw a couple sick dimes just to get them there in under 30 seconds.

Here's the whole game-winning "drive"